Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 01:25 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,105,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Smiley not only denied mistreating any of the women with whom he worked, but also claimed PBS never informed him he was being investigated until he threatened the network with a lawsuit; never told him who his accusers were; and never interviewed his current colleagues to testify to his character.

Worse, he said, “Almost immediately following the meeting [with PBS investigators], this story broke in Variety as an ‘exclusive.’ Indeed, I learned more about these allegations reading the Variety story than the PBS investigator shared with me, the accused, in our 3 hour face to face meeting.”

What Smiley experienced is exactly the sort of kangaroo court process that students have been experiencing on college campuses for the last few years.

President Donald Trump and Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos ended that policy in September, outlining new rules that grant due process to students accused of sexual misconduct while still protecting the safety and dignity of victims. But the Obama-era rules persist in several states, where they were codified into law by overzealous Democrats.

'This Has Gone Too Far': Tavis Smiley Challenges #MeToo Overreach - Breitbart

Could there be too much of a rush to judgment in these situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 01:27 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,771,508 times
Breitbart, huh?

Old 12-16-2017, 01:31 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Yes, it has gone too far. It's too easy to ruin somebody's life.

If they are a public figure, evil people can claim sexual harassment with NO PROOF and the target must defend themselves or give up their position.

Similarly, if you hate somebody, all you have to do is tell LE that they are dealing drugs. LE will raid their house and maybe kill them or their dogs with no evidence at all.

Our society over reacts on a daily basis. And the news media fans those flames and sometimes even creates the panic or rush to judgement.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:32 PM

27,660 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Buh bye loser

Old 12-16-2017, 01:34 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,105,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Breitbart, huh?

Smiley is a leftist. So they are being nice to defend him

Old 12-16-2017, 01:39 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Listen, I've long said that mere allegations of sexual misconduct should never be enough to ruin someone's life. Especially when the accuser(s) and the accused are both credible and the allegations cannot be proved. While I appreciate that the issues of sexual assault and harassment are being taken more seriously today than they may have been in the past, we have gone off the deep in via many cases. For those who are applauding the downfall of men and a few women who have been accused of sexual misconduct (and its essentially only a he said, she said situation, with zero corroborating evidence), I say be careful what you wish for. Indeed, something will give and it won't be pretty. Someone is going to be caught in a lie and, fair or not, people will become much, much more skeptical of allegations, even to where there is some corroborating evidence.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:11 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,164,577 times
I remain with my conclusion that the accusations themselves fall into the category that a man desired sex and let a potential partner know it. Anybody who was not a virgin in a young arranged marriage should have what is now a complaint in their history.

Since the witch hunts so far are seen as political, in we can get ours to quit so we can be the Moral Majority to get President Trump the witch burning fires have yet to burn out..

Old 12-17-2017, 03:07 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Gone to far? I don't think we've seen anything yet.

the metoo net is going to scoop up a lot more fish, guilty or not.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:12 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Listen, I've long said that mere allegations of sexual misconduct should never be enough to ruin someone's life. Especially when the accuser(s) and the accused are both credible and the allegations cannot be proved. .......
That ship sailed and won't be coming back to port any more than dowries making a comeback in the Western world.

It's going to be an interesting future with regards to male/female interactions, relationships gone bad and so on.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:56 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,697,263 times
I watched the Tavis Smiley interview on Good Morning today. He spoke of the guilty by accusation climate in his meeting. Which they only consented to by threat of lawsuit. However in 3 hours of meeting he was not able to find any information. We need new laws to protect the falsely accused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies