Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 03:46 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
E.R.s aren't going to close. Sheesh.
How do you think they are funded?

With no funding, they close.

More than that they do not provide comprehensive medical care. No on-going anything for any medical problem. They will refer you to a doctor for any kind of illness that requires extended treatment.

You are deluding yourself if you think ERs are the solution.

Last edited by Weichert; 12-21-2017 at 03:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 05:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
Actually it’s Amtrak who can’t even drive a train but I see where you’re going with this and would say you’re not wrong.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:03 AM

30,183 posts, read 11,821,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
How do you think they are funded?

With no funding, they close.

More than that they do not provide comprehensive medical care. No on-going anything for any medical problem. They will refer you to a doctor for any kind of illness that requires extended treatment.

You are deluding yourself if you think ERs are the solution.
I believe the best solution is offering catastrophic private insurance that kicks in after the first $10K or $20K or even higher and offers a yearly doctors checkups. Nothing else. If someone cannot pay the deductible put them on a payment plan or take it out of their tax refund. One of the selling points on Obamacare was to keep people from going bankrupt because of a medical emergency. This would solve that.

About 12 years ago when I did not have a plan with the spouse I got use very high deductible coverage for about $100 a month each. I only wanted it in case some horrible thing happened that would cost several hundreds thousands to deal with.

All prescriptions are paid the patient and get their costs down like in Canada and Mexico. Really poor people get some sort of waiver.

For expensive surgery fly people to India or other low cost country to get it done. If wealthy people like in Europe do this why not everyone else.

If someone wants something more, they can pay out of pocket.

You don't need to socialize the whole thing to make it work. You just need to think outside the box a bit. I also think that people who smoke, drink or do drugs and have health issues because of doing so in excess should pay for that stupidity. Not myself. Perhaps doing so might cause a societal change that actually gets people more proactive about their health.

Regarding ER's. With or without insurance all people not in very serious shape have to be forced to lower cost clinics staffed with a nurse. No exceptions. Get the visits down in cost, say less than $50.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 12-21-2017 at 06:12 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 06:56 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
is partially government funded yet operated and managed as a for-profit corporation.[1]
This is one of the problems with the 3 or 4 decade old ideology of 'privatizing government'. Some folks seem to believe it's the only way to solve problems ~ a fanatastical panacea, so to speak.

There's still much talk of privatizing Freddie & Fannie Mac, despite the fact that it was the fully private segment of the market that caused millions of foreclosures & brought down the entire financial system.

Privatize Social Security, & Medicare, & Medicaid, & so on.

Then, of course, the idea that's being played out in our current debacle ~ operating & managing government as a for-profit corporation. Cui bono? (literally "for whose benefit?") It's worth asking yourself, who profits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies