Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 03:48 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times

Advertisements

Great video I discovered few weeks ago.

"The Two States of California" by Victor Davis Hanson, a native Californian classicist, historian and Hoover Institute Senior Fellow. Still a registered member of the Democratic Party but with more conservative views on some aspects.

Please before jumping to insults and sneering, watch the damn video.....really enlightening and informative....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1eNcuGcPW4&t=314s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 03:51 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Great video I discovered few weeks ago.

"The Two States of California" by Victor Davis Hanson, a native Californian classicist and historian. Still a registered member of the Democratic Party but with more conservative views on some aspects.

Please before jumping to insults and sneering, watch the damn video.....really enlightening and informative....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1eNcuGcPW4&t=314s
Many great points, most of which are not unknown (if you live in CA, you are VERY, VERY aware of these points). This isn't really a "liberal" issue. And is certainly not specific to CA.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Many great points, most of which are not unknown (if you live in CA, you are VERY, VERY aware of these points). This isn't really a "liberal" issue. And is certainly not specific to CA.
In a way it is, California is basically a single party state.
I agree that, in general, many of these issues discussed apply to the entire nation.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:01 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
In a way it is, California is basically a single party state.
I agree that some of these issues can be seen in other states.
I'm not really stating it outloud, but what I'm really getting at goes beyond "Democrat" vs. "Republican".

What happens in places like the Bay Area (where I live) is really about property rights, NIMBYism, and a low amount of easy-to-build-on land...and these issues exist in almost every major city - both in democratic and republican strongholds.

CA finds itself in a very unfortunate situation because of these factors...and yes, the issues may be exacerbated by some decisions made by politicians in the state - but the biggest issue, and most core to the affordability problem, is in regards to housing (and the inability to build more where we need it).

The neglect and depressed nature of most of the rest state is a story not too dissimilar to other rural parts of the country. That part is very much not CA-specific. And I agree, it is sad and unfortunate.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 12-14-2017 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-14-2017, 04:03 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Mandatory viewing? Sounds like someone enjoys big brother.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:03 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
I read Mexifornia a long time ago. Let's just say, he'd get an "F" in terms of crediting his sources.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm not really stating it outloud, but what I'm really getting at goes beyond "Democrat" vs. "Republican".

What happens in places like the Bay Area (where I live) is really about property rights, NIMBYism, and a low amount of easy-to-build-on land...and these issues exist in almost every major city - both in democratic and republican strongholds.
Yes it goes beyond that, much deeper...

Old 12-14-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I read Mexifornia a long time ago. Let's just say, he'd get an "F" in terms of crediting his sources.
In this video there not much need for sources...some fairly easy to verify and understand issues.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:39 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Good Video, liked much of what he said and I was one of those 80k workers that left for many of the reasons he stated. Too bad most here will not sit through it nor will the far left listen to it, after all they have all the answers...............

Old 12-14-2017, 04:50 PM

665 posts, read 613,697 times
I watched it the other day. It's a very good video about the current condition of this State. I do think that the extremes he pointed out exist in other states but the not to the extend it is in this State with the battle between coastal and inland California regions. In many ways, inland California including northern California north of wine country is subsidizing coastal California.

The future is not bright in this State versus how it was viewed a number of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies