Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 11:32 AM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Your sample size of one is very convincing.
There are many other examples. Here---I'll give you a couple more for you to google --- Pruitt-Igoe, Columbia Point.

I'm surprised that you are so naive and unaware when it comes to this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 12:25 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If he's so great, as some here say, why not help the less thans and build housing in various cities across the country. He has done great job of building for the greedy.
I'd BET you NEVER said the same thing when Obama who is rich, and pelosi, who is rich, or reid who is rich ran the country.
So, why NOW?

And, why AREN'T YOU RICH?

Yoy Trump haters come up with the STUPIDEST things!

Old 11-26-2017, 12:27 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
He doesn't care about 'affordable' housing. He's never cared about it.

He likes the wealthy and their money--he lives among them. He always has and always will. Never spent one night of his life in a rural area of the country.

Lol. He's an east coast elitist who has conned lower and middle income mid-westerners and southerners into believing that he is one of them and that he even cares about them.

This will go down as one of the largest hoaxes in history.
"Never spent one night of his life in a rural area of the country."

I love it when people like you make such ignorant claims!

It shows me that it will be a LONG time before you get control of the fed again.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:58 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Wrong.

The blame you are trying to affix to Reagan is typical progressive revisionist history:

The OSB Politico: Revisionist History, Mental Health Patients and Ronald Reagan
The obscure blog you linked to is both simplistic and not credible. There is a reason Reagan gets much of the credit for the mainstreaming of the mentally ill and subsequent homeless population.

"....In this case, however, the complex of social forces that lead to less restrictive guidelines for involuntary commitment are not the result of conservative politics per se, but rather a coalition of fiscal conservatives, law and order Republicans, relatives of mentally ill patients, and the practitioners working with those patients. Combined with a sharp rise in homelessness during the 1980s, Ronald Reagan pursued a policy toward the treatment of mental illness that satisfied special interest groups and the demands of the business community, but failed to address the issue: the treatment of mental illness..."

Ronald Reagan and the Commitment of the Mentally Ill

Old 11-26-2017, 08:35 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yes and if I moved out the apt owners would ask for the sky for my unit, 3 times what I pay.

I am one of the 99% and our great president is a big part of the 1%.
You benefit from bad public policy which reduces the incentive to build more housing, reduces the efficiency of our economy, and is effectively stealing from non-incumbents paying market rent and your landlord that owns the property to subsidize you. Not telling you to move out - you'd be an idiot to do so - but recognize you are the beneficiary of an unfair and inefficient system through no merit of your own and be grateful and recognize this, not whine about how you aren't given even more benefits subsidized by others.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:05 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oh so now its on trump to house the poor? what else would you like trump to do, feed them? pay for their medical care? give them transportation? and why stop at trump, how about gates, warren, soros, and numerous other billionaires?

so tell me, what do you do for the poor? why dont YOU house them, feed the, give them transportation?
Gates, for one, has done plenty for the poor. For one he has funded a network of high schools across the country for students who would be the first generation in their family to graduate from college and who can demonstrate a special talent in some area.
The idea that the wealthy have a certain moral obligation to give a little back to society is a venerabke one...think back to Carnegie and the hundreds and hundreds of libraries across the nation that he funded the construction of.
Tell me, why have I seen several righties claim that in order to claim any credibility in terms of advocacy of the poor one has to be willing to house them in one's own house lol? What is tge logic behind that? Who has called on ANYONE to do that? The last time anyone tried to impose that on anyone was when the Brits forced the good people of Massachusetts to house redcoats in their homes. That didn't turn out so well.
So why would we have to agree to take strangers into our homes in order to have the prerequisite credibility to advocate for more affordable housing options? And that need will only become more acute as we continue to automate industrual nobs and replace them with low wage service jobs (many if which are also being automated). Truck drivers are perhaps the next wave of well paid blue color workers to get slammed.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:14 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I'd BET you NEVER said the same thing when Obama who is rich, and pelosi, who is rich, or reid who is rich ran the country.
So, why NOW?

And, why AREN'T YOU RICH?

Yoy Trump haters come up with the STUPIDEST things!
Obama was a community worker and advocated policies that benefitted the everyday person. Obamacare wasn't perfect but the extension of health are coverage to at least fifteen million people was probably the biggest advance for the everyday person in fifty years. Does ObamaCare need reform and has everyone been treated fairly, no. But that does not negate it's major successes and is reason for reform, not repeal. And the GOP, the only major political party in the 49 wealthiest democracies to advocate universal health care, inserted several poison pills and took other measures that are largely responsible for many of the problems. If they ever come to the table with a real plan to get us to universal coverage we will quickly stop being the only wsalthy democracy without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies