Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 07:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Thanks to the ACA, several medical coverage sharing plans have been brought to market, and that has worked for me.

Back in th day, when I worked for an O&G company with great benefits, I had a plan I was very happy to have. It was one where I had to pay most upfront costs, but my portion of the price tag was very low. I utilized a medical savings account, so even that big upfront chunk I’d have to pay if something bad happened was a non-issue.

Well, I decided that I didn’t want to work for “the man” anymore. In 2015, I was having to pay $1,000 out of pocket each month for my family’s healthcare coverage. That sucked.

Well, due to the ACA and it’s mandates, some medical sharing popped up.

I go through Christian Care Ministries medi-share plan. I pay a total of $358 a month. Now, I’m on the hook for the first $7500 each year, which is ALL out of pocket, but I also have zero caps on coverage.

There are a few restrictions as well, but nothing that is a show stopper.

Overall, it benefits me tremendously, and I’m not sure if it would exist if not for the ACA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 08:04 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
The ACA has worked for me, too. I'm self-employed and was priced out of the market trying to buy my own insurance and went without insurance for more than a decade before the ACA was passed. Now I've been able to buy insurance (note, I don't get it for nothing, as many here claim) for the last four years and saw a doctor for the first time in over a decade, and discovered a medical condition that could have been quite serious if it had gone untreated for much longer.

My sister, who was also self-employed for many years before the ACA and had no insurance for the same reason, nearly died from a condition that she was unaware of and that could have been easily treated before it got critical had she had access to medical care. She was able to get on Medicaid because her state expanded the coverage following the passage of the law, and received excellent treatment. She landed a new job a few months ago and remains a productive member of society because she had access to medical care when she needed it.

There are millions of people who have benefited, as was apparent when some Republicans set up a social media site to collect "Obamacare Horror Stories" and got overwhelmed by people telling their stories about how the ACA saved thier lives or the lives of their friends and loved ones.

Instead of taking credit for the ACA, which is a Conservative plan and was their idea to begin with, the right has tried to destroy it, and for one reason only--because it was President Obama and the Democrats who took their idea and ran with it.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The ACA has worked for me, too. I'm self-employed and was priced out of the market trying to buy my own insurance and went without insurance for more than a decade before the ACA was passed. Now I've been able to buy insurance (note, I don't get it for nothing, as many here claim) for the last four years and saw a doctor for the first time in over a decade, and discovered a medical condition that could have been quite serious if it had gone untreated for much longer.

My sister, who was also self-employed for many years before the ACA and had no insurance for the same reason, nearly died from a condition that she was unaware of and that could have been easily treated before it got critical had she had access to medical care. She was able to get on Medicaid because her state expanded the coverage following the passage of the law, and received excellent treatment. She landed a new job a few months ago and remains a productive member of society because she had access to medical care when she needed it.

There are millions of people who have benefited, as was apparent when some Republicans set up a social media site to collect "Obamacare Horror Stories" and got overwhelmed by people telling their stories about how the ACA saved thier lives or the lives of their friends and loved ones.

Instead of taking credit for the ACA, which is a Conservative plan and was their idea to begin with, the right has tried to destroy it, and for one reason only--because it was President Obama and the Democrats who took their idea and ran with it.
What city are you in? How many people are you covering? What company is it through? Which plan level? How much are you paying monthly? What are your deductibles?

Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
.............Instead of taking credit for the ACA, which is a Conservative plan and was their idea to begin with.....................
No one cares. The ACA is a bad law and is unsustainable. It is dying.

We heard the same thing about the Obamaphone - how it was actually a Republican idea. Bad law is bad law.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
I'm glad it worked for you. Thanks Obama!!!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

We heard the same thing about the Obamaphone - how it was actually a Republican idea. Bad law is bad law.
Tell that to the millions of people who have coverage now, who didn't before the ACA. Or the millions of people who had preexisting conditions and couldn't get coverage. Or the millions of people who had no access to insurance. Or the millions of people who reached their cap and were dropped. Or the millions of people who were too poor to afford insurance but were denied Medicaid.

Millions upon millions of people disagree with you.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:00 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,171 times
Quote:

Landlines was the republican idea. But it was under Obama that they switched to cell phones and the cheating began as cellphones can't be tracked to a single address like a landline can.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:01 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Tell that to the millions of people who have coverage now, who didn't before the ACA. Or the millions of people who had preexisting conditions and couldn't get coverage. Or the millions of people who had no access to insurance. Or the millions of people who reached their cap and were dropped. Or the millions of people who were too poor to afford insurance but were denied Medicaid.

Millions upon millions of people disagree with you.
It's still dying.
Most of the exchanges are already gone.

As it is, it's the only game in town.
Ever ask yourself why you promote it so often?

Old 12-18-2017, 09:06 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
ACA was a bad system designed to fail and would have to be continually propped up. Eventually the GOP would be in power and end it. Everyone knew it was coming. It was just a matter of time.
The biggest tax increase in a lifetime and outright theft if you didn't buy it.
Sure it worked for some but other people paid for it. Buy me a house and a car and I'll be happy and chip in to pay the tags and keep insurance on them.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
It's still dying.
Most of the exchanges are already gone.

As it is, it's the only game in town.
Ever ask yourself why you promote it so often?
I promote it because it saved my sister's life, and allowed me and millions of others to get access to insurance where we had none before. Because people with preexisting conditions can get insurance now. Because people who are self-employed can get access to affordable insurance.

It doesn't have to die. But it will if the GOP has its way. To hell with those millions of Americans who need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies