Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 09:04 AM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Im not the one claiming I need a semi auto to be able to kill game. I can drop them dead with a bolt action or lever action all day long, and have never needed a semi auto in my entire life. The speed in which I might need to get off a second shot is irrelevant .

But you cannot shoot one as fast as a semi no matter what you wish to claim. Simple physics dictates that.
Everyone in this group uses a semi-auto. When you've got 12-20 geese committed to your decoys those 3 shots are invaluable.

There is a place for everything.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:04 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
There's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LORVfnFtcH0

Compared to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsE_JdzpAbI

Old 02-18-2018, 09:23 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
So the inevitable is happening. The yelling for bans , restrictions, whatever has sallied forth. The inevitable reaction will be a massive spike upward of gun sales.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:26 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Yes, let's focus on mental illness, and how we can keep guns away from people suffering from it.
we need to speak up when we find people with mental issues. we need to get them into court and have them adjudicated. if found to be mentally defective, then that judgement can be put into their record, even if it is only a civil adjudication, that would prevent them from legally purchasing a firearm.

but once again we must avoid violating their civil rights. so we have a catch 22 situation here. this is where we must do things right, cross all the Ts and dot all the Is.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:34 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So the inevitable is happening. The yelling for bans , restrictions, whatever has sallied forth. The inevitable reaction will be a massive spike upward of gun sales.
Yep

I just can't believe people think banning a type of firearm will stop mass shootings. Ridiculous lack of logic.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yep

I just can't believe people think banning a type of firearm will stop mass shootings. Ridiculous lack of logic.
They don't really believe this. But the libs will never let a good tragedy go to waste. Gotta rally the troops while emotions are high. No shame.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:11 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I agree. It seems that many are willing to have gun owners give up their rights, but not the mentally ill. Hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Oh right. We've all heard these slippery slope arguments before. Didn't buy them then, don't buy them now. When we passed the laws last century to ban automatic weapons, did that precipitate "revisiting a person's right to be presumed innocent"? We are a nation of laws. You can characterize that as being a "nanny state" if you wish, but I want to live in a country where we have common sense laws to protect all of us. I don't want people free to drive 100 miles per hour on the Interstate for example, that's why we have speed limits. Do you think that is a "nanny state" restriction?

Most people WANT common sense restrictions on what we can and cannot do. Extending the gun laws to semi-autos and other gun technologies that permit the rapid slaughter of human beings for most people is a no-brainer.
I'm not arguing slippery slope. I telling you that if you want rights taken away, put the burden on everyone equally. I don't agree with that, I think it's stupid, but so is the idea that no AR's will mean no school shootings.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:32 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I agree. It seems that many are willing to have gun owners give up their rights, but not the mentally ill. Hypocritical.

I'm not arguing slippery slope. I telling you that if you want rights taken away, put the burden on everyone equally. I don't agree with that, I think it's stupid, but so is the idea that no AR's will mean no school shootings.
We already know their game plan...if we just ban the AR. Then the next shooting, if we just ban semi-autos. Another shooting, if we just ban all hi cap mags....shooting... if we just ban pump guns....another

People only "need" single shot firearms. Yet another shooting. Well, we tried, we need to ban all firearms. Then like in China, a mass stabbing. Well, we'll need to ban all knives over 3 inches. And so on and so on while people still die.

Except, we aren't an island, we aren't all the same race. We have open borders and we are all different. This crystal ball approach of banning everything just isn't going to work here.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:35 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Game is food...
I meant, not using game and birds for food, but shooting them to bits and pieces for I guess, fun, practice for what? Why would you use an assault rifle to hunt?

I have lived in Alaska, and understand hunting for food. Using an assault rifle on birds and animals is just sick. IMO. Of course if you are somewhere and have a wild boar or other crazy animal, come at you that may be a different story.

Must be how some of the kids felt, when that nutcase was hunting them down, with his AR-15.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:36 AM

18,742 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
We all need to wake up and do SOMETHING.
A typical "Ready, fire, aim" attitude. Shouldn't it be preceded by finding out which things work and which don't, before we start implementing them? With literally decades of assaults and murders, and as many decades of trying one "gun control" scheme after another, we've got a lot of data on which schemes have delivered the result advertised, and which didn't.

Hint: Almost none of them did. In fact, they often made things worse.

And now, as usual, whiner after whiner simply demands we do the same things that have failed, over and over as a proposed "solution". One definition of "insanity" is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. Why do we keep listening to the people who clearly exhibit this characteristic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies