Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 04:06 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sigh....It is sad the OP is trivializing this article which actually highlights an actual issue that is a huge real issue for black Americans.

I've noted often on the forum that health disparities for black Americans and infant mortality rates should be of the most supreme importance for black American activism and now that this actual topic, which is directly affected to saving people's lives is something that got some pretty widely read media attention, those amongst us here who always seem to want to complain about black people due to their own disdain for people of darker hues from themselves, want to make light of these conditions.

Facts are that stress is a huge contributor to the health disparities facing black America. All people are subject to stress that will create issues with their physical health. Contrary to what you may believe, or that you especially cannot understand, dealing with racism actually is stressful and is a contributing, though indirect factor in the health of black Americans.

As was noted in the article and various studies on healthcare that black people receive in this country, blacks are oftentimes not treated as well as non-black patients by doctors. FWIW, it is a reason why I always get a black American doctor (not an immigrant in most cases and I know this is prejudiced of me but it is important to me to not be seen as a stereotype by my physician so I always get myself and my children a black doctor who is from America - I actually look up their background, where they went to school, etc.).

This is not a fabrication made up by liberals. Health disparities are real and they affect real peoples lives. It is sad and disgusting honestly that the OP and those who posted here in the earlier pages made light of the fact that black mothers don't receive adequate care after the births of their children, no matter if they are married or they have higher educational and income levels than whites - they are much more likely to die of easily preventable conditions because people do not view blacks as in need of adequate, decent care post partem.

The women's story in the NPR piece, was very similar to my own experience after the birth of my last child. Fortunately, I did not have the previous health conditions that she had, but I had a very similar post partum experience. The difference between she and I was the fact that I had a black female, American, OBGYN who made sure I stayed in the hospital for 2 days beyond my expected release date due to me having an elevated BP. I also had a doula who helped me post partum at home and monitored my BP. I had a hematoma as was noted this woman had as well and I developed an infection from c-section as well. I was very heavily monitored by my care team. This woman was brushed off and she died from something that was preventable.

It is very tragic that her daughter now has no mother and her mother now has no daughter. When I initially read this, it made me tear up, yet those of you here want to post this as an ignorant rant about how you know more about black people's health issues than black people do. Ironically, as was noted, the woman who died was a leading researcher on health disparities for black Americans.
It is sad that you think racism is a major cause of stress. You make things up and never back them with facts.

Gee I wonder what i$ the leading cau$e of $tre$$ in America?
Financial worries served as a significant source of stress for 64 percent of adults in 2014, ranking higher than three other major sources of stress: work (60 percent), family responsibilities (47 percent), and health concerns (46 percent).

Oddly enough the health disparities for black Americans and infant mortality rate disparitites that you mention but ignore the cause of, are tied into the same thing. Money.

Probably a racist article right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 04:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Uhh, no.

I’m not missing the point, in fact, I’m far from it.

I’m sure the regulars who post here have seen these posts. They’re an opportunity to rant about black people. And often more than not, ANY thread that specifically mentions black people.
I'm not saying threads like those you describe don't exist but if you think every thread that involves black people being wronged according to SJW's is about black people, then you're buying into the rhetoric.

Your choice, of course.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:00 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Sigh....It is sad the OP is trivializing this article which actually highlights an actual issue that is a huge real issue for black Americans.

I've noted often on the forum that health disparities for black Americans and infant mortality rates should be of the most supreme importance for black American activism and now that this actual topic, which is directly affected to saving people's lives is something that got some pretty widely read media attention, those amongst us here who always seem to want to complain about black people due to their own disdain for people of darker hues from themselves, want to make light of these conditions.

Facts are that stress is a huge contributor to the health disparities facing black America. All people are subject to stress that will create issues with their physical health. Contrary to what you may believe, or that you especially cannot understand, dealing with racism actually is stressful and is a contributing, though indirect factor in the health of black Americans.

As was noted in the article and various studies on healthcare that black people receive in this country, blacks are oftentimes not treated as well as non-black patients by doctors. FWIW, it is a reason why I always get a black American doctor (not an immigrant in most cases and I know this is prejudiced of me but it is important to me to not be seen as a stereotype by my physician so I always get myself and my children a black doctor who is from America - I actually look up their background, where they went to school, etc.).

This is not a fabrication made up by liberals. Health disparities are real and they affect real peoples lives. It is sad and disgusting honestly that the OP and those who posted here in the earlier pages made light of the fact that black mothers don't receive adequate care after the births of their children, no matter if they are married or they have higher educational and income levels than whites - they are much more likely to die of easily preventable conditions because people do not view blacks as in need of adequate, decent care post partem.

The women's story in the NPR piece, was very similar to my own experience after the birth of my last child. Fortunately, I did not have the previous health conditions that she had, but I had a very similar post partum experience. The difference between she and I was the fact that I had a black female, American, OBGYN who made sure I stayed in the hospital for 2 days beyond my expected release date due to me having an elevated BP. I also had a doula who helped me post partum at home and monitored my BP. I had a hematoma as was noted this woman had as well and I developed an infection from c-section as well. I was very heavily monitored by my care team. This woman was brushed off and she died from something that was preventable.

It is very tragic that her daughter now has no mother and her mother now has no daughter. When I initially read this, it made me tear up, yet those of you here want to post this as an ignorant rant about how you know more about black people's health issues than black people do. Ironically, as was noted, the woman who died was a leading researcher on health disparities for black Americans.
And just like the NPR piece, there is absolutely no mention of where the baby daddies are in all of this. And there is the true source of the stress... having no man to help with financial and emotional support or parenting.

And just like the NPR piece, you'd rather throw blame at imaginary racists, rather than blame the absence of the black fathers of these babies.

If the Hispanic community doesn't have this issue, it's because at least their menfolk are around and being proud fathers to their children.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:20 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
NPR tells us that the relatively high black rate of premature birth and infant mortality is likely due to white people being racist. Black mothers are so stressed over the racism they experience that it kills their babies.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-their-infants

If middle class black mothers are so stressed about racism that they lose their babies, articles like this are a leading cause. NPR kills babies.
This is the problem with the right-wing war on education. You have an article which quotes multiple academics and research articles, but your instant reaction is to blame the author and news source for content you don't like, because your anti-college stance has left you without critical thinking skills when it comes to research and verifiable sources.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:25 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Facts are that stress is a huge contributor to the health disparities facing black America. All people are subject to stress that will create issues with their physical health. Contrary to what you may believe, or that you especially cannot understand, dealing with racism actually is stressful and is a contributing, though indirect factor in the health of black Americans
Stress stemming from racism for black Americans is one of those elusive immeasurable paradigms...I guess.

Just like the magical white privilege that falls like fairy dust on folks with pale skin.

We "just know it's there" and to argue against it is to be racist.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:30 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,343 times
Do blacks ever accept responsibility for ANYTHING?

Old 12-22-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This is the problem with the right-wing war on education. You have an article which quotes multiple academics and research articles, but your instant reaction is to blame the author and news source for content you don't like, because your anti-college stance has left you without critical thinking skills when it comes to research and verifiable sources.
They never mentioned where in Cleveland she lives.

Any chance that perhaps her neighborhood is most likely a crime-ridden hellhole and maybe that creates stress?

Decades later when I find myself under a lot of stress from work or some other life event I'll have dreams about when I was young living in the ghetto going around checking the locks/windows (as you had to do like clockwork).

I'm not trying to get all Freudian on ya but wanted to show off a bit of book-learnin' myself.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:34 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
NPR tells us that the relatively high black rate of premature birth and infant mortality is likely due to white people being racist. Black mothers are so stressed over the racism they experience that it kills their babies.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-their-infants

If middle class black mothers are so stressed about racism that they lose their babies, articles like this are a leading cause. NPR kills babies.
What does the (B)owe(L) (M)ovement say about this?

Old 12-22-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
Don't make the mistake of collectively condemning a certain group. That's what the liberals want to further divide and conquer.

Individuals and certain segments within populations are to blame for this nonsense. As individuals and as those who value personal responsibility we have to make sure we get to the bottom of who specifically is playing the race card.

Plenty of black people don't buy this garbage. NPR and the woman in this story are pieces of trash.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
Black folks aren't the ones saying this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies