Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2017, 07:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times

Advertisements

Just as a side note, the heating up of calls for gun bans since 'Vegas and the Texas shooting as well as the calls for banning of suppressors is causing a run on gun shops (again). I spoke with a buddy of mine in MT who said that his local gun stores are seeing a run on guns and a mad dash to purchase suppressors. Evidently they can't restock 'em fast enough.

I guess that's one way to stimulate part of the economy...

Time to putter around and see what's going on at the shops here in AZ I guess...

Old 11-16-2017, 08:39 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,655,894 times
What I'm really getting tired of hearing is all these comparisons of the US to the UK, Australia, Japan et al. These are countries who's laws on the ownership of private weapons traces their history through a series of iron fisted monarchies. Their people are followers. They have a tradition of doing whatever they are told without question. Especially Japan.

Their laws, and the populations attitudes about personal arms, are more than several centuries, ingrained in their peoples heads. Australia is closer to being more lie the US, but they have a tradition of loyalty to the Crown of England that continued after their independence. We, the USA, do not. Their government is a constitutional monarchy ala Englands. They have only had independence since 1901, and they did not fight a war to get it. We did.

Our history and culture are vastly different from these countries we are being told we need to emulate. The Japanese are a nation of sheep. They follow without question whoever is in authority with total fatalism. Good grief folks we are NOT the Japanese! Nor would I consider living like they do to be acceptable.

Modeling the laws about ownership of personal arms after any of the nations brought up, or that residents of said nations have chimed in on here touting, is ridiculous. We are at a level with gun laws that more are quite unnecessary. If the US or even state level governments nationwide, try to enact total bans there will be Hell to pay.

Anti gunners are just going to have to be happy with what's in place and call (with the support of gun owners) for far better enforcement. Now...wouldn't that be preferable to all this constant bickering? The endless insults and comparing of cranial capacity and penile inadequacy? Good God but people need to get a grip.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,643,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Our history and culture are vastly different from these countries we are being told we need to emulate. The Japanese are a nation of sheep. They follow without question whoever is in authority with total fatalism. Good grief folks we are NOT the Japanese! Nor would I consider living like they do to be acceptable.

IDK about that, the US population is pretty darn obedient and subservient to an extremely tyrannical govt. Some may whine and cry and maybe get online to vent, but ultimately they WILL sit down and OBEY everything they are told.

I used to think the same thing about a total ban on guns (that people would not stand for it and revolt), but I highly doubt that anymore, anyone who does try to revolt or challenge will be labelled a domestic terrorist, and they will be instantly demonized by the public.

All these 'lonewolf' attacks just a slow and methodical way to sway public opinion against gun ownership by the public...its working too, with each new 'attack' more and more jump to the side of agreeing with tough new laws and regulation, eventually it will reach the level of a total ban, but that will take alot more attacks to achieve that.

This is all part of a larger plan though, to usher in tyranny disguised as security, more people than ever looking to Govt to solve problems, same thing happened with opiate drugs, they were portrayed as evil and bad, now most people actually think its good that DEA and came in between a doctor and patient, they know whats best for us mentality, even if it goes against what our constitution says.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:06 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,761,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
IDK about that, the US population is pretty darn obedient and subservient to an extremely tyrannical govt. Some may whine and cry and maybe get online to vent, but ultimately they WILL sit down and OBEY everything they are told.

I used to think the same thing about a total ban on guns (that people would not stand for it and revolt), but I highly doubt that anymore, anyone who does try to revolt or challenge will be labelled a domestic terrorist, and they will be instantly demonized by the public.

All these 'lonewolf' attacks just a slow and methodical way to sway public opinion against gun ownership by the public...its working too, with each new 'attack' more and more jump to the side of agreeing with tough new laws and regulation, eventually it will reach the level of a total ban, but that will take alot more attacks to achieve that.

This is all part of a larger plan though, to usher in tyranny disguised as security, more people than ever looking to Govt to solve problems, same thing happened with opiate drugs, they were portrayed as evil and bad, now most people actually think its good that DEA and came in between a doctor and patient, they know whats best for us mentality, even if it goes against what our constitution says.
Agreed. Also doesn't really matter why other countries have different numbers of guns and gun related incidents of violence, because what matters is the analysis and/or evaluation related to whether the amount of weapons in the hands of citizens increases or decreases the number of gun related deaths and injuries. Clearly the numbers in this regard, when compared between America and other countries, indicates that more guns definitely leads to more gun incidents of violence. That's the point of the comparison, even if the solution to the order-of-magnitude higher level of gun violence in America remains illusive.

Besides, when it comes to the populace being passive or revolting over this or that, it's not like guns are to Americans what alcohol is. And that's even without an amendment that stipulates the right for Americans to drink alcohol will not be infringed upon...

Old 11-16-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You have that backwards, the user determines the rate of fire, not the firearm, nor the action.

Miculek hitting 16 rounds in 4 seconds included 2 reloads of his 6 shot revolver.
No, wrong, I do not have it backwards. You simply don't understand...

I have noted that OF COURSE what someone can or will do with a gun depends TO SOME EXTENT on the user.

This fact, however, does NOT mean the capability of the gun to fire rapidly, without reloading, to discharge an extremely large number of rounds in a short period of time (like the StG44 for example) is dependent on the user!

Also for example, an expert driver of a car may be able to expertly handle a car capable of going 250 MPH and win a race by using such a car even though others are driving cars capable of going the same speed. However, the same driver in a car with a top speed capability of only 10 MPH will not likely win the same race even against the other drivers not as qualified.

Again, hard for me to believe this needs explaining and/or can be so hard for some to understand, but I do because I can't imagine this is so hard to understand!

I think I'm done trying, however, because I hate repeating what should not need repeating...

Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The StG44 is a select fire weapon...meaning it's a machine gun...... and thus pointless to use as an example seeing how you can't buy one without a special, difficult to get license or paying incredibly high prices for one such as that that is a collectors item made before 1986.

Unless of course you're purposely attempting to conflate the issue....

Also, try looking up how many StG44 or similar (select fire) weapons have been
used in any type of gun violence in the past few decades......especially when compared to things like cheap, "Saturday night special" handguns.

What gun control advocates want to ban are garden variety semi automatic weapons such as the AR-15.

Do they make magazines for an AR-15 (or an stg44 for that matter) that hold 550 to 600 rounds?

Even if they did, how long could you keep up that rate of fire without the barrel melting and the action jamming up?

How many people can pull a trigger 550 to 600 times a minute and how long can they continue to do so unassisted by things such as a bump stock?

Oh and for the record, I said that SEMI AUTOMATICS fire at the same rate as a revolver....not machine guns.

So why did you feel the need to imply that I was comparing revolvers to a full auto machine gun?
I know what an StG44 is...

Not conflating anything, and again, I'm not wasting time again explaining what I already have. The use of the example is for purposes of explaining how different weapons have different capabilities, regardless how difficult they may be to obtain. You are the one conflating that simple obvious fact.

If you want to further go on about what gun control advocates want, do so with them about what THEY want. If you want to address MY comments, please don't drag me into THEIR arguments that are not mine. Fair?

Old 11-16-2017, 09:26 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,597,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
What I'm really getting tired of hearing is all these comparisons of the US to the UK, Australia, Japan et al. These are countries who's laws on the ownership of private weapons traces their history through a series of iron fisted monarchies. Their people are followers. They have a tradition of doing whatever they are told without question. Especially Japan.

Their laws, and the populations attitudes about personal arms, are more than several centuries, ingrained in their peoples heads. Australia is closer to being more lie the US, but they have a tradition of loyalty to the Crown of England that continued after their independence. We, the USA, do not. Their government is a constitutional monarchy ala Englands. They have only had independence since 1901, and they did not fight a war to get it. We did.
The power of the English monarchy came to an end during the Glorious Revolution - almost 100 years before this country was even founded. Read a book.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:27 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,507,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No, wrong, I do not have it backwards. You simply don't understand...

I have noted that OF COURSE what someone can or will do with a gun depends TO SOME EXTENT on the user.

This fact, however, does NOT mean the capability of the gun to fire rapidly, without reloading, to discharge an extremely large number of rounds in a short period of time (like the StG44 for example) is dependent on the user!

Also for example, an expert driver of a car may be able to expertly handle a car capable of going 250 MPH and win a race by using such a car even though others are driving cars capable of going the same speed. However, the same driver in a car with a top speed capability of only 10 MPH will not likely win the same race even against the other drivers not as qualified.

Again, hard for me to believe this needs explaining and/or can be so hard for some to understand, but I do because I can't imagine this is so hard to understand!

I think I'm done trying, however, because I hate repeating what should not need repeating...
Because you're wrong... capability of both the firearm and race car, is dependent upon end user.

You show me a race car that can handle going around the sharpest of corners with ease. I'll show you someone who'd stuff it right into the wall.

End user is the one which determines capability of hardware...
Unless you want to argue semantics then have fun.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I missed this previously.

If you weren't talking about double action revolvers, what kind of revolvers were you talking about?
Did you also miss my comment #1052?

Old 11-16-2017, 09:28 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,597,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Because you're wrong... capability of both the firearm and race car, is dependent upon end user.

You show me a race car that can handle going around the sharpest of corners with ease. I'll show you someone who'd stuff it right into the wall.

End user is the one which determines capability of hardware...
Unless you want to argue semantics then have fun.
Oh man did you miss the point of that post. Maybe read it again and retry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies