Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 06:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I'm not talking about the person. Payroll REMOVES money from a company.
Employees are not assets no matter how hard you wish. They are a dime a dozen. One opening and you have thousands lining up for interviews.
Employees are not assets on the balance sheet, but human capital is as important an asset to a firm as machinery or equipment etc.

As far as employees being a dime a dozen, that's true to some extent but not for the reason you claim:

"Hirings minus openings kept trending down for years. However, in the current cycle, it fell almost to the half-million mark by mid-2012, but then kept trending down, and has been negative almost continuously since early last year. The point is that the difference between the number hired and the number of job openings is not merely shrinking, but has plunged to a negative half a million jobs. How can that be happening at the same time most headlines suggest the job market is strong? When the number of job openings surges so much faster than economic growth, it results in a large and growing divergence between those ostensible job openings and authentic hiring. This is not an indication of a truly tight labor market. If it were, wages would be soaring, whereas wage growth has actually declined in real terms since last fall. Rather, this suggests that employers are being increasingly choosy, and intensifying their hunt for the so-called “purple squirrel” – candidates with the perfect combination of skills, education and experience, who will work for peanuts. It is because purple squirrels are the rarest of creatures, that real hiring has dropped. So the spurt in headline job openings is a misleading marker, and the job market is not really as tight as some believe. There is more than enough slack for employers to be picky without needing to boost wages significantly to attract suitable candidates.
The job market reality, then, is that many of “job openings” will never be filled, as only purple squirrels need apply."

News & Events | ECRI Mobile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 06:41 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Well, I don't get a tax cut with this new plan.

Looks like the giver states are going to subsidize the leech states even more.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:41 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I stopped here.. Why exactly do you think ANYONE should have no tax burden?

And before you answer, I havent paid a dime in federal taxes for over 20 years.. I think thats completely wrong, but I follow the tax code..
Because $30k/year is poor in this country nowadays, that's why, the federal poverty rates need to be adjusted upward

Old 11-02-2017, 06:44 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
I stopped here.. Why exactly do you think ANYONE should have no tax burden?

And before you answer, I havent paid a dime in federal taxes for over 20 years.. I think thats completely wrong, but I follow the tax code..

Because they are smart?!?

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Because $30k/year is poor in this country nowadays, that's why, the federal poverty rates need to be adjusted upward
Thats not true in all areas of the nation, but that doesnt answer the question..

People poor receive benefits from the government, roads, schools, national defense..

Why do you think they shouldnt pay a dime?

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Couple changes in education:

American Opportunity Credit is continued and can go for five years with the fifth at half the amount
529 plans are continued
Employer contributions to education will be taxed.
Interest deduction for student loans eliminated

Old 11-02-2017, 06:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Thats not true in all areas of the nation, but that doesnt answer the question..

People poor receive benefits from the government, roads, schools, national defense..

Why do you think they shouldnt pay a dime?
Roads are paid for by fuel tax, and Schools are paid by property tax. We are talking federal income tax.

As far as national defense, that is funded by income tax, BUT, we should scale back our military and close most of our overseas bases, would reduce our annual liability by a good clip

Old 11-02-2017, 06:46 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,983 times
Quote:
There is no need to prove you wrong, you acknowledged it was a tax cut, not an increase..

The error with your math is that the lower end receive their money from the tax base, not from productivity, so the government must remove this money from the economy in order to pump it back into the lower income segments of the nation.. You are not deducting the effect of removing this money from the economy to begin with.

I have yet to hear about a billionaire who keeps money under their mattress. Many of them have hundreds of thousands of employees who they employ to create this wealth, so even though the wealthy have more money, you cant ignore the economic effect of putting so many to work.

No I'm not arguing they need tax cuts to stimulate, but right now so many of them have their wealth in tax shelters and the government will never see a dime of it.

Buffet, Gates, both pay very little taxes relative to their wealth because we dont tax wealth, and upon their death, their money goes to a non profit, where once again, it wont be taxed.

Do you like the status quo, or do you think its better to entice these people to put their money into the economy so it can be used and therefore taxed?

Nice deflection. I acknowledged that you can stimulate the economy by cutting taxes for the non-ultra-wealthy; not that this is a tax cut for anyone but the ultra-wealthy.

Capitalistic free-markets are driven by demand, not supply; the whole "job-creators" argument has no basis in economics. Supply-side econ is a sham.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:50 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no it doesn't....

you ''''think'''' ...wow you doubled or tripled your investment......

no I paid 150k for a 100 year old house (1912) with no updates except for the put bathrooms and heat in in 1930

I don't know what I can get for it WITHOUT ME SPENDING LOADS OF CASH FOR UPDATES....DEPENDS ON WHAT THE MARKETS SAYS....especially for a house that over 100 years old
You’re literally making no point here. Sure it’s worth less than what it would be if you fixed it up by still rose way faster than wages. A young family with entry point at today’s prices it at a severe disadvantage to you.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Roads are paid for by fuel tax, and Schools are paid by property tax. We are talking federal income tax.

As far as national defense, that is funded by income tax, BUT, we should scale back our military and close most of our overseas bases, would reduce our annual liability by a good clip
Not all school funding comes from property taxes, in fact much of it doesnt.. and if you think the military is too large thats another discussion because until that reduction takes place, it needs funded..

The nations debt is too large because we need to broaden the tax base, make more people contribute, not less.

EVERYONE receives benefits from the government, directly, or indirectly, so everyone should pay.. period
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies