Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 06:17 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,383,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
IMO, the miners that live on government handouts are much worse - mooching off taxpayers because your urban neighborhood has zero jobs of any type is a completely different scenario than refusing to work at Wal Mart because back in the day grandpappy earned 6 figures working the mines.
I did enjoy this line ..... some folks have no excuse for being for being mooches, others are moochers but it isn't their fault, it's the (fill in the blank with whatever floats your boat in acceptable reasons for their mooching ways ie crummy urban neighborhoods.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
These ex-miners are happy to sit in their trailers with their oxycontin fixes. They are worse than welfare cheats.
What makes them worse than welfare cheats?

Old 11-02-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
There are vast numbers of GOOD Solar and Wind jobs. I have two friends who work in the residential PV industry and they make in the area of 80-100K.

There is more work than they can handle.

We may be importing the panels but they need installed, setup, integrated with other devices and grid tied.
As we are on the subject of mooching, so glad you mentioned solar and wind jobs. In my state, they are subsidized by the utility companies. Guess who gives the utility companies their money to pay those subsidies to provide all those GOOD jobs?

Old 11-02-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The miners are a bunch of drug addicted welfare moochers. They couldn't hold a job if they even wanted and could find one.
The son of a friend is heading to WV to take a position with the mines. They can't find anyone locally who is qualified in the new skills needed and capable of working anymore.
There seems to be an inconsistency here ..... first there are no coal jobs and everyone just sits around doing drugs and refusing to retrain. Yet you have a friends son who has found a job where earlier we were told they don't exist.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Let's call them what they are - a bunch of lazy moochers who'd rather use fraud to steal money from my pocket than get off their backsides and get a job.
Getting a job doesn't mean you don't mooch, ie the solar and wind industry in my state. They steal money from my pocket each electric bill.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Same with me. At least 50% of my HS class left Scranton, PA. back in 1970.

All these unemployed trump voters are lazy, lack initiative and frankly are a bunch of pu$$ies, afraid to leave BumF***, Iowa or S***hole, Wisconsin. Waiting in their hometowns for a factory to reopen. Or a mine to reopen. Losers!!
You. of course, feel the same way about people who refuse to leave those urban neighborhoods with no jobs that another poster wrote of. (the poster was Shorman.) Though if I recall correctly that poster thought the situation for those people was different than unemployed coal miners.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:47 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,251,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I've been involved with the anthracite industry my entire life. See my post above, that is as accurate as it's going to get because I have the resources to obtain that information.
You try researching topics instead of talking out of your ass.

Do not try and put words into my mouth and if that is what you thought I said see here. No where did I say that was the average in the anthracite industry or even in PA.
No one needs a lecture. If you fined wealth as a miner, independent or other and make that wage. Great. I'm sure then you are not living in a old Coal city row-home like others I meet at my local hosey's. Or as you should know are those volunteer firehouses with bars as clubs. Very blue-collar. One especially.... have guys in hauling and what's left of independent mines. Co gen plant too. As a brother-in-law works heavy equipment. Those on Black Lung disability, who did work in mines and not with wealth for the years the worked.

No need to be rude .... with the "out the ass" comment and that I try to lecture a expert? No I saw your comment and see no average wage like that in the eastern Pa coal region. I doubt it is in West Virginia or Kentucky either.

The topic on retraining miners are NOT THOSE WITH SKILLS they can use in other industries. Its those regardless of age? Why remain common laborers or haulers, independent deliverymen, and even Big Truck operators.

Too many can't agree to disagree agreeably in the POLITICAL FORUMS. I quoted your $80,000 average post and your reply back ....saying it was a average IN THE COAL MINING INDUSTRY. I do not see these wages even remotely close to that average in PA.

I will comment no more and accept these wages are as common as you claim in the PA Coal industry. As not to be labeled rude back. I'm NOT YOUNG counting the very few years till retirement and accessing my 401K. So I'm counting on President Trump to keep the STOCKS GOING UP TILL the end of his 4-years.

But since Coal is NOT COMING BACK.... arguing this very generous average pay COAL MINERS make and losing these upper middle-class and above jobs? I'm not sure what they might be trained in to keep such good wages?

There is a home in my hometown.... where the owner has BIG Trump Banners saying .... "Wealth thru Coal". Maybe it will still come to my hometown.... a quintessential Old Anthracite row-home Coal city and its township that surrounds it. . Maybe the first home I still own there and the home I was raise my 85 yr. old mother still lives. Will at least appraise at what it was in the 90s ..... I can hope?

MY BROTHERS AND I ARE GREATFUL THE COUNTY SERVICES HER WITH DAILY CARE TO STAY IN HER HOME. Guess it's welfare..... but she stays out of the nursing home this way and my brother basically lives there now as she is not alone.

Many Coal miners Widows lived in the GOVERNMENT subsidized High-Rises (in retirement) in the region too. They did not see pensions or have 401K's I guess from their husbands good mining salaries?

Last edited by DavePa; 11-02-2017 at 08:01 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 07:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,696,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
As we are on the subject of mooching, so glad you mentioned solar and wind jobs. In my state, they are subsidized by the utility companies. Guess who gives the utility companies their money to pay those subsidies to provide all those GOOD jobs?
When I was in another state, the state Senate gave 9 BILLION dollars to the utilities to allow them to close some nuke plants and other plants earlier than planned.

I'll bet you were online complaining about that!

Heck, if it were 1920 you'd be here complaining about those blacktop roads they are building with your gas money......

Old 11-02-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
When I was in another state, the state Senate gave 9 BILLION dollars to the utilities to allow them to close some nuke plants and other plants earlier than planned.

I'll bet you were online complaining about that!

Heck, if it were 1920 you'd be here complaining about those blacktop roads they are building with your gas money......
So mooching is OK if craigiri approves?

Wouldn't know about the escapades of a state you didn't name. Also, was the mooching perpetual? The so-called renewable junk hasn't been able to sustain itself here since its unfortunate arrival. Assuming you are reporting the 9 billion number correctly, was there a continuous need to keep propping up those nuclear plants like they have to here with solar and wind?

Old 11-03-2017, 11:49 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,806,102 times
I posted an article the other day about solar power. The 2 largest solar power companies in the U.S. import all of their panels from Asia. Why are we subsidizing an industry that lies about the number of people they hire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies