Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 07:14 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times

Advertisements

French president Emmanuel Macron to ban gender-based insults | The Independent

Another reason why Trump won. So we don't go down slippery slopes like this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 07:23 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
See, that's the flaw with right-wing reasoning.

While fining people for cat-calling is arguably pushing the limit, going whole-hog the other way and voting for a slimebag like Trump who considered women sex toys and who has never met a bigoted concept he doesn't like is even worse and certainly doesn't fix anything. You're basically saying that cat-calls somehow add value to the nation and are a core part of what America is about. Let me guess, you're a guy, right? Also, I'm not sure that saying that "Trump voters support cat-calling, and that's why we voted for him!" is exactly the image you want to convey of that voting block. Oh, sure - it's almost certainly true, but I doubt that was what you were going for here.

Or, think of it this way: your line of reasoning is really no different than pointing out some nation that recently banned some random food additive that might be toxic, and than using that as "proof" that we need to abolish the FDA and put lead in our pipes again because this is "mericuh!" and we don't want to turn into some commie nation with safe food.

Moderation, people... moderation. Holding up one example of somewhat far-reaching "leftist" concepts in no way justifies far worse right-wing concepts.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:32 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,535 times
Quote:
You're basically saying that cat-calls somehow add value to the nation and are a core part of what America is about.
Perhaps it's just that people don't think the government needs to step in on issues like this.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:34 PM

74 posts, read 55,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

While fining people for cat-calling is arguably pushing the limit, going whole-hog the other way and voting for a slimebag like Trump who considered women sex toys and who has never met a bigoted concept he doesn't like is even worse and certainly doesn't fix anything. You're basically saying that cat-calls somehow add value to the nation and are a core part of what America is about. Let me guess, you're a guy, right? Also, I'm not sure that saying that "Trump voters support cat-calling, and that's why we voted for him!" is exactly the image you want to convey of that voting block. Oh, sure - it's almost certainly true, but I doubt that was what you were going for here.

Or, think of it this way: your line of reasoning is really no different than pointing out some nation that recently banned some random food additive that might be toxic, and than using that as "proof" that we need to abolish the FDA and put lead in our pipes again because this is "mericuh!" and we don't want to turn into some commie nation with safe food.

Moderation, people... moderation. Holding up one example of somewhat far-reaching "leftist" concepts in no way justifies far worse right-wing concepts.
Well... maybe the point should rather be: "Another reason why Hillary didn't win".

Old 12-03-2017, 07:37 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
France wants to criminalize words, how civilized and how first world

Old 12-03-2017, 07:42 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
France wants to criminalize words, how civilized and how first world
Took 70 years but it appears Fascism is back on the rise in Europe.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:57 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

Cherry picking the examples you want to compare in effort to make the argument is the apple and the orange comparison.

cat-calling =voting for Trump ( then dump the race, and gender card into the charge )

Food additive = known toxic lead pipe ( mix in the commie comment )

Then call for moderation at the end when none was shown throughout your comment. The same old do as I say and not as I do, crap control argument. If there was a far-reaching concept, it was in your argument.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:06 PM

34,233 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Took 70 years but it appears Fascism is back on the rise in Europe.
You can't make this stuff up. Well, actually you can. George Orwell did in "1984", so next will be banning, and criminalizing thought.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Didn't the Nazis roll over France in something like 6 weeks during WWII?

Wonder how long it will take this time around.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
It is an important American right for American men to be giant pigs if they should wish to however many women they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies