Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 10:19 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,398,248 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a private business decision.

Whatever floats your boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 10:32 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,548,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think its great. While most employees at Walmart are considered disposable and paid like serfs, those who have been there for a while can make pretty good money, well over $20 an hour. I really would like to see other retailers do the Costco model, which is to pay, and retain, good employees.

I have not been in a Walmart for over 15 years, and have no plans to ever shop there. I shop at at Target when I need some things that are commonly found in both stores. If they raise their pay I will shop there even more. I will not reward the Walton family for their sweatshops.
The problem with Walmart’s model is they don’t do anything without taking more. Yes they raised wages, BUT what is not so public is what they’ve cut:
-160 stores closed and many stores now closing overnight and eliminating their overnight crew
-New scheduling system that schedules workers wacko hours and short shifts
-New evaluation system that limits hourly associates to 2% raises instead of 2-6%
-Elimination of holiday pay. They tried to fool associates into buying that their PTO replaced it, but you don’t gain PTO for holidays, you have to withdraw from your current balance to use it.
-Change to PTO balances and accrual.
-Elimination of jobs, such as IMS, many cashiers, overnight stockers, etc

While Target is making changes, none have been near as dramatic as Walmart at squeezing the pennies. In fact, several changes are beneficial to employees such as holiday and position differentials and they are expanding instead of retracting.

To answer my own question, I don’t see Walmart upping the rate again yet. They’re too busy licking their paws trying to appease stock holders from the last wage bump.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:30 PM

78,546 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoicewithin View Post
Yes, you can get a decent one bedroom and one bathroom for about 850-900 with water included. Maybe add 200 for utilities. Throughout college, I had a roommate. We got a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom for about 1200 which we split so $600-$650 each. It was not in the most high end area but it was safe and I saved a TON of money. As two women, we loved having our own bathrooms and bedrooms!

I am talking about Detroit, Michigan.
Do you follow the point I was making with regards to a safe area apartment costing anywhere from $400 to $1500 across this fine nation?

We're discussing NATIONAL minimum wage so let's be clear as to whether we're talking about high or low cost areas because that's one of the fundamental objections to it and a CRAP TON of Senate opposition for obvious reasons.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Supply and Demand. This is how it is supposed to work. Government mandates aren’t necessary.
History has taught us otherwise. Not everyone can move or refuse to work for even a week.

The whole issue boils down to the illegal labor and cost of living differences across the country. *shrug*

Old 10-31-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
The problem with Walmart’s model is they don’t do anything without taking more. Yes they raised wages, BUT what is not so public is what they’ve cut:
-160 stores closed and many stores now closing overnight and eliminating their overnight crew
-New scheduling system that schedules workers wacko hours and short shifts
-New evaluation system that limits hourly associates to 2% raises instead of 2-6%
-Elimination of holiday pay. They tried to fool associates into buying that their PTO replaced it, but you don’t gain PTO for holidays, you have to withdraw from your current balance to use it.
-Change to PTO balances and accrual.
-Elimination of jobs, such as IMS, many cashiers, overnight stockers, etc

While Target is making changes, none have been near as dramatic as Walmart at squeezing the pennies. In fact, several changes are beneficial to employees such as holiday and position differentials and they are expanding instead of retracting.

To answer my own question, I don’t see Walmart upping the rate again yet. They’re too busy licking their paws trying to appease stock holders from the last wage bump.
What O'Danny misses out on is that Costco would never hire 90% of the walmart employees since they're substandard in either work ethic, english skills or general ability.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:50 PM

32,820 posts, read 19,516,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoicewithin View Post
As someone who is a bank manager, I will say this. It is VERY VERY difficult to keep staff on board if they are unhappy with pay. I am hiring for positions at my branch soon and the positions pay around 15-17 an hour. I am pushing to get it pushed up to 18-20 so that whoever I hire will STAY and I can retain them instead of repeating the process again and again. It is very difficult to find talent so when I find it, I want to pay them more so I can continue to run this branch. This leads to happier staff and happier clients. Client do not like seeing a new face every time they come in. So keeping the same staff will be very beneficial to both parties.

I think it is a good move. Of course, you have to gradually move the wage up. This will have staff appreciate their positions and the company more. And if they do not perform, they will get with the program real quick knowing other companies will pay much less for the same position.
I would guess that to be a bank employee, that they would have to be SKILLED.

good at math
possible an accounting background
college degree maybe even
MUST BE ABLE TO BE BONDED...

I would think some-one with that skill would deserve at least 15-20/hr

big difference from unskilled labor like fast-food, or big box stores as a stocker.....

Old 10-31-2017, 11:56 PM

32,820 posts, read 19,516,343 times
Quote:
I think its great. While most employees at Walmart are considered disposable and paid like serfs, those who have been there for a while can make pretty good money, well over $20 an hour. I really would like to see other retailers do the Costco model, which is to pay, and retain, good employees.

I have not been in a Walmart for over 15 years, and have no plans to ever shop there. I shop at at Target when I need some things that are commonly found in both stores. If they raise their pay I will shop there even more. I will not reward the Walton family for their sweatshops.
I have an issue with giving a min wage to incompetence (this is pointed mostly at the fast food workers, but also many in retail too)...I am tired of going to a store, wanting to ask a question about a product, or placing an order for fast food, and they are so incompetent, that they get the order wrong, or have zero knowledge of the section they are working in.

when I am shopping, I ask questions, I want the best product for my need, the incompetence of the retail world today is so shocking..... years ago it was about customer service, knowledge of the product, today its about a quick sale with no knowledge of the product.

last week I went to a target....asked a simple question, not even ABOUT a product, but where to find the product....kid looked at me like I had 5 heads.......incompetence

I walked from my workplace to the taco-bell a couple of blocks down...asked for a very simple order...2 chicken soft tacos with onion...... walked back to work to find they handed me 2 chopmeat(beef) soft taco's with no onion.....incompetence

I have to travel a lot to Ft. Bragg...you go down south and they put mustard on hamburgers ( my opinion is mustard is for hot dogs, while catsup is for hamburgers)....place my order at a McDonalds "two Cheeseburgers NO MUSTARD"......incompetent slugs cant even get that correct

these fast food workers of today.....incompetent slugs............... yes I said ...incompetence......and they want to demand 15/hr...they aren't evn worth 5/hr with that level of incompetence

Old 11-01-2017, 12:55 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,249,633 times
Quote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/25/targ...imum-wage.html

Citing raising difficulty finding talent and outside pressure, Target is increasing its minimum wage to 11$ this year and 15$ before the end of 2020. Some believe the move is overly aggressive, however Target believes being a trend setter will benefit them by acquiring and retain the best workers.

What are your thoughts? Is Target wise for making this decision before other retailers or the government increasing wages or are they potentially setting themselves up for a costly PR stunt? More importantly do you think other retailers will follow shortly to keep their employees from jumping ship? With less than half the locations of Walmart and its implementation of small formats they have huge potential for growth.
Workers will have their hours cut so they will be making the same money as before.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:15 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,663,813 times
Quote:

I admire your resistance to Walmart. I do my best. Although I live in a small podunk town, I'll shop at a local boutique (for clothing) or a farmers' market first (for food), then Target, then, as a last resort, Walmart. Furthermore, I know the people who own local nurseries by name, should I want to buy things for my garden.

I am fully aware of economies of scale, and I also know that economics is nicknamed the "dismal science" for a reason. I choose to spend my money locally (read: not at WallyWorld) whenever possible. Of course, everyone else's mileage may vary on that.

Target is better than Walmart by a long shot, in my book.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:31 AM

37,960 posts, read 17,902,957 times
Quote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/25/targ...imum-wage.html

Citing raising difficulty finding talent and outside pressure, Target is increasing its minimum wage to 11$ this year and 15$ before the end of 2020. Some believe the move is overly aggressive, however Target believes being a trend setter will benefit them by acquiring and retain the best workers.

What are your thoughts? Is Target wise for making this decision before other retailers or the government increasing wages or are they potentially setting themselves up for a costly PR stunt? More importantly do you think other retailers will follow shortly to keep their employees from jumping ship? With less than half the locations of Walmart and its implementation of small formats they have huge potential for growth.
It's a reaction to the welfare state. Why work for lower wages when you can get handouts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies