Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 03:11 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times

Advertisements

Will be interesting what happens when more millennials start buying over-priced homes.

Most millennials seem to emulating a Kardashian lifestyle these days so I am not surprised.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/microeconomics/hhdc.html

Student loan debt was around 200 billion dollars in 2004 now it's 1.36 trillion.

Credit card debt was 700 billion in 2004 now it's 810 billion.

Auto loan debt was 700 billion in 2010 now it's 1.21 trillion.

Mortgage debt is also increasing but is still below the bubble-peak.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibr...HDC_2017Q3.pdf

Over 10 percent of college debt holders are just deciding to ignoring it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 03:13 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,565 times
Everything costs more and wages are stagnant for normal people. YAY America!

Old 11-19-2017, 03:21 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
1980s normal people bought humble homes
2010s people buy expensive lofts and McMansions

1980s normal people bought Toyota Camry and Chevy Cavalier
2010s normal people buy mercedes, huge cadillac escalades, porsche, bmw

1980s normal people bought clothes at a department store
2010s normal people buy clothes at the stores celebrities shop at or order celebrity clothes online

1980s people had friends over for dinner and lemonade and pie in the backyard over friendly conversation
2010s people go to expensive restaurants with high-profit margins and pay $100 a person for dinners, appetizers, deserts and drinks

The lifestyles of the majority these days is beyond flashy., They condemn those who don't live flashy lifestyles.

These days most people parade around like movie-stars so it is not surprising we have record levels of debt.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:30 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Will be interesting what happens when more millennials start buying over-priced homes.

Most millennials seem to emulating a Kardashian lifestyle these days so I am not surprised.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/microeconomics/hhdc.html

Student loan debt was around 200 billion dollars in 2004 now it's 1.36 trillion.

Credit card debt was 700 billion in 2004 now it's 810 billion.

Auto loan debt was 700 billion in 2010 now it's 1.21 trillion.

Mortgage debt is also increasing but is still below the bubble-peak.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibr...HDC_2017Q3.pdf

Over 10 percent of college debt holders are just deciding to ignoring it.
It's funny you would post this now because my husband and I are at a bit of a cross roads at this point in time. A few years ago we bought a fixer upper home in Idaho. Four years later we sold it and made a 67% profit. It's not as much as it sounds - the house was modest and so was the profit but it's a lot of money to us. This year I also sold my house in Tennessee - same deal (modest home and modest profit).

So here we are back in Wyoming in a temporary rental while we look for a home to buy. Only............homes are overpriced where we want to live, we completely paid off the two credit cards we had, we own our vehicles, camper and boat outright, and have cash in a safety deposit box. We literally are debt free and cash holders both with excellent credit.

We've been here for a couple of months now and are becoming more and more......... Confused? Disheartened? The longer we are debt free the harder it is becoming to look at overpriced homes and take on huge debt. We've got plenty of time and don't have to make any decisions quickly, but renting and downsizing is looking more and more like a better option for us.

I know it doesn't exactly address your post although we've had our financial ups and downs over the years (both separately and together) so can empathize with those stretched financially. Neither of us have fallen into the "Keeping Up With The Joneses" trap thankfully. Just trying to tread carefully and figure out what the right thing is for us to do. Maybe others should do the same before taking on so much debt. It really sucks to be owned by banks and credit card companies.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:31 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,939 times
If the cost of living were comparable to the 1980s, things would be different.

Health expenses are a big one.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:42 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
I suppose that happens to people who have no sense of what's actually important in life. If they choose to be lead around by a platinum nose ring and seduced by trash and glamour I have no sympathy. Unfortunately I get it that at some point others will end up paying for their stupidity. Still, getting that off my sanctimonious chest feels good once in a while.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
1980s normal people bought humble homes
2010s people buy expensive lofts and McMansions

But look at the money they have poured into the economy. Those expensive homes were built by workers, the banks made money on the financing, the local government makes money on the property taxes, etc, etc.

1980s normal people bought Toyota Camry and Chevy Cavalier
2010s normal people buy mercedes, huge cadillac escalades, porsche, bmw

If they can afford those cars, why not. If I want to drive a Caddy, and can afford it, why should I settle for a lesser car?

1980s normal people bought clothes at a department store
2010s normal people buy clothes at the stores celebrities shop at or order celebrity clothes online

Again, people spent money at those shops, someone had to make those clothes, and the credit card company makes money on each sale.

1980s people had friends over for dinner and lemonade and pie in the backyard over friendly conversation
2010s people go to expensive restaurants with high-profit margins and pay $100 a person for dinners, appetizers, deserts and drinks

Those expensive restaurants made money, as do the wait staff.

The lifestyles of the majority these days is beyond flashy., They condemn those who don't live flashy lifestyles.

These days most people parade around like movie-stars so it is not surprising we have record levels of debt.
I'm one of those people who spends a lot of money on life's pleasures, but I only do it with cash. I work hard, am not on this planet forever, so why not enjoy it while I am here ? My purchases put other people to work, help businesses grow, and keep the economy rolling. I also have zero debt.

I am not going to live like your 1980 example because I can now afford more than I did in 1980 and no longer have the family responsibilities I did back then. I could care less what the Kardashians do, I do this for me, and me alone. If you want to live cheaply, fine, but some of us realize we ain't taking this money with us, so we might as well enjoy it while we can.

Last edited by don1945; 11-19-2017 at 03:54 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 03:46 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
juneaubound - why not try working instead of speculation to make your income at least until this artificial real estate bubble collapses. Live as cheap as you can in the interim and keep saving until both the real estate and stock markets bottom out. Then invest in the old fashioned way - buy low and sell high but take your time about it.

Don1945 - I like your attitude. With The Donald's finger on the nuclear trigger it makes sense to "eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die" while we still can AS TOMMOROW IS GETTING EVER CLOSER.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
This is off the chart ridiculous!!!

People like this actually vote? This country is going to hell.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:08 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This is off the chart ridiculous!!!

People like this actually vote? This country is going to hell.
Are you saying costs haven't risen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies