Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 03:42 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

If you folks followed the non-aggression principle all of this would go away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 04:22 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamppy View Post
You should dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Hillary Clinton changed her clothing style during the presidential campaign. She had been wearing blazers which, though modest, did not hide the fact that she is female. During the campaign, she wore Nehru jackets, which completely covered any hint of femininity. It's a fine line we walk, how to appear feminine, but capable and serious about the job. How to compete with men without appearing too masculine or offending other women. It goes without saying....men should keep their hands and suggestions to themselves. But how women dress sends a message, whether or not they are willing to "play the game."
Hillary Clinton's single-color suits with plain, longer jackets made her look like a senior citizen Teletubby. An evil, manipulative Teletubby.

When my husband was in the military at the Pentagon, he was tasked with interviewing people for a government job. One young woman (new graduate) came to the interview wearing a business suit with a lacy bra visibly showing at the 'V'--NO shirt! It was not a camisole. It was clearly a bra. She looked surprised when she arrived and saw that two female co-workers of my husband's (one was my husband's boss) were also in attendance. She said "I thought you were the only one interviewing me" to my husband. Oh really...?!

So when do some of these women want to be given attention for being alluring? When they have potential to be hired/promoted/get pay raises/special perks, probably! Do alluring women usually get hired over the plain or modestly dressed women? In some places, yes, of course they do.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:09 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Ex boyfriend was the CEO of a large corporation. I asked him what he thought about women dressing provocatively at work. He said, "It's a bonus!"

Old 12-14-2017, 08:20 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
There is no excuse for sexual harassment. I don’t care what a woman wears. If she was dressed provocatively that does not give anyone a green light to go after her. I don’t know how some of you were raised but I was taught from a child to respect other peoples space.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:37 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Well now.

"Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio), the longest-serving woman in the House, said Wednesday that some congresswomen and staffers dress so inappropriately that their clothing is "an invitation" to sexual harassment, sources told Politico:
He's sort of on the right track.

What he should have said is that dressing provocatively can BE sexual harassment. It can unduly inject sexuality into the workplace in a way that disrupts work and makes men uncomfortable (especially given the restraints on their conduct).

Old 12-14-2017, 08:45 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What "intent" is that?

Attack me? Rape me? Touch me without my consent?

If that is the "intent" that you think that women are signaling than there is something seriously wrong with you.
That's not what he's thinking, and the fact that you interpret it that way says a lot about you.

Sexual harassment is not a crime, so he's obviously not talking about crimes like "attacking", "rape", or offensive "touching".

Old 12-14-2017, 08:50 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
What he should have said is that dressing provocatively can BE sexual harassment. It can unduly inject sexuality into the workplace in a way that disrupts work and makes men uncomfortable (especially given the restraints on their conduct).
That is a very good point and needs to be addressed. How would women react if they worked with a man dressed like this?.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:06 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Clothing is only a small part of it. Waitresses are all in uniforms and they still get hit on. Harassed badly even. Many are in pretty modest uniforms. They are a good example of an easy target. That's what most women get offended by when at work. You can be a target for 8 hours and you can't get away easily.

I have worked in offices that even demanded clothing that would be considered sexual today. No pants, skirts and dresses and high heels only. These were mostly banks in the late 80's and early 90's. It didn't increase harassment that I noticed compared to other jobs I had. What slowed it WAY down though was Anita Hill.

I don't think it's clothes as much. Men tend to hit on the best looking ones regardless of clothing. Same with women.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:09 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Well now.

"Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio), the longest-serving woman in the House, said Wednesday that some congresswomen and staffers dress so inappropriately that their clothing is "an invitation" to sexual harassment, sources told Politico:

"I saw a member yesterday with her cleavage so deep it was down to the floor,” Kaptur said during a private Democratic Caucus meeting on sexual harassment in Congress. <>
"Mirror mirror on the wall,
That old lady's
Are about to fall."

Old 12-15-2017, 06:57 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
That is a very good point and needs to be addressed. How would women react if they worked with a man dressed like this?.
Or something like this:

Not appropriate at the beach, let alone a work environment. Yet some women wear work clothes that don't hide much more than that. And then complain-not about being groped, but being looked at! There is a point when your choice of work attire IS a form of sexual harassment. When you "overly sexualize" yourself and insist on doing so in front of co-workers is one of those times, in today's work environment. Clothing suitable for the beach or nightclub where you're trolling for sexual attention is not appropriate for a work environment. Seems like common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies