Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which political philosophy do you think Donald Trump's tenure has operated under so far?
Dictatorship 12 25.53%
Democracy 5 10.64%
Republic 23 48.94%
Monarchy 6 12.77%
Communism 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 08:27 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Democrats running on New Deal principles lost to Republicans selling “you’re better than those people, so why should you pay taxes to support them?” Tired of losing elections, the Democrats went “Republican Lite" from Bill Clinton onward.
This statement needs to be framed and hung on the wall of every American living room, and engraved onto stone monuments that are placed in every American town square.

Truer words have not been spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 12:03 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
I'm sure there will be no shortage of ignorant liberals saying he's a dictator.
He is not a dictator; our system of government does not allow him to be one.

But if the checks and balances were not there, I doubt he would tolerate open criticism of his policies and support free expression by his political opponents. Given how he has already tried to heavily influence the FBI, I doubt he would be interested in supporting rule of law as opposed to his ability to send prosecutors after anyone who crosses him. He has no genuine respect for our way of life; he's interested in doing whatever is good for Trump, and he's happy to use populist rhetoric to get it.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:46 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
I think there needs to be one more choice..........

Utter chaos.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:35 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,541 times
We are a Republic and the President operates within it.
I'd ask the twits that voted Monarchy or Dictatorship
why he isn't getting everything he wants.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:45 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
It's kind of interesting how democrats always say we are a democracy, but if you research the two terms, they should actually be saying we are a republic.

Democracy implies rule by the majority only, who can do anything they can wish to the minority. If anything we started out more democracy but turned more republic as we've granted more and more rights for minorities as we've progressed as a nation. However nobody likes people who split hairs and argue terminology am I right?

We are clearly not a dictatorship or monarchy and anyone who says we are doesn't understand their definitions. The term democrats are looking for in this case would be "totalitarian." A president that abuses executive order privilege is acting in a totalitarian manner. Looking back at past presidents, executive orders started getting popular as far back as Lincoln, though Teddy Roosevelt is when they really got excessive. Every president from 1900-1950 went through them like candy, granted we had two world wars during that time which is what they are designed for. George W Bush and Barack Obama have the lowest numbers of issued executive orders of any presidents (averaged per year) going back to Grover Cleveland. Trump is not off to the best start in this department, though you'd have to dig through each order of every president to see if they are just reversing orders from past presidents.

We also have a bit of oligarchy and Kritarchy within our system. A lot of social change in this country has come through the judicial system and not through actual laws that have been passed or constitutional amendments.

Conservatives argue that it's the judge's job to interpret the constitution, not create social policy, but in reality neither "conservative" nor "liberal" judges are ever entirely unbiased. In the end I'd say having this third branch of our government overall does more good than harm, however.

Likewise, corporations and the wealthy billionaires that own the banks have a lot of power around the world to influence policy because we the people don't do a good enough job making sure corrupt politicians are voted out of office. The globalist agenda of billionaires like Soros is quite apparent though it's beneath the surface and rarely sees media attention. This also occurs because they control the media, which when it comes to the big networks has become much more centralized, and despite the internet and forums like this, most people still use the media as their de facto source of information.

In the end, after spending 30 minutes researching various forms of government, I was forced to vote "republic" though most of our past presidents have acted like totalitarians with their liberal use of executive orders. I think the average westernized individual living in the US, western Europe, and Canada, and a number of other nations as well, don't realize how lucky we are to have the representative form of government we have today. It's not perfect but you don't see people being killed for simply expressing their opinion, saying the earth is round, or whatnot. As a culture we have come a LONG ways.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-17-2017 at 04:24 AM..

Old 12-17-2017, 03:45 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,467,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Then Obama went about trying to prove them right. Thanks Obama, what an idiot !!!
Idiots are those who are still searching under their beds for commies.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:56 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
I voted Republic. I'm probably the only liberal to do so, judging by the responses so far, but the fact is, that is the system we - and he - have in place, for better or for worse.

I think a better question might be "What political system would Donald Trump like to operate under?"

I believe I would have a very different reply to that.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:04 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
You missed the important ones.

Trump's administration is a combination of kakistocracy and kleptocracy.

Ineptitude and corruption is what Trump will be remembered for.
So much this.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:35 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,290,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Idiots are those who are still searching under their beds for commies.
Seriously, how old are these “commies are everywhere” posters?

Tail Gunner Joe drank himself to death 60 years ago.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:56 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
OTHER: The ME! ME! ME! Principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies