Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 07:17 AM

1,400 posts, read 864,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's a shame that the more serious issues in Alabama were drowned out by other things in the senate race, I don't expect that either candidate will solve these issues but there should have been an intelligent debate. Instead the focus of the argument is a year book signature, sam5e sex marriage and abortion. The only hospital in Haleyville County that serves 9,000 people is closing. Alabama has one of the largest income disparities in the country and is very reliant on defense and other government programs in addition to foreign investment by companies like Airbus.

Haleyville County went 90% for Trump, but Medicaid funding expansion could have helped their lives and starting a trade war over NAFTA could have damaged their economy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/u...=top-news&_r=0
I understand your point, but I disagree. The national media is not focused on the policy differences between the candidates. Instead, the MSM is covering the accusations. Their goal is to influence the voters. The voters however, know what's at stake from a policy standpoint. I don't think the voters of AL care at all what NY and DC have to say, and why should they? It's funny how outsiders pretend to know what's in Alabama's best interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 07:18 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Well, clearly you New Yawkuhs do not know that the vast majority of the defense industry is in Huntsville, in the extreme North of the state. Military is significant in the black belt. Airbus and the accompanying support industries are in Mobile, the extreme South.

Then there are the large poor areas, mostly rural, where there is little industry and the inner cities (Birmingham, Mobile, Montgomery, principally). Both pops are poor.

Haleyville actually straddles two Alabama counties, Winston and Marion. Not really near anywhere of size, Decatur to the NE at about an hour and Birmingham to S similar distance. Not like Long Island with the population and business density.

Like the old, but sage expression, figures lie and liars figure.

So, your point?
The point is that the only hospital in a county that serves 9000 people is closing, what will they do in case of an emergency. Yes I know a large part of the DOD and other government agencies are in Huntsville, Haleyville was just one example of a statewide problem, do they want to make government smaller. Same for the foreign companies, does Alabama want to punish foreign investors.

Seems to me that their votes on Medicaid and NAFTA run against their own best interests. The numbers do not lie, Alabama is near bottom in just about every category. Some of those infant deaths statistics rival 3rd world countries.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I understand your point, but I disagree. The national media is not focused on the policy differences between the candidates. Instead, the MSM is covering the accusations. Their goal is to influence the voters. The voters however, know what's at stake from a policy standpoint. I don't think the voters of AL care at all what NY and DC have to say, and why should they? It's funny how outsiders pretend to know what's in Alabama's best interest.
Yes I do believe the MSM is partially to blame in this particular case and others for their focus. I don't expect Alabama voters to care about the opinions of other states.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:26 AM

1,400 posts, read 864,120 times
Quote:
Yes I do believe the MSM is partially to blame in this particular case and others for their focus. I don't expect Alabama voters to care about the opinions of other states.
I wasn't referring to you. I appreciate the discussion. I was talking about the NY and DC media. My apologies for not being clear.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:29 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
What the heck are you talking about. Republicans have been in power in Alabama for over 40 years.
And before that they were run by the racist southern wing of the democratic party which switched during the civil rights movement, and is no part of the republican party(ie Roy Moore, Jeff Sessions).
It was 20 years and everyone over whelmingly stayed in the same party after the CRA.

From 1997 on the Senators have been republican.
Except for 1965-1967 the last previous 100 years were democrat. 1997 was the first time republicans gained control of the house 5-2

Only 1 of the 20 some odd dixiecrats switched parties after the Civil Rights vote and the ones who stayed in office stayed democrats or were replaced by democrats for the next 20+ years.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:52 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Sadly, the Roy Moore pedophilia accusations have successfully distracted from Roy Moore being a crazy lying homophobic Constitution-hating misogynist fake-Christian racist.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:57 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
The bulk of the population is not in the rural areas. Since you are one who disdains the electoral process in favor of 'true' democracy, you should be able to understand that the 'city', in the main educated folks, vote for their personal reasons.

They do not believe in government solutions. Which is where you are coming from. You are just using code for The government ought to.Just admit it and stick to what you know, which is figures. Remember?

Foreign investors; such as Airbus, Thyssen Kruppkrupp, Mercedes, Honda, Hyundai, exports increasing ~115% From 2004-2014. Can be better, but the state is not bereft of economic growth, export income and FDI.

In case you are wondering; I am not a native of the state, nor do I live there, but I did over a ~8 year period during a span of 11 years, back in the day when Roy Moore was a young ADA. Still have friends there and keep up with the place. Great people who are fiercely focused on making their own way.

Quote:
The point is that the only hospital in a county that serves 9000 people is closing, what will they do in case of an emergency. Yes I know a large part of the DOD and other government agencies are in Huntsville, Haleyville was just one example of a statewide problem, do they want to make government smaller. Same for the foreign companies, does Alabama want to punish foreign investors.

Seems to me that their votes on Medicaid and NAFTA run against their own best interests. The numbers do not lie, Alabama is near bottom in just about every category. Some of those infant deaths statistics rival 3rd world countries.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:50 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
What the heck are you talking about. Republicans have been in power in Alabama for over 40 years.
And before that they were run by the racist southern wing of the democratic party which switched during the civil rights movement, and is no part of the republican party(ie Roy Moore, Jeff Sessions).

Democrats have controlled the Alabama Legislature almost exclusively until 2010.

There have been a few cracks where the Republicans were able to capture the governor’s mansion, but each time the Dems conrolled the legislature.

It wasn’t until 2010 until the Republicans controlled Alabama.

https://ballotpedia.org/Party_contro...ate_government

It’s best to keep your mouth shut and people assume you’re a fool than to open it and prove it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-10-2017 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 12-10-2017, 08:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
It's a shame that the more serious issues in Alabama were drowned out by other things in the senate race, I don't expect that either candidate will solve these issues but there should have been an intelligent debate. Instead the focus of the argument is a year book signature, sam5e sex marriage and abortion. The only hospital in Haleyville County that serves 9,000 people is closing. Alabama has one of the largest income disparities in the country and is very reliant on defense and other government programs in addition to foreign investment by companies like Airbus.

Haleyville County went 90% for Trump, but Medicaid funding expansion could have helped their lives and starting a trade war over NAFTA could have damaged their economy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/u...=top-news&_r=0
Because all the Roy Moore voters care about are abortion and SSM. That is what the evangelicals vote on. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
In addition:

"Alabama has the highest level of prescription opioid use in the nation."

Opioid crisis a threat to all Alabamians | AL.com

#50 in public health

#47 in health care

#47 in education

#45 in economy

To be fair, there are some scores in the 30s on the list.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/alabama

But it is hard not to come to the conclusion that there are some serious issues in Alabama.
My family left Alabama when I was 13 years old; I was asked if I was willing to move and my answer was a resounding YES. Even at that age ~ I knew that Alabama was no place to live.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:06 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My family left Alabama when I was 13 years old; I was asked if I was willing to move and my answer was a resounding YES. Even at that age ~ I knew that Alabama was no place to live.
And had been conrolled by Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies