Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 01:38 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

For those unfamiliar, The Truman Show starred Jim Carey as a man who did not know he was the star of a sitcom. Everyone was nice to him, he was always greeted enthusiastically, his lawn was always mowed, supper was always ready....on and on.

With the help of the modern media, that's the world liberals candidates for office live in! They are never held accountable, everything they do is alright, and they keep getting elected over and over.

Truman got wise and figured it out.
Democrats sometimes figure it out, but usually not. Tell one of them they are living in a protective bubble and they will fight back.
Quote:
......I lived in a kind of information bubble, but like most bubble-dwellers I didn’t know I was living in one. Ironically, the 2016 election opened my eyes to this “Truman Show”-like media universe we’ve all been inhabiting.
I'm A Liberal, And I Agree With Sean Hannity That U.S. Journalism Is Dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 02:03 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Mainstream statist liberals are proof that even if you mean well basing your entire existence on forced collectivism is a recipe for rebellion by anyone with half a brain.

Though why we keep need reminded of this is beyond me. Plenty of examples in history.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:21 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I never realized media bias until I moved out of NY, Long Island to be exact, in 1995. I did live in a bubble with Newsday (my family subscribed), the New York Daily News (my dad brought it home from work) and New York Times (to a lesser degree) plus all of the NYC TV news stations. New Yorkers think they are hot stuff because the national news media located in NYC tells them every day how special they are. It's just not obvious to you if you live there.

Because of links to stories we are now exposed to more media but only if we take the time to seek out different versions of the same story. It troubles me a lot that journalists frequently don't bother to get more than one side to the same story. I'll give you an innocuous example. Mrs. Obama's food lunch ideas were passed down to schools through the Department of Agriculture (I THINK) and kids were throwing away their school lunches. In one article I read, the reporter talked to the cafeteria workers, the teachers and the school administrators who all were behind Mrs. Obama's mission but the reporter never talked to the most obvious group she should have spoken to -- the kids who were throwing away their lunches or maybe she did and just didn't bother to use it or an editor made her remove it. Was the reporter too stupid to know that she should have talked to the students, too, or did she have an agenda and do it deliberately not wanting any negative quotes to reflect on the Obama administration? Who knows?

In another story about an event involving Christian churches in the Middle East, the reporter spoke to the Muslims giving them trouble and quoted from the official press release from the government of that country but never bothered to talk to anyone (pastors or parishioners) from the Christian church. So, again, you get a half-assed story. Was the reporter too stupid to know that she should have talked to them, too, or did she have an agenda and do it deliberately? Or was it just easier for her to use the official press release and reach the Muslim leaders? Who knows?

I also think the pressure to get the story first because of the speed of finding out things on the Internet makes a lot of journalists make sloppy mistakes.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:32 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Great movie, stupid comparison.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 PM

Seems like the participants of The Liberal Truman Show are a little put out when someone suggests they are part of the show.

"Look!", they shriek. "Al Franken is appearing on Conan! What could be more real than THAT!!??"

Old 12-02-2017, 02:11 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
The right would and has done the same thing if they get too much power. It's human nature. It's also known as the "good ole boys club." People give a free pass to people they associate with because they share commonalities, whether it be political, family, friends, religion, or whatever.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The right would and has done the same thing if they get too much power. It's human nature. It's also known as the "good ole boys club." People give a free pass to people they associate with because they share commonalities, whether it be political, family, friends, religion, or whatever.
Not in recent times. As far back as the living generation can remember, the press has been complicit with liberal leaders and has insulated itself and those leaders in the liberal bubble.

As far as those in the bubble are concerned, the US has been "wrong" on nearly every issue. The "wrongness" of America's every action has been promoted by the media, the educational system, and - unfortunately - foreign powers.

CNN and other liberal outlets selectively omit items that do not fit with their narrative. When forced to include distasteful items they downplay their significance and find a way to forecast failure for the conservative side. The hapless individuals inside the bubble never know they are all part of an act.

Benghazi is a good example. When the narrative of "we have defeated terrorism" fell apart, the Obama administration tried to blame Benghazi on a movie. The press helped. And it was all done in order to promote Obama as President for a second term.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:39 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Left, right, or indifferent. Bias exists in every thing political, not to mention the tons of bias in the non political space. I can't believe that so many were duped by the mainstream media for so long, but then again party loyalists have never been known for their intellectual prowess. Rising above the bickering crowds and their partisan moronic chatter allows one to see the real problem, and it ain't liberalism, or conservatism, but moreover, partisan-ism..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies