Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So Who was a better President?
Ronald Reagan 134 52.76%
Barack Obama 120 47.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 05:44 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times

Advertisements

Reagan was All Pro.

Obama was JV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 06:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Reagan was All Pro.

Obama was JV.
If you're comparing leaders by how manly they appear in photo ops, you're doing it wrong. Doubly so if one of them was an actor.

I look forward to the day a major motion picture actor runs for president, and people confuse his on-screen persona with reality. "Yeah, I'm voting for him because he's tough on aliens AND killer robots!"

Old 01-05-2018, 07:10 PM

17,305 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That's a skewed metric considering he became president right after the biggest drop of the DOW in 70 years. It would have recovered in spite of him.

The economy and GDP is the better metric to use. Obama, not a single year over 3% making his the worst 8-year span for economic expansion since the depression..
Yet it is the metric being trumpeted by Trump.

No question by any economic metric that Clinton was the best though.

In reality I don’t think presidents have all that much lasting impact on the economy. We’re just waiting on the next big innovation to disrupt the market and cash in on. Failing that we’ll surely see an upcoming negative correction.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:14 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Thanks for showing us your pattern.

I'd bet you weren't even born or were very young during the Reagan years. I mean, you'd have to be to make such statements for those of us that did; as we fall over laughing at you.

Either that or you're even older than me and still believe Carter was a great President. That's how long progressives hold on to their hate.

No matter what it's all BS
If you were an adult during that time, please be careful while falling to not break a hip.

Between the Savings and Loan scandal, the dotcom bubble, however many recessions there were in between, and this last banking apocalypse, we both know that you aren't ever going to pay off that double mortgage.

You're still paying for Star Wars

Old 01-05-2018, 09:22 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

You're still paying for Star Wars
and who's going to pay for Obama's spending? our sons and grandkids and their kids?

Old 01-05-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
and who's going to pay for Obama's spending? our sons and grandkids and their kids?
A big part of that was simply more honest bookkeeping. Putting Iraq and Afghanistan on the books and not hiding the deficit like Bush was. I think he should be commended for that.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
A big part of that was simply more honest bookkeeping. Putting Iraq and Afghanistan on the books and not hiding the deficit like Bush was. I think he should be commended for that.

how do you hide the national debt? that means democrats and republicans in the house and senate were in a conspiracy to "hide" the numbers. lol

Old 01-05-2018, 09:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Change the bolded to old (70 the day he took office), senile (played dumb or was losing it when questioned about Iran Contra) and a traitor (sold guns to Iran and crack here in the USA to fund the Contra's in Nicaragua, which was illegal per the Boland Amendment)

And btw, I'm a Gen Xer who voted for Obama twice, so I remember "The Gipper", didn't like him much
I've never understood the adoration for Reagan. He was an ok actor, but just a so so President. His trickle down economics were a flop, and the only thing I remember is that he told them to "Tear down that wall !"

Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
His trickle down economics were a flop, and the only thing I remember is that he told them to "Tear down that wall !"

tax cuts across the board was a flop? no, it wasn't. People that lived in the 80's and worked for a living knew better between the Carter years and the Reagan years....and he did a lot more than just say "Tear down that Wall"......he basically won the Cold War.

There is a reason he won re-election in a 49 state landslide, something Obama didn't come close.

maybe you were a sperm or a baby in the 80's and don't know any better but people who were grown-ups in the 80's remember. He was a great President.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
how do you hide the national debt? that means democrats and republicans in the house and senate were in a conspiracy to "hide" the numbers. lol
Accounting gimmicks.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/02/2...ww.google.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies