Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 03:41 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,107,514 times

Advertisements

I have to say this really disappoints me. I had some respect for Kelly before this crap. I thought of him as a one of the few adults in the WH, and buffer between Trump and disaster. Why he would want to sully his reputation for a man like Trump we'll never know, but he will forever be tarnished after this gig. Too bad he threw it all away for a man who will throw him under the bus without a second thought the moment it suits him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 03:41 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,290,696 times
So, to recap:
  • A reporter asks Trump, "Why haven't we heard anything from you so far about the soldiers that were killed in Niger? What do you have to say about...."
  • Instead of saying something like,"We'll be providing that info at a briefing this week", he tangents to -- me good , Obama bad--in falsely jumbling how condolences have been presidentially delivered.
  • AND he told reporters they could ask Kelly whether Obama called him when his son was killed. This when he KNEW and had said Kelly didn't want to discuss his son's death. Thanks Trump. A real pal. Right under the bus.
  • Then he ignored Kelly's advice NOT to make those sensitive calls. What could go wrong?
  • Congresswoman Wilson was a MEMBER of the grieving FAMILY party going to meet Sgt. Johnson's body. Not only was the timing of the call terrible, but Trump, a renowned bungler, did just that with the condolence call (logically on speakerphone for all the grieving party to hear). Nobody's fault but his. A little thought could have provided some comfort. Trump creates a tempest and a brouhaha wherever he goes.
  • Every grieving person perceives things through their own filter. Most grieving people would feel it to be to be highly disrespectful to have something like that said about their loved one who was repeatedly generically called "your guy" with his name not mentioned.
  • Bad luck for Trump, Wilson has a voice and used it in behalf of Johnson's family who corroborated what happened. Trump deserved no protection from the consequences of his offensive behavior. Not like this was his first "oops" deserving of an "oh, well". He blunders his way through life. This was letting no cat out of the bag. The country and world knows this is Trump.
  • Had Kelly only shared his own story, he would have continued to have the support and utmost respect of most all of us. If he wanted to kvetch to his family or his buddies, fine. But he very much damaged his credibility. For most who previously perceived him as a level-headed, long-suffering guy trying to guide, contain and help the dysfunctional Trump, he clearly appeared to way overstep. He did himself no favors whatsoever. Changed his public persona from a wise mentor to someone merging with the Cult.
  • Kelly gave the impression Trump is a hapless nebbish who is "trying", rather than the malignant affliction that he is who continues to be inflicted on those he comes into contact with. Sgt. Johnson's family is one of the most recent in a long line of victims of his narcissism and sociopathy. In it's most benign form, it's evidenced as total cluelessness.

Two final thoughts:

Not every military member is the same. The words from a close friend that comforted Kelly, spoke to the strong ethos of a dedicated career soldier. Some of these young military people are there because it is the best career opportunity for them and the best means of support for their families. Most have some pride in what they do and in their military identity. But, they may not have total buy in to the actual thought of dying for your country and the whole "Hoorah" spirit (or its variations). The words that might bring comfort to a family with a strong military tradition/identity in the death of their loved one, might have a contrary effect on a the family of a serviceperson who was happy to be bringing home the bacon and looking for the day when they can transition back to civilian life with a leg up.

And the nonsense about business etiquette/protocol being used on such a personal call is just silly. It wasn't planned as a "conference call" but as a condolence call (badly executed as it was). Trump didn't apparently introduce those listening in with him. It would have been intrusive and distracting. To expect the grieving widow to do so is beyond sensibility. Her call in what she chose to do. Wilson was present but she had no duty to burst in and announce herself nor anyone else in the party. The widow's choice. If she wanted to say, " Excuse me while I dry my tears and catch my breath. Now, before we start, let me introduce the people here. Mom, Uncle John, Frederica Wilson, my three bro-in-laws, my sister-in-law and my cousin-in-law. Please forgive me, I'm not remembering everybody's name right now. I haven't slept, haven't been able to eat, the baby is kicking and I just can't think straight....." [Yes, I used a little license and exaggeration here for purposes of example. You get the jist.]

I have been nearby many, many times when someone has a PERSONAL but not PRIVATE call on speakerphone. Very seldom do they announce my or anyone's presence up front. They might say along the way, "Oh, yeah, Molly's here and thinks that's funny too." Or, "Jack's here nodding in agreement." Or "There are several of us hanging out. You know, Molly, Jack and Susan." And all my friends are mid level professionals with YEARS of experience. So not buyin' it.

Last edited by mollyblythe; 10-20-2017 at 04:10 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 03:45 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,826,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Kelly was at that speech. He was accurate that the congresswoman spent a great deal of her speech boasting about what a star she was for fast tracking legislation through to get the building named in time for the dedication ceremony.

Sounds like he got his facts mixed up, but it doesn't mean he was intentionally lying and his major point is unchanged..........she always makes it about her.

And whats with her saying FBI agents know they may not come home each day when she criticized the President for a variation of the same thought?

Amazing how quick ya'll are to jump to scream LIE when its more likely a mistake. Your hatred must run deep. Its really sickening to watch.

LOL I actually liked Kelly, which is why I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my first post.

Also, she talked extensively about the FBI's bravery, made folks stand for applause, etc during her speech. It was NOT "all about her", at least not in my opinion. Also saying "they knew what they signed up for" at a building dedication is not the same thing as saying that to a grieving widow going to bury her dead husband.

That said, I happen to agree that the congresswoman should not have said anything publicly about the call so as to avoid adding to the family's anguish at this time. In fact, I think everyone involved is too caught up in being defensive and defending their ego to do the right thing and SHUT THE HELL UP so this media frenzy can die already.

They all suck right now.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:53 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,290,696 times
Quote:
How does the Congresswoman's lack of manners have anything to do with what Trump did or did not do?
Goose/gander???

Quote:
The Congresswoman should have prompted her to tell the President she was there or alternatively she could have asked the military person to let the WH Staff making the call know she was there. What in the world is so hard for you to understand about this?
Why?

Me thinketh thou hast a higher than reasonable standard of acceptability/propriety for those not in Trump's fold and a low one for those who are. And for him, not much of one at all. At least it's good that you're clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
yeah, he didn't want any witnesses!
Uh-huh, uh-huh! Nailed it. When chronically making an ass of himself, it's always better to only have to verbally joust with ONE person over whatever asinine thing he said or did.

Last edited by mollyblythe; 10-20-2017 at 04:30 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 03:59 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,828,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
So, to recap:
  • A reporter asks Trump, "Why haven't we heard anything from you so far about the soldiers that were killed in Niger? What do you have to say about...."
  • Instead of saying something like,"We'll be providing that info at a briefing this week", he tangents to -- me good , Obama bad--in falsely jumbling how condolences have been presidentially delivered.
  • AND he told reporters they could ask Kelly whether Obama called him when his son was killed. This when he KNEW and had said Kelly didn't want to discuss his son's death. Thanks Trump. A real pal. Right under the bus.
  • Then he ignored Kelly's advice NOT to make those sensitive calls. What could go wrong?
  • Congresswoman Wilson was a MEMBER of the grieving FAMILY party going to meet Sgt. Johnson's body. Not only was the timing of the call terrible, but Trump, a renowned bungler, did just that with the condolence call (logically on speakerphone for all the grieving party to hear). Nobody's fault but his. A little thought could have provided some comfort. Trump creates a tempest and a brouhaha wherever he goes.
  • Every grieving person perceives things through their own filter. Most grieving people would feel it to be to be highly disrespectful to have something like that said about their loved one who was repeatedly generically called "your guy" with his name not mentioned.
  • Bad luck for Trump, Wilson has a voice and used it in behalf of Johnson's family who corroborated what happened. Trump deserved no protection from the consequences of his offensive behavior. Not like this was his first "oops" deserving of an "oh, well". He blunders his way through life. This was letting no cat out of the bag. The country and world knows this is Trump.
  • Had Kelly only shared his own story, he would have continued to have the support and utmost respect of most all of us. If he wanted to kvetch to his family or his buddies, fine. But he very much damaged his credibility. For most who previously perceived him as a level-headed, long-suffering guy trying to guide, contain and help the dysfunctional Trump, he clearly appeared to way overstep. He did himself no favors whatsoever. Changed his public persona from a wise mentor to someone merging with the Cult.
  • Kelly gave the impression Trump is a hapless nebbish who is "trying", rather than the malignant affliction that he is who continues to be inflicted on those he comes into contact with. Sgt. Johnson's family is one of the most recent in a long line of victims of his narcissism and sociopathy. In it's most benign form, it's evidenced as total cluelessness.

Two final thoughts:

Not every military member is the same. The words from a close friend that comforted Kelly, spoke to the strong ethos of a dedicated career soldier. Some of these young military people are there because it is the best career opportunity for them and the best means of support for their families. Most have some pride in what they do and in their military identity. But, they may not have total buy in to the actual thought of dying for your country and the whole "Hoorah" spirit (or its variations). The words that might bring comfort to a family with a strong military tradition/identity in the death of their loved one, might have a contrary effect on a the family of a serviceperson who was happy to be bringing home the bacon and looking for the day when they can transition back to civilian life with a leg up.

And the nonsense about business etiquette/protocol being used on such a personal call is just silly. It wasn't planned as a "conference call" but as a condolence call (badly executed as it was). Trump didn't apparently introduce those listening in with him. It would have been intrusive and distracting. To expect the grieving widow to do so is beyond sensibility. Her call in what she chose to do. Wilson was present but she had no duty to burst in and announce herself nor anyone else in the party. The widow's choice. If she wanted to say, " Excuse me while I dry my tears and catch my breath. Now, before we start, let me introduce the people here. Mom, Uncle John, Frederica Wilson, my three bro-in-laws, my sister-in-law and my cousin-in-law. Please forgive me, I'm not remembering everybody's name right now. I haven't slept, haven't been able to eat, the baby is kicking and I just can't think straight....." [Yes, I used a little license and exaggeration here for purposes of example. You get the jist.]
Excellent summation of the situation. It was all started by Trump when instead of answering the original question, he tried to make it about how he is better than Obama.

I would add the Kelly did himself no favors as well when he wistfully reminisced how he missed the world of 1950's Boston. Not exactly friendly to women and minorities.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:04 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,305,764 times
Quote:
Kelly was at that speech. He was accurate that the congresswoman spent a great deal of her speech boasting about what a star she was for fast tracking legislation through to get the building named in time for the dedication ceremony.Sounds like he got his facts mixed up, but it doesn't mean he was intentionally lying and his major point is unchanged..........she always makes it about her.And whats with her saying FBI agents know they may not come home each day when she criticized the President for a variation of the same thought?

Amazing how quick ya'll are to jump to scream LIE when its more likely a mistake. Your hatred must run deep. Its really sickening to watch.
Oh you mean like "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor"?

Yup--the hatred runs deep, and it is still sickening.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:05 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,466,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
LOL I actually liked Kelly, which is why I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my first post.

Also, she talked extensively about the FBI's bravery, made folks stand for applause, etc during her speech. It was NOT "all about her", at least not in my opinion. Also saying "they knew what they signed up for" at a building dedication is not the same thing as saying that to a grieving widow going to bury her dead husband.

That said, I happen to agree that the congresswoman should not have said anything publicly about the call so as to avoid adding to the family's anguish at this time. In fact, I think everyone involved is too caught up in being defensive and defending their ego to do the right thing and SHUT THE HELL UP so this media frenzy can die already.

They all suck right now.
According to CNN about a third of the speech was about her; I don't care enough to fact check them lol.

We agree this should never have been a national conversation. Quite frankly, I cant fathom egging a grieving widow on to be offended or more offended than she may have been on her own, much less go to the media over it.

The Congresswoman could have smoothed it over telling her the President meant well blah blah and/or used her position to reach out to the WH or Army to do something to smooth it over.

She comes across as a bit of a whack a doo. I have a feeling Kelly has had issues or run ins with her before, maybe in previous positions.

It will be interesting to see if he explains how he got his facts mixed up. He was so specific, it makes me think she did actually brag about getting the funding as well just somewhere/time other than in her speech.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:07 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,466,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Oh you mean like "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor"?

Yup--the hatred runs deep, and it is still sickening.
No idea what you are talking about.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,419,399 times
Even that wasn't the whole speech.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:18 PM

24,054 posts, read 15,164,594 times
Anybody working for Trump who thinks the gentle lady from Florida was cheeky because she talked about herself does not see irony.

From what I understand,,there were lots of people in the car when the POTUS telephoned. The phone was answered and put on speaker my the military person in the car.

Trump hasn't done a thing he said he would do. The WH keeps dropping the ball on the simplest things.

I too was one who gave Gen Kelly the benefit of every doubt. The week's event lead me to do a little research on him. Guantanamo and waterboarding?

Just another old white man who lives in a protected bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies