Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 01:30 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While a joint might disqualify a person (and I find that ridiculous personally) they're really more worried about the harder stuff.

I've seen insurance claims from various fast food joints over the years as well as other businesses.

So you hire a tweaker to work McD's and he loses it with a rude customer and proceeds to beat them into a coma with a napkin dispenser or whatnot. You just lost huge huge money and wait.....you KNEW he did drugs and hired him anyway? Welcome to litigation my friend.

Regardless, I'm sure they're much more lenient with some positions than say forklift operator, truck driver etc.
There's not a job on the planet from which you can't be fired if you come to work obviously under the influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 01:33 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:

Paying for and demanding talent is only going to work if that's what the consumer wants.

My father worked in a factory for years and they had one product that was really well built, worked great...lasted a long time...and they got destroyed in the marketplace because other people made the same product more shoddily but 40% cheaper and people bought that instead. The consumer wanted cheap, not quality.

People have a demand curve for service, quality etc. and some will pay more for good service and others not at all. Target is betting they can beat Walmart on service by paying higher wages, it's worked for Costco but their clientel is more upscale and so is Amazons. I'm not sold that this is going to work out for Target.
Your last paragraph hits the mark. "What the customer wants" is a tough call though, because the average customer is a blend of many customers. I think your last paragraph properly illustrates why there is room for cheapo online retailers, and botique, local businesses. The internet has definitely disrupted the brick and mortar model, but it has forced the cream to rise to the top, and the others to go away.

Take that model to the Costco vs. WalMart debate, and it's why I think there is room for both. Both businesses will likely succeed, and both are the best at giving THEIR customer what they want.

Target is somewhat in the middle, no-mans land. It's a bit of a gamble but as I stated, I think it may pay off. Their bigger worry will be the online effect. They really need to offer great service to overcome that and walmart.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have yet to hear anywhere that Ford wanted his employees to be cars.
buy

Old 11-01-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I've noticed something. The less demanding the job, the more likely the employer is to require a drug test. I can understand it for someone who is going to be driving or operating heavy machinery, but really, who cares if the guy who flips burgers lights up on his off hours? Waste of time and money.
People who use drugs would have a tenancy to steal in order to support their habit. There are LOTS of reasons why its a good idea to make sure your employees are drug free. Liabilities in the event they harm a customer another

Old 11-01-2017, 01:41 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
While a joint might disqualify a person (and I find that ridiculous personally) they're really more worried about the harder stuff.

I've seen insurance claims from various fast food joints over the years as well as other businesses.

So you hire a tweaker to work McD's and he loses it with a rude customer and proceeds to beat them into a coma with a napkin dispenser or whatnot. You just lost huge huge money and wait.....you KNEW he did drugs and hired him anyway? Welcome to litigation my friend.

Regardless, I'm sure they're much more lenient with some positions than say forklift operator, truck driver etc.

I understand that but there are two problems here:

1. The hard stuff flushes out of your system very quickly even if you are a hard user. Say 2 or 3 days. Less if you are a casual user. Pot can last more than a month even with casual use.

2. If they are only concerned with the hard stuff, they shouldn't be testing for pot. They may figure smoking it is no virtue so disqualifying those people as well won't hurt but if most applicants are failing over that they need to ask themselves how important that really is.

And anecdotally there are few if any situations where they are "more lenient" if there is a testing requirement. They tend to either test for everything or test for nothing with no consideration for how vital it is for the position in question. The people who make these decisions tend to be of an older generation that has the mindset that "a drug is a drug", except for booze that is.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
That's exactly correct. This is basic economics and has existed for as long as employment has existed. When the potential labor pool is smaller, wages go up. A few people will make $15 per hour accompanied by greater automation and more unemployment.

Of course, we can't speak of facts and economics without being labeled greedy, as it just doesn't fit the leftist narrative!
Thank you. McDonalds is also heading towards more automation. They have kiosks set up now instead of having a counter person take your order. You can see where this is heading.

I just came back from the UK, most of the markets(Tesco is one) has all self check out. At most one cashier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Seems it has finally hit them that high-turnover due to low pay is costing them more than paying decent wages in the first place to retain quality employees. Wow, who would have thought? It's a miracle this company has finally seen the light. Not too many retailers ever do.
They're seeing the light all right. As I mentioned earlier the two Targets I go to here in Southern CA is really pushing self check out.

They will eliminate the need for humans. The few they do have will get the higher wage of $15 an hour.

If these people think staying at a job like this is going to get them a higher wage is foolish, besides they should have some goals. Here in Los Angeles a HS graduate can get free college tuition at a community college.

These jobs were never meant to support a family on.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:43 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
People who use drugs would have a tenancy to steal in order to support their habit. There are LOTS of reasons why its a good idea to make sure your employees are drug free. Liabilities in the event they harm a customer another
Not pot. Nobody steals to get pot. Probably more would steal to get booze than to get pot.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Not pot. Nobody steals to get pot.
yes they do.. I know numerous who have.. and yes, just to support a pot habit..

Old 11-01-2017, 04:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
That's called an ass-umption on your part, not a fact.

You can only automate the cashier jobs. Stockers and loaders, customer service jobs, drivers etc cannot be automated. The cashiers are only about 10-15% of the retail workforce. Most Target stores have automated checkout, but still have plenty of cashiers working. If they wanted to get rid of all the human cashiers they would have done so long ago but they haven't. Automated checkout helps the human cashiers during the most busy periods it doesn't replace them. That's a good thing as it reduces the extreme workload and stress on the human cashiers thus reducing turnover.
its called an incorrect ass-umption on your part

=================
Truck Drivers
Truck drivers are one of the most endangered blue-collar jobs. In May 2015, autonomous trucks began rolling down U.S. highways for the first time after Nevada licensed a new Daimler (DDAIF) Freightliner 18-wheeler called Inspiration. For now, a human has to be in the cab during the prototype phase.
Tesla Motors is working on plans for self-driving, all-electric heavy trucks, CEO Elon Musk wrote in his recent "Master Plan."
================
stock/warehouse positions
integration of automated storage and retrieval systems (ASRS), the barriers to investing in warehouse automation, the return on investment (ROI) of such automation, the things to consider as they design facilities and operations with ultimate flexibility and scalability in mind, and the technologies that can help facilities support the cold chain and multi-temp zones.
The Changing Labor Landscape–Warehouse labor continues to be problematic for food and beverage distributors and the trend is expected to continue throughout 2017 and beyond. The pool of quality labor is shrinking and millennials are not stepping up to fill the void.* This situation is creating a need to reduce distributors’ dependence on labor, which is making warehouse automation more attractive and easier to cost justify. In the past, technology additions like ASRS traditionally took many years to payback, but with the high cost of attracting, recruiting and training associates, these complex solutions can now be paid back in as little as three to four years, based on reduced headcount, improved productivity and the avoidance of costs associated with high associate turnover.

Schnuck Markets, the 100-store supermarket chain based in St. Louis, announced it will run a six-week pilot program at three locations to test robots that will move up and down store aisles to make sure shelves remain properly stocked. The robots will also scan shelves to make sure that each item is in its proper place, aligned with the correct shelf tag. Can robots keep shelves stocked at Schnucks? – RetailWire

From a supply chain management standpoint, automation (AI, robotics, etc.) removes errors their carbon-based counterparts are apt to create, and there isn’t constant training or re-training to improve work efficiency. "Teach" a robot once, via coding, and it continues to perform until the technology is surpassed or improved upon or there is physically an issue with it. Productivity, efficiency, the lack of downtime needed for human concerns like eating and sleep––automation sounds like a dream for engineers focused on speed and efficiency. Are Human Jobs at Risk With Supply Chain Automation?

Using Automation to Combat the Impending Labor Shortage | IndustryWeek

========================
customer service:
Robots will replace customer service agents – thank god for that
This is what a world of robot customer service would look like – precise, efficient, brisk. Robots will replace customer service agents

Telemarketers’ jobs have the highest chance of being automated, according to recent report. Other positions with huge potential for being overtaken by robots? Cashiers, tellers and drivers, among others, according to this new NPR interactive. Study Shows These Jobs Are Most Likely To Be Replaced By Robots

one should not assume too much, for one may find themselves assumed out of a job....

Old 11-01-2017, 04:51 PM

459 posts, read 376,096 times
Wal Marts are so dirty and big.

Target any day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies