Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 10:34 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,549 times

Advertisements

No itemizing is going to kill millions of people, I don't know how many times that needs to be said. I know certain people don't have much going on and live simple lives so needing to deduct is a non factor. For millions this is a huge blow, all my friends are fuming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 10:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
This is probably because there is a lot of fraud about how income from the S-corp is salary and a lot of taxpayers enter small salaries to avoid paying SE tax while employees do not have that luxury. I believe it is also there to stop S-corp owners from claiming too much of the new lower pass through rate.
It will render many small businesses unprofitable. They already have expenses with health care, double payroll taxes, no benefits etc, so this tax hike might mean it does not make sense running a small business anymore. They'll save more by becoming full time employees.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:36 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, most people don't have the time to wade through 500 pages of legal text.

Small business is a loophole? For many people it is the only way to make a living.

Where on earth did you get that from ? Closing tax loopholes for all is paying your fair share.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:37 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
Quote:
It will render many small businesses unprofitable. They already have expenses with health care, double payroll taxes, no benefits etc, so this tax hike might mean it does not make sense running a small business anymore. They'll save more by becoming full time employees.
If that's the case then you better start working on your resume if you're so quick to give up.

Others will figure their way out and remain profitable.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Wait wait wait..

These small businesses are only profitable because of the tax code? We hear non stop from the left that small businesses can just raise payroll without increasing prices in the event of a a minimum wage tax increase, but now were finding out its the tax code, making businesses profitable?

REALLY?

You claim to own a business but made such a stupid statement...

Old 11-03-2017, 10:41 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
This shouldn't surprise anyone who isn't in a coma.

Pure Pub orthodoxy:

Working families are greedy and have too much, so they need to contribute more.

Millionaires are needy and deserve so much more than they already have.

Come on, workers. Give it up!

And that's all that needs to be said but you have people in here fighting that middle class should pay more in taxes while the rich get a tax cut. And even worse people in here believe 150k is rich.

How does that even make sense?

Old 11-03-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Depends upon how you look at it. If my employer did not have to pay that extra 7.5% they could pay me more. I feel I am paying it as it is part of my total compensation package along with the employer portion of health insurance.
Sure. They could pay you 7.5% more, which you would then pay to the government. More likely they'd pay you 2% more and you'd still have to pay 7.5% more to the IRS.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wait wait wait..

These small businesses are only profitable because of the tax code? We hear non stop from the left that small businesses can just raise payroll without increasing prices in the event of a a minimum wage tax increase, but now were finding out its the tax code, making businesses profitable?
What you hear, and from who, and how you understand it is 100% irrelevant to me.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:48 AM

I have not heard about them changing caps on payroll taxes, but it's probably in there too.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
While the tax laws currently give what are unfair breaks to small business owners income, we need to approach that carefully. Most of us work for small businesses and if we start messing with their balance sheets we could do more harm than good.
I agree 100%. And I'm talking about making sure we don't hurt truly small businesses, not the Koch Bros who according to Republican logic is a small business because they have a small number of owners.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 11-03-2017 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies