Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 05:02 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
What can you learn in a public school that you cannot learn on the internet? What do you learn at the university that is not available on the internet?

Although, I personally did find SOME actual use when I went for mechanical engineering, as I didn't have access to all of the lab equipment in my home
How to deal with people? If we're all just sitting away on a computer more than we already do, social skills will deteriorate. Yes, technically you can read articles on this kinda stuff, but if you aren't in situations to use it...

Old 11-19-2017, 05:02 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I can’t say how dumb I think this is because im already on my fourth infraction
Hilarious, I am on mine too and I feel the same way.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:03 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,535 times
The teachers union should just bargain for higher wages and better benefits... oh wait it does, problem solved.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:04 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
What is dumb? Needing a professor to reiterate and lecture about what is in the textbook that covers the course. Are higher learning institutions for the illiterate?

Old 11-19-2017, 05:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Hmm, where are these teachers located? I'm just asking because for my kid's entire school careers I have been asked to not only buy my kid's supplies, but also many other items that might be needed in the classrooms. Kleenex, paper towels, crayons, markers, notebook paper, construction paper, copy paper, glue, the list goes on and on and on. Any science projects which required materials I received a note from the teachers with a list of stuff to buy for my children's projects. So seriously, what are these teachers paying for out of pocket?

PS. During elementary school my children's supplies were put together with all the other supplies brought in by other parents. Then, during the year, the supplies were dolled out communally to all students. So even if students didn't bring in their supplies, they were supplied by myself and the other parents who brought in the required supplies. So the teachers weren't buying the less fortunate kid's supplies either, the other parents were.
Exactly.. we get a shopping list every single year from our school on what we're supposed to buy for the students classes, this on top of a yearly "student fee".. and sky high school taxes to boot, while the tachers earn far more than the average family in the area.

I dont begrudge them earning decent wages, but they dont need to run around whining about losing a few dollars in "tax credits".

They choose their careers, they choose who they work with, and they choose what to buy..

Old 11-19-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
What is dumb? Needing a professor to reiterate and lecture about what is in the textbook that covers the course. Are higher learning institutions for the illiterate?
Good point!

Old 11-19-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Professors can give a different perspective than what is in a textbook or on the internet. They may have life experiences that is better conveyed through a classroom experience. Your last question doesn't make sense.
Most professors just go over the PowerPoint slides that is provided to them with the textbook.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:17 PM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
most college courses should be on-line, no need to spend more than 1 year on campus.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:18 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
most college courses should be on-line, no need to spend more than 1 year on campus.
So we can get rid of things like college sports too? Sweet.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:24 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
So we can get rid of things like college sports too? Sweet.
That's actually a good idea. As far as I am concerned intramural high school sports should not exist, either. They take up an extraordinary amount of money and virtually guarantee that only a small portion of students will get to play and learn.

Seems to me that about 40% of the "students" I see playing on TV on Saturday have no business at a 4 year college.
And if it's all so dang profitable, why does tuition keep going up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies