Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 06:28 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What a meaningless gesture.
So you are against low skill people doing better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
when I am shopping, I ask questions, I want the best product for my need, the incompetence of the retail world today is so shocking..... years ago it was about customer service, knowledge of the product, today its about a quick sale with no knowledge of the product.

last week I went to a target....asked a simple question, not even ABOUT a product, but where to find the product....kid looked at me like I had 5 heads.......incompetence

He could pass a drug test. Alot of stores cant get people past that little detail. Their insurance company insists on it.

I walked from my workplace to the taco-bell a couple of blocks down...asked for a very simple order...2 chicken soft tacos with onion...... walked back to work to find they handed me 2 chopmeat(beef) soft taco's with no onion.....incompetence

I for one LOVE ordering kiosks for fast food. Our local Quick Chek has them for their food. (Dont laugh they make a GREAT sandwich and have more choices) I can order my weird special sandwich without having to explain it 50 times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Workers will have their hours cut so they will be making the same money as before.
That remains to be seen. Many are short staff as it is. Its good for us old people tho. Stores have no choice but hire us now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog9 View Post
It's stupid leads to robots quicker. Look at your local fast food and you will see kiosks to take your order. Self payment check out at your local supermarket. Jobs are being lost
Will happen over time anyway. Being short staffed will also push this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Correct. Companies pay dearly when there is high turnover. And oddly enough, many of them don't realize it. Paying crap wages and continuing to invest money training replacement worker after replacement worker doesn't do anyone any favors and costs more long term. This is especially true when the worker is expected to work a lousy schedule i.e. weekends, nights, and holidays.
True. I sell appliances part time and hear stories about the "Good old days" Appliance guys used to pull 80K and that was only a decent guy not a star and that was 1995 dollars. People competed for the jobs. Now a decent guy pulls 35K And my manager cant find anyone. For retail, its a tougher job with alot of responsibility to crosscheck everything and fix delivery issues. If you screw up an appliance order it is a MASSIVE headache as the items are big and heavy. Headaches are huge and getting worse as delivery companies cant get people with half a brain.

There was a big conference at a different store with about 100 people from the region where a district manager (DM) threatened everyone about selling service plans. He decided to pick out one person I know whose service is perhaps 30th percentile and asks him what he will do improve and asks him what he will do without a job. He told the DM, "Go to [store name] where I know the store manager and have a standing offer." He did just that about 4 months later.

I still find alot of stores pay only 9.50ish an hour and this is NJ. They will work PT people to the limit and make their managers work as floor help 60 hours a week long before raising pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 06:40 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
unskilled labor will always be poor. that's the way it's supposed to be.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:45 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Supply and Demand. This is how it is supposed to work. Government mandates aren’t necessary.
Absolutely. In my local area I am seeing retailers and fast food restaurants with signs offering about $15 to start. Reason is my area has in the past few years got an influx of warehouses being built which pay their workers better than a fast food or retail store. Heck, even some of the managers I knew of the retail stores were quitting to go work for the Amazon warehouse or the pet supply warehouse because they pay hourly with OT.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:50 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
IMO they're going to get destroyed.

They're caught between Amazon, Costco and Walmart....and those guys have their niches nailed down.

Target is a walmart competitor, I have to say the only thing this thread has made me think about is shorting their stock.

Not that there is anything wrong for paying higher wages if it makes sense....just that they seem to be operating in the wrong niche since they're more "walmartish" and not costco.
Wal-Mart doesn't even compare to Target. Wal-Mart is a dump and I always have to wait 15 minutes to check out. At Target I've never waited more than a minute or two. And the people at Target are actually competent and happy since they aren't treated like swine.

I always choose Target over Wal-Mart if I have the opportunity.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:08 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
Costco is a great company to work for. Great pay and great benefits. They have their issues like any company, but turnover rate is low and people stay stay for a reason.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:20 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Costco has a different business model with more value per point of sale than at a Walmart. With that, and their membership fees they can afford to pay what they pay. They tend to be located in more affluent areas that have customers with money to burn.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:28 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
We have the same problem finding and hiring employees at a large chain gas station/ convenience store. Almost 70% of applicants are rejected due to not being able to pass drug test or background check. Its gotten so bad they are considering lowering the hiring standards.

Our minimum wage employees (mostly cashiers) are all older people, averages mid 20s to late 50s. Its certainly not part time students or young people working thru college. I think alot of people believe its still this way when it comes to minimum wage jobs, they dont realize times change, and these jobs are now usually the primary source of income and used to support a family.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Try this idea on for size: why work for lower wages when another company pays more and treats you better?
try this on for size: learn a SKILL, so you can EARN some real dough

min wage is for UNSKILLED labor

Old 11-01-2017, 08:10 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
My 20 year son unloads trucks at Target and he makes around that now. He has not worked there that long maybe a year.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:19 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
You may feel superior for shopping at Target(and if that's what makes you feel superior you're at a pretty low level to begin with) but I've shopped at both and have seen the same kinds of people at both. If you see a difference it may be because the two stores are in different areas or because you haven't been in a Walmart in 15 years. I've seen, and laughed at, plenty of "People of Walmart" pictures but you could make similar pictures of "People of Target" as well in my experience. Just because people jokingly call the place "Targé" doesn't mean it's really high fallutin.
I’ve been in a super Wallyworld and the people I saw were different than the types I usually see in Target, I’m not judging them, only saying they are less affluent. I don’t feel superior and apologize for saying Target shoppers are “better” because they’re not. However, both stores are in similar areas, and I recently went into Wallyworld with a friend (first time since early 2000’s) and it was People of Walmart in the flesh.

I enjoy Target more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies