Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 12:45 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
Why is it relevant? The total popular vote is meaningless when electing a President. Of course, Hillary Clinton won this total popular vote, but who cares?

It's like arguing that the New York Yankees scored more runs than the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 1960 World Series. It's true, but irrelevant. The Pirates won more games. Trump won more electoral votes. The popular vote and total runs in the World Series are both equally irrelevant.
Again, I know this. The popular vote doesn't mean squat at the end of the day. I know how the system works. I'm refuting the claim another poster made when he said that Trump won the popular vote. He didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 12:49 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I have no idea. Why does it matter?

Do you want a participation certificate for Hillary?
You are the one claiming Trump won the popular vote for whatever reason. Seems quite a few Trumplings, including Trump himself, seem obsessed with trying to convince the populace that not only did he win the electoral votes but also the popular.

Are you afraid that because Hillary got more votes than Trump overall that it will translate into a Trump loss in 2020? More people will undoubtedly be voting in that election so I can see where the trepidation is coming from.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:49 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Hillary Clinton did not get 270 electoral votes because she did not win Ohio, Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin (states that gave Obama victory in 2008 and 2012).

r.

BINGO

270-the magic number

Old 12-26-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Yeah but you Trumplings keep trying to claim Trump win the popular vote as well for some odd reason. He didn't. I think you guys make that claim because you want people to believe Trump is a popular president. He isn't.
I never cared about, nor talked about, the meaningless aggregate national popular vote.

I also know the only popularity contest that mattered was winning enough states (31) Election Day 2016 for Trump to become the 45th POTUS.

Any poll the day before, or a year after, means squat.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
Why is it relevant? The total popular vote is meaningless when electing a President. Of course, Hillary Clinton won this total popular vote, but who cares?

It's like arguing that the New York Yankees scored more runs than the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 1960 World Series. It's true, but irrelevant. The Pirates won more games. Trump won more electoral votes. The popular vote and total runs in the World Series are both equally irrelevant.
perfect analogy

Old 12-26-2017, 02:55 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
BINGO

270-the magic number
Trump won in a LANDSLIDE, 306 electoral votes to Hillary's 232 electoral votes. Yet, if you google, or bing electoral votes you get a plethora of Media articles about Clinton winning the popular vote. CNN, NPR, Washpo, Reuters, CBS, Newsweek, etc. They totally focus on the MEANINGLESS popular vote. Amazing.

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You are the one claiming Trump won the popular vote for whatever reason.
Whatever reason? Lawl. Are you even trying to be serious?

I clearly stated this.
  • Trump won the popular vote in 50% more states than Hillary. 30 vs 20. - Fact
  • Electoral votes in those 30 states = 304 for Trump - Fact
  • Trump wins Presidency. - Fact
That is the reason. That's how it's done. It's spelled out in the US Constitution and 50 state Constitutions.

12,638 posts, read 8,960,888 times
I'm an urban voter making over 6 figures with a higher education degree. The Democrat Party is dead to me in its current incarnation.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:01 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
The Dems need to stop pushing DACA and amnesty for any illegal aliens and just advocate for a secure border and e-verify to stop the greedy employers from hiring them. Only then will they gain more votes. But here it is for all to read. They also need to curb all the social programs that are killing the American taxpayer. Illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year, driving down wages and depleting American job opportunities. They say they are for the American worker then let them prove it!

https://amac.us/dems-block-gop-bills...al-immigrants/

Old 12-26-2017, 03:28 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,063,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Their plan is to attack Trump, as the economy gets better and better every week. What are they going to offer? An economy better than we have now?
They're just not going to. The Democratic Party will be exploiting a very sharp contrast come election time, and the economic front will exceed all expectations that nothing they can say can make them win. And they stand no chance in areas where they are in danger of losing seats to Republican candidates. Social issues and emotion don't win elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies