Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 01:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I'm not defending his product...Im defending his right to voice an opinion.
Who is arguing that he doesn't have the right to express his opinion? I'll spare you the trouble of tallying up the responses to this thread - exactly NO ONE is arguing that he can't express himself.

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
You can spin it all you want...He was forced to step down for criticizing the players and thats the truth whether you want to admit it or not...
Um - yes, that is partially the truth. You fail to mention that it is because his product isn't selling anymore. He can say whatever he wants (free country!) - and people can exercise their freedoms to not support a company where their CEO says those things.

Are you trying to tell me something I don't know?

Welcome to America. You seem confused about what our country is about - this is a great illustration of the market in action.

I recommend some reading - starting with history and the Constitution.

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Do we still live in America where one can voice an opinion or are we living under liberal fascism.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12...ping-down-ceo/
The definition of liberal is : "favorable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms." There are plenty of leftists who are not liberal, and plenty of liberals who are not leftists.

If something is totalitarian it is, by definition, no longer liberal. "Liberal Totalitarianism" is an oxymoron.

Furthermore, this situation isn't even totalitarian in the first place, since it wasn't the central government that had anything to do with him to stepping down. The CEO is, in fact, a supporter of the current government.

This is what happens when people go around redefining words to suit their political narratives. Believe it or not, relying on Fox News for all your information has certain drawbacks, particularly their ridiculous vocabulary.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
You can spin it all you want...He was forced to step down for criticizing the players and thats the truth whether you want to admit it or not...
The company board itself refused to say why they were replacing him as CEO. So you are choosing to believe that his opinion was the deciding factor. Well, maybe it was. I wasn't there, I didn't hear the conversation or read the memos, I don't know why they decided to replace him, and NEITHER DO YOU. But I think it would be pretty strange for a board to jettison a CEO who was performing well - i.e. producing sales that met or exceeded investor expectations. And that's not a matter of opinion or spin, it's a matter of cold, hard cash, which is on the public record, no surmising necessary.

If you wanted to show support for Schnatter, then you should have purchased more Papa John's pizza yourself. So actually, it seems to me that this is a failure on the part of Schnatter's supporters. I can see why you wouldn't want to blame yourself for your inadequate support though.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-22-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 01:34 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Do we still live in America where one can voice an opinion or are we living under liberal fascism.

Any smart CEO knows to stay away from controversy and politics. His job is to protect his company and it's image, first and foremost, and not to alienate ANY group of customers. John is a dumbass, and had to get his nose where it doesn't belong, and now he is paying the price.

Hope the new CEO improves their pizza too.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:

You realize 90 percent of the posters in here are liberal loons right? I have been making the argument that all of this political correctness being enforced through the workplace is an assault on free speech for a while now and every time I do I am told “ well this is 2017 not 1980” or “its the employers right to control your speech” and they always remind me its legal for private entities to fire people who have spoken in a politically incorrect fashion. This is a left wing tactic decades in the making, they have threatened, sued and boycotted corporate America for years over various social justice warrior causes until the corporations yielded and agreed to enforce the agenda through employers. Even CEOs are subject to this as we see by the results of this case. The reality is the left has ended free speech in America through this back door method that is legal. Each state that has the legislative ability needs to begin to make laws that protect political speech from employer action AND protect people from employer action regarding social media comments. Corporate America has been coerced into being the lefts tool for imposing political correctness, time to shut these un-American moonbats down. These people have gone so far from supporting American values that I no longer see them as Americans. People who oppose basic rights like free speech are nothing short of an enemy of our country. When our division inevitably leads to internal conflict in this nation those folks will be on the wrong side of the battlefield.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:42 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Papa John's CEO to step down after backlash from comments on NFL protests

Old 12-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You realize 90 percent of the posters in here are liberal loons right? I have been making the argument that all of this political correctness being enforced through the workplace is an assault on free speech for a while now and every time I do I am told “ well this is 2017 not 1980” or “its the employers right to control your speech” and they always remind me its legal for private entities to fire people who have spoken in a politically incorrect fashion. This is a left wing tactic decades in the making, they have threatened, sued and boycotted corporate America for years over various social justice warrior causes until the corporations yielded and agreed to enforce the agenda through employers. Even CEOs are subject to this as we see by the results of this case. The reality is the left has ended free speech in America through this door method that is legal. Each state that has the legislative ability needs to begin to make laws that protect political speech from employer action AND protect people from employer action regarding social media comments. Corporate America has been coerced into being the lefts tool for imposing political correctness, time to shut these un-American moonbats down. These people have gone so far from supporting American values that I no longer see them as Americans. People who oppose basic rights like free speech are nothing short of an enemy of our country. When our division inevitably leads to internal conflict in this nation those folks will be on the wrong side of the battlefield.
That's nice.

If a CEO is presiding over slumping sales, does the board have the right to move him out of the job? Or not?

Old 12-22-2017, 01:49 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
You realize 90 percent of the posters in here are liberal loons right? I have been making the argument that all of this political correctness being enforced through the workplace is an assault on free speech for a while now and every time I do I am told “ well this is 2017 not 1980” or “its the employers right to control your speech” and they always remind me its legal for private entities to fire people who have spoken in a politically incorrect fashion. This is a left wing tactic decades in the making, they have threatened, sued and boycotted corporate America for years over various social justice warrior causes until the corporations yielded and agreed to enforce the agenda through employers. Even CEOs are subject to this as we see by the results of this case. The reality is the left has ended free speech in America through this door method that is legal. Each state that has the legislative ability needs to begin to make laws that protect political speech from employer action AND protect people from employer action regarding social media comments. Corporate America has been coerced into being the lefts tool for imposing political correctness, time to shut these un-American moonbats down. These people have gone so far from supporting American values that I no longer see them as Americans. People who oppose basic rights like free speech are nothing short of an enemy of our country. When our division inevitably leads to internal conflict in this nation those folks will be on the wrong side of the battlefield.
It's actually a business-friendly tactic (one associated with the Republican Party) to allow corporations to dismiss people without apparent cause. This doctrine is Employment-at-will and in lieu of having a union and/or employment contract your employer can dismiss you for any reason, at any time just because they want to. You might think it an attack on free speech and sue and that is your prerogative but the fact remains they (Corporations) can do whatever they want as long as it is not based on discrimination - something much harder to prove.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:50 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
You realize 90 percent of the posters in here are liberal loons right? I have been making the argument that all of this political correctness being enforced through the workplace is an assault on free speech for a while now and every time I do I am told “ well this is 2017 not 1980” or “its the employers right to control your speech” and they always remind me its legal for private entities to fire people who have spoken in a politically incorrect fashion. This is a left wing tactic decades in the making, they have threatened, sued and boycotted corporate America for years over various social justice warrior causes until the corporations yielded and agreed to enforce the agenda through employers. Even CEOs are subject to this as we see by the results of this case. The reality is the left has ended free speech in America through this back door method that is legal.

Each state that has the legislative ability needs to begin to make laws that protect political speech from employer action AND protect people from employer action regarding social media comments. Corporate America has been coerced into being the lefts tool for imposing political correctness, time to shut these un-American moonbats down. These people have gone so far from supporting American values that I no longer see them as Americans. People who oppose basic rights like free speech are nothing short of an enemy of our country. When our division inevitably leads to internal conflict in this nation those folks will be on the wrong side of the battlefield.
^^^^^This. We have been blackmailed, and extorted from free speech with the threat of losing our jobs, and livelihood. Corporations have been held hostage with threats of protests, boycotts, and political measures. Yes it is legal, but it is not reasonable, nor prudent in a supposedly FREE society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies