Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 07:43 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What do you think that money would be used for?
So, giving them money will make them care about education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And? What is your point?
kind of a fake question because the post of mine that you quoted needed no explanation if you read the post I was responding to

Old 11-14-2017, 07:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
So, giving them money will make them care about education?
It might. Better teachers, access to technology, smaller class sizes have all been shown to stimulate interest in learning.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:00 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I’m still trying to figure that out. As has been pointed out by myself, and several other people from N.J., our state spends more in the poor school districts than we do in the wealthy school districts. And we have since the Abbott v. Burke decision over 30 years ago.

Those poor districts, with a seemingly unlimited amount of money, spending over $30k per student per year, are still the worst performing school districts in the state.

So what would the money be used for? That is a great question.
So instead of pampering people with free education, make them private. This free stuff only creates a voting class which can decide who rules them.

Take the largest democracies - India and USA. There poor and backward Hindi speaking states often decide who wins the Central government. Here in US also the swing states are mostly in the South or Midwest.

Mostly liberal metros do all the work but do not have much say in deciding the winner.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
This video sums up why everyone needs good schools in this country:

https://youtu.be/t-Ydoh_5EjU

Old 11-14-2017, 08:14 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Why should they have it all? Most rich off a poor man’s back

In my opinion, the word "rich" needs a better definition. Nowadays, rich just means solid middle class in the 70s or 80s.

The reason that some private schools provide the best education is because certain schools like Exeter and Andover have massive endowments relative to their size and are incomparable to 99% of public schools in the United States. Wealthy parents are also able to donate and pay the tuition for these schools to continue to provide this level of education.

Aside from the academics, the people you are surrounded by are well connected and if the high school is prestigious it will help you get into the best colleges.

All these said, there are some "rich" families still choose to send their children to the local public school because the funding provided comes from income and property taxes, the wealthier districts are able to collect more for funding. This often results in low-income families with the highest needs receiving the least resources available, the least-qualified teachers, and substandard learning facilities.

Yes, they do pay more taxes, and they should have a better school district.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I’m still trying to figure that out. As has been pointed out by myself, and several other people from N.J., our state spends more in the poor school districts than we do in the wealthy school districts. And we have, since the Abbott v. Burke decision over 30 years ago.

Those poor districts, with a seemingly unlimited amount of money, spending over $30k per student per year, are still the worst performing school districts in the state.

So what would the money be used for? That is a great question.
Well....

There are a lot of programs out there designed to foster better relationships between child and parent, family and community, parent and teacher etc. But they cost money to implement.

Extra support personnel could be hired.

Extra programming could be implemented such as before and after school tutoring, intramural activities, field trips, speaker series, etc.

Supplies could be purchased for low-income children.

That's just off the top of my head.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It might. Better teachers, access to technology, smaller class sizes have all been shown to stimulate interest in learning.
More good points about how increased funding would help low achieving schools.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:43 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sorry, I just don't buy it. Interest in learning comes stems from motivation at home. If the parents aren't interested in teaching their kids to respect authority, why on earth would you think giving them stuff at school would do anything?

Old 11-14-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Sorry, I just don't buy it. Interest in learning comes stems from motivation at home. If the parents aren't interested in teaching their kids to respect authority, why on earth would you think giving them stuff at school would do anything?
I trust years of academic research, reports from the field and empirical data vs. the opinions of people who've already made their stance on the poor and education quite clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies