Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 11:43 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,859,738 times

Advertisements

The Atlantic 3 hrs ago
It’s a message the party is sounding on the national level as well, where Republicans won control of both the White House and Congress but have struggled to enact their agenda and are now debating tax cuts that are similar in scope to the ones that busted the budgets in Oklahoma and Kansas. “When you have a bunch of government-haters getting control of the government, it’s no surprise they don’t know how to make things operate effectively,” Sparks said.
The Red-State Revolt Spreads to Oklahoma

Good Riddance to the GOP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 07:43 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,916,108 times
In the last four months, voters have repudiated those Republicans running Oklahoma at the polls. Democrats have captured four state legislative seats held by the GOP, two in special elections for the House and two for the Senate. The most recent—and perhaps the most surprising—win occurred last week, when a 26-year-old lesbian Democrat named Allison Ikley-Freeman edged out the Republican candidate by 31 votes in a conservative state House district near Tulsa that went heavily for Trump in 2016.

I think there will be even more R's changing their support as the new tax bill becomes aware to them of just who got screwed, what a scam the GOP pulled on the voters. Okla & Kan are both deep red but not for much longer. Those living in the states will find less and less government help when they need it.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,705,849 times
Unfortunately, that is correct. What we now have is a party that believes in good government and another party that simply does not. The base of the GOP not only doesn't believe in good government, they want to tear it all down. They practically thrive on chaos and anarchy, hence, their love for people like Donald Trump and Steve Bannon.

On policy, I agree with traditional Republican positions about 50% of the time, and Democrats the other 50%. But then I look at the base of the GOP, and I think, "Do I really want to be associated with these people?" The answer is clearly no.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:17 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,916,108 times
Sen. Lindsey Graham said “if we don’t get this tax bill passed they won’t write the checks and the party die”. He was referring to the BIG donors of the 1%. So it comes down to this – The GOP is all about money and to hell with what’s best for the people. If this is the type of ethics, morals, and ideology the Republicans have then I don’t want any part of it. And they said they were the party of “family values”. OKLA & KAN seemed to always talk about their family values but things will be changing in other red states as well. Too many people are dependent on government assistance in some form of their daily lives and had no idea of what will be taken away from them. R’s will be turning away, but I don’t know where they’ll go. This whole mess started with the Tea Party and ended up in the laps of the GOP. As Trump said – “elections have consequences”. This might be the end of the GOP.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:41 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,130,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The Atlantic 3 hrs ago
It’s a message the party is sounding on the national level as well, where Republicans won control of both the White House and Congress but have struggled to enact their agenda and are now debating tax cuts that are similar in scope to the ones that busted the budgets in Oklahoma and Kansas. “When you have a bunch of government-haters getting control of the government, it’s no surprise they don’t know how to make things operate effectively,” Sparks said.

Lol. You are in for a shock.

A) Your party is at its lowest ebb since the Civil War.
B) You will not win the Senate back next time due to a massive structural advantage to the GOP.
C) There is as yet no real evidence that you are competitive for the House, as you have held it for two of the last 27 years.
D) Trump will almost certainly be re-elected, as you are doing NOTHING to win back the midwest.
E) You illegal adantage is drying up, as far more are going home than coming.
F) You continue to find ways to implode. Moore lookes safe in Alabama, while Conyers is fighting for his spot and Frankin will probably not seek re-election.

But keep believing your fantasies. You are doing so poorly that there has to be SOME return to a normal bi-partisan system. I assume you will find some dead-cat effect somehwere, and when that cat bounces and inch off the ground, go ahead and pretend that you are flying.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,043,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Unfortunately, that is correct. What we now have is a party that believes in good government and another party that simply does not. The base of the GOP not only doesn't believe in good government, they want to tear it all down. They practically thrive on chaos and anarchy, hence, their love for people like Donald Trump and Steve Bannon.

On policy, I agree with traditional Republican positions about 50% of the time, and Democrats the other 50%. But then I look at the base of the GOP, and I think, "Do I really want to be associated with these people?" The answer is clearly no.
Exactly. The far-right, which now runs the Republican party, has been reduced to a crazy pile of bible-thumpers, gun-nuts, and anarchists who want to burn the entire system down. It's madness. Oh, sure, they still want clean air, clean water, an army to protect the land, police, etc. But they don't want to pay a dime for it, and they also don't want such basic benefits of citizenship extended to anyone who's not exactly like them, such as blacks, gays, Muslims, etc. You cannot have reasonable debates with such people, and you certainly should never let them run a city, state, or nation. Anything more complicated than the impoverished towns of rural American where they still look at you funny if "you're not from around here" is too much for them to handle.

Kansas and Oklahoma are total economic basket cases at this point; electing more such Republicans to other positions of leaderships so they can do the same thing elsewhere is the very definition of insanity.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Lol. You are in for a shock.

But keep believing your fantasies. You are doing so poorly that there has to be SOME return to a normal bi-partisan system. I assume you will find some dead-cat effect somehwere, and when that cat bounces and inch off the ground, go ahead and pretend that you are flying.
You are wrong on so many levels. The Republican party only won because the Democrats ran the worst possible candidate, and Trump still managed to lose the popular vote. Mainstream America does not support the right-wing ignorance and bigotry that drives the party, and time is not on your side.

Every bitter, angry, hate-filled old-timer who complains about how "the nation is screwing him!' as he collects his Social Security, pension, and Medicare who then dies off is one less Republican voter, and they are not being replaced. We don't need the laughable "illegal advantage" - a groundless claim made by that idiot Trump and only believed by the gullible - to defeat the right-wing extremists. Time will do that for us.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,715,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The Atlantic 3 hrs ago

Oklahoma and Kansas increased spending... Try running a business like that. Cut your revenues and increase spending to see how long you stay in business.

A few weeks back the debt clock was going backwards for the first time ever as spending was cut drastically.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Oklahoma and Kansas increased spending... Try running a business like that. Cut your revenues and increase spending to see how long you stay in business.

A few weeks back the debt clock was going backwards for the first time ever as spending was cut drastically.
Well, if that worthless "low introductory rates!" right-wing tax bill gets passed, we'll all get to see how such stupidity will play out on the national level. It won't be pretty, and will be just another variation of the Housing Bubble, where the system was juiced by right-wing stooges to produce a short-term bump that was designed to blow up later. The rich got richer, the working class got screwed, and the far-right blamed Obama, because in their ignorance, Jan 2009 (when Obama took office) comes before fall of 2008, which is when the system crashed. History repeating...

Old 12-02-2017, 09:03 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,607,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Sen. Lindsey Graham said “if we don’t get this tax bill passed they won’t write the checks and the party die”. He was referring to the BIG donors of the 1%. So it comes down to this – The GOP is all about money and to hell with what’s best for the people. If this is the type of ethics, morals, and ideology the Republicans have then I don’t want any part of it. And they said they were the party of “family values”. OKLA & KAN seemed to always talk about their family values but things will be changing in other red states as well. Too many people are dependent on government assistance in some form of their daily lives and had no idea of what will be taken away from them. R’s will be turning away, but I don’t know where they’ll go. This whole mess started with the Tea Party and ended up in the laps of the GOP. As Trump said – “elections have consequences”. This might be the end of the GOP.

Let's hope you're correct, at least about this version of the GOP. But we will always need the threat of them returning, to keep the Democrats from becoming too much like them. A strong, two-party system is necessary, for our type of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies