Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 09:23 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
omg....I have been doing taxes for nearly 40 years

1040 is the long form tax return
1040a is the short form
1040ez is the one pager form tax return

if you ask that question...I have to ask how old are you....I knew this when I did my first taxes at 17 ( I am now 55)

I never pay to have my taxes done...it really is not hard to do yourself...just quite a bit of reading
I'm messing with you. I've always done our taxes too and I'm almost as old as you. I think you're looking at the table wrong but it's not that big of deal because it's not for sure anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:29 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
And, you're currently in that same bracket, according to what you said yesterday. Here is a table of the current brackets:

https://www.efile.com/tax-service/ta.../tax-brackets/
I think they were comparing if they were married today to being single under the GOP tax plan. Yes with that logic they will pay more.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
20% corp tax rate looks like trillions for the mega wealthy and pennies for the poor.
401k safe
mortgage relief caps.

GOP leaders unveil key details in new tax plan - CNNPolitics

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republi...-live-updates/

The poor are not effected, you *****s.
The poor do not pay income tax. In fact, if they do work and FICA does a withholding, after filing they get back more than they had deducted.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:33 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Prop 13 interferes with the free market, and gives people a perverse incentive to not sell, keeping turnover property off the market indefinitely
The alternative to prop 13 would have been runaway increases in property taxes which would have forced many people to sell because they could not afford the property taxes. Especially retired people.

I say do away with all the special treatments for homeowners. It will lower home prices and bring more people into the housing market. I am a homeowner but I think all these breaks cause more harm than good.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:50 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Your bashing an economic theory but cant answer such basic questions...

Ive wasted enough time proving you know nothing.
Says the person who thought supply-side had nothing to do with taxes (!) and is a different concept than trickle-down.....

Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
The bottom line is that upper middle will pay a good deal more due to loss of exemptions and some deductions. They appear to be the cohort that is going to pay for the tax cuts to corporations and the very wealthy. As this becomes more evident, it will have political implications. This is also the cohort that votes more consistently than any other and votes Republican as well. There is no room to change anything in a way that decreases the burdens without busting the reconciliation rules. It looks very unlikely anything of substance is going to pass without Democrats and who knows what they will demand. So when all is said and done, much will be said and little will be done. We will get a small corporate tax cut that does not blow up the budget or heap new taxes on upper middle class tax payers or reward billionaires. Is that so awful?

Old 11-02-2017, 09:56 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Do you have the link to a Trumps tax plan calculator or are you just saying this? I've tried to find a decent calculator but not one include deductions for 401K / IRA / HSA contributions
This one includes qualified plan/IRAs

https://www.calcxml.com/calculators/...tax-calculator

Old 11-02-2017, 09:57 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
The tax cut from 260k to 1,0000 is about $35,000 !

THis plan is a massive giveaway for the wealthy a 20% corp tax is a massive drop for Real estate investors and pretty much anyone who can structure their businesses to benefit from the low rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The mortgage deduction is cut in half.. how do you figure its a giant give away for real estate investors?

There isnt a tax plan on the face of the earth that those who can structure to benefit from, wont..
I'm still trying to figure out what "1,0000" is.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:00 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
omg...have you ever looked at the 1040???

lines 7-36 are all your incomes...wages...alimony etc

line 37 end side one of the form...it is you total adjusted gross income

lines 40-43 are the:
ln40 std or itemized deduction
line 41 ..line 38 minus line 40
line 42...your personal exemptions (4k x total in household)
line 43...line 41 minus line 42...this is your taxable income

line 44 see tax table ..... this is the tax owed (based on the taxable income) not based on what you already paid into the system
I asked the question in an attempt to get you to think logically. The deductions are subtracted first and then the rates are applied within each corresponding income bracket. For example, a married couple with 114k in income would subtract the 24k standard deduction first, and then the 12% rate would apply to the remaining 90k.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:00 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Prop 13 interferes with the free market, and gives people a perverse incentive to not sell, keeping turnover property off the market indefinitely
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
The alternative to prop 13 would have been runaway increases in property taxes which would have forced many people to sell because they could not afford the property taxes. Especially retired people.

I say do away with all the special treatments for homeowners. It will lower home prices and bring more people into the housing market. I am a homeowner but I think all these breaks cause more harm than good.
Very true. The property tax on my parents house would be almost tripled had prop 13 not passed. They would have had to sell the house and in fact I remember seeing a "for sale" sign in the front yard. Fortunately, prop 13 did pass and their house was taken off the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies