Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 09:19 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see politicians try to block that bill! Excerpts from article below:

“I’m working on legislation to unseal settlement records, bar use of tax dollars to pay claims against members & staff, prohibit members from using office budgets to camouflage payments (a Conyers rule) & require reimbursement of the taxpayer,” DeSantis tweeted on Wednesday.

Rep. John Conyers’ (D-MI) office had paid an accuser $27,000 to settle a complaint that she had been fired after refusing his sexual advances.

The settlement, using taxpayer funds, was reached outside of the formal reporting mechanism for sexual harassment claims. Last week, Rep. Jackie Speier testified that Congress had paid out more than $15 million over the last decade to settle such complaints.

Every time I see "Conyers" I will automatically picture that wrinkled old dude's scrawny butt in his underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 09:35 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I'd like to see the bill expanded to include all kinds of public grandstanding that we wind up paying for like unconsitutional abortion restrictions and unconstitutional bullet taxes etc.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I'd like to see politicians try to block that bill! Excerpts from article below:

“I’m working on legislation to unseal settlement records, bar use of tax dollars to pay claims against members & staff, prohibit members from using office budgets to camouflage payments (a Conyers rule) & require reimbursement of the taxpayer,” DeSantis tweeted on Wednesday.

Rep. John Conyers’ (D-MI) office had paid an accuser $27,000 to settle a complaint that she had been fired after refusing his sexual advances.

The settlement, using taxpayer funds, was reached outside of the formal reporting mechanism for sexual harassment claims. Last week, Rep. Jackie Speier testified that Congress had paid out more than $15 million over the last decade to settle such complaints.

Every time I see "Conyers" I will automatically picture that wrinkled old dude's scrawny butt in his underwear.
No kidding. I think it would be easy to generate a huge bipartisan voter coalition for that one.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:33 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Default Congress secretly pays out millions to settle sexual harassment claims

When governments hide their activities, it's usually because they know the citizens will not approve of what they are doing. So now it's using TAXPAYER funds to cover up sex harassment.
----------------
BuzzFeed reported Tuesday night that the office of Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) paid $27,000 to settle a previously undisclosed sexual harassment complaint against the lawmaker. The story is notable not just for the allegations against a powerful member of Congress, but for shedding light on the highly opaque process through which the House of Representatives handles such settlements—and keeps them concealed.

Amid the cascade of sexual harassment allegations ignited by The New York Times' exposé of Harvey Weinstein, Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) told MSNBC earlier this month that the House had paid out millions of dollars over the last decade to settle sexual harassment claims.

How Congress Keeps Its Sexual Harassment Hush Money Secret - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Old 11-27-2017, 04:30 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
IIRC, Rep Speier indicated that payments were made for sexual harassment cases for 1 Republican and 1 Democrat. That entire amount included payments for other kinds of complaints.

IMO, any payment for employee complaints needs to come out of the congressperson's pocket.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:37 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
These people are our betters and have a right to harass, touch, grope, molest or rape whoever they want in the privacy of Washington DC.

Not really of course. But that's how politicians view themselves.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:44 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Rules on how to spend booty gained by armed robbery?

Well, nobody ever said statism made sense.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:46 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Rules on how to spend booty gained by armed robbery?

Well, nobody ever said statism made sense.

C'mon man even congress criminals have a code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies