Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 03:07 PM

1,704 posts, read 749,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Yes, every morning I rise, wondering what I can do to attract a man. Will it be the blue sweater? The gray slacks? The print dress? I should ask all the men to choose, since I certainly don't dress to please myself! It doesn't matter that I'm married (happily) and have no desire whatsoever to attract other men, that is why I buy what I buy, and why I wear what I wear.

That is the most insulting, ridiculous, disgusting, inane string of claptrap I've read today. I guarantee you, I spend ZERO time trying to figure out how to look cute for all the men in my workplace.
However, if your husband should ever suddenly find you unattractive, you would wonder why. Most women would make attempts to become more sexually appealing to their spouses.

Then if all attempts fail, depression and unhappiness soon prevail. There would seemingly be an unending cloud of darkness and doom overshadowing your life.

Eventually you would rebound and pursue other interests. For some people, the collapse of a once perceived blossoming romantic relationship is just too devastating to endure. They will then either overcome their depression, or slip into eternal psychological ruin. Some even commit suicide!

We all wish to maintain our deeply valued romantic relationships. We all want to be admired and have mutually satisfying sexual relationships and most of us are willing to do whatever it takes to maintain them.

Of course if it doesn't work, we usually move on to perhaps the next suiter....

We're always in pursuit of a greater degree of happiness. Needless to say, to be romantically content is one of the best kinds of happiness.....

The point is not so much that you'd desire to look cute for all the men at your workplace, as it is that most women want to look and feel that they're attractive to the opposite sex in general.

Otherwise, what's with the obsession with all the lotion, makeup, and fashion?

Last edited by zeliner; 03-08-2018 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 05:50 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
However, if your husband should ever suddenly find you unattractive, you would wonder why. Most women would make attempts to become more sexually appealing to their spouses.

Then if all attempts fail, depression and unhappiness soon prevail. There would seemingly be an unending cloud of darkness and doom overshadowing your life.

Eventually you would rebound and pursue other interests. For some people, the collapse of a once perceived blossoming romantic relationship is just too devastating to endure. They will then either overcome their depression, or slip into eternal psychological ruin. Some even commit suicide!

We all wish to maintain our deeply valued romantic relationships. We all want to be admired and have mutually satisfying sexual relationships and most of us are willing to do whatever it takes to maintain them.

Of course if it doesn't work, we usually move on to perhaps the next suiter....

We're always in pursuit of a greater degree of happiness. Needless to say, to be romantically content is one of the best kinds of happiness.....

The point is not so much that you'd desire to look cute for all the men at your workplace, as it is that most women want to look and feel that they're attractive to the opposite sex in general.

Otherwise, what's with the obsession with all the lotion, makeup, and fashion?
No, we're not willing to do anything. This all sounds a little desperate. Some people aren't even very interested in relationships and they're just fine.

Makeup and fashion isn't an obsession with most women even if they wear it, it's just fun to change up how you look. Everything isn't about attracting men, sorry.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No, we're not willing to do anything. This all sounds a little desperate. Some people aren't even very interested in relationships and they're just fine.

Makeup and fashion isn't an obsession with most women even if they wear it, it's just fun to change up how you look. Everything isn't about attracting men, sorry.
I've been around for quite some time. I grew up surrounded by a bunch of sisters, nieces, and aunts.
It seems they were always either having "man problems", or overtly concerned about maintaining their romantic relationships. During the week, they'd shop for the Saturday night date. However, by Sunday night, there were far too many tears flowing from some kinda romantic disappointment.

They would all take care of their financial responsibilities first. However, the remainder of their menial paychecks would almost always go towards fashionable (usually sexy) clothing, makeup, or jewelry. They were always preoccupied with the mirror. They were always practicing alluring facial expressions and sexy poses.

Sometimes they would ask me to take them to the malls to shop. I would almost always acquiesce and take them. They would always ask, " Does this dress make me look too fat?", or " Do these pants look too tight?", or "Do you think this skirt is too short?"....

So I therefore, beg to differ! Most women are obsessed with both their looks (fashion and makeup) and their romantic relationships..

Only a small minority of people really prefer to lead their lives alone. Most of us crave romance and visual approval. It's that women definitely go far beyond the efforts of men when it comes to visual presentation. I think it's primarily a sex-driven behavior! Women in general, enjoy looking sexy!

Last edited by zeliner; 03-09-2018 at 08:42 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,069,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yeah funny how that works. I'm a guy, and I had my rear end grabbed by a woman at work when I was bending over to take a drink of water at the water fountain in the hall of my office building. No, I didn't do anything about it, I just laughed it off after she said, "nice ass".
I had my very FIRST and hopefully last near grope encounter with a 70 year old woman in my building. My best gal pal (70 too) was introducing me to a new tenant Helen. "Welcome to the building Helen." I was ready to shake her hand when I saw that her right hand was going straight for the "mens only zone." Oh no Helen. I'm not that kind of guy. She said "well you're so cute I couldnt help it." I laughed it off and said bye gotta walk my dog. Shock, shock, shock. Later I found out she had been drinking. As a drinker myself "oh ok that makes sense. You get a pass but keep your mitts to yourself pussycat." My ex is laughing his ass off in heaven.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:03 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
A woman can be butt naked and I would not sexually assault her... I would definitely be looking but that's about it....

Old 03-09-2018, 08:13 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I don't know anyone who "blames" a woman's clothing.

But there's a lot of people who can't seem to differentiate between the concepts of "inviting" sexual harassment and "attracting" it.

Just because a woman dresses in a skimpy outfit doesn't mean that she's "inviting" harassment......but that doesn't mean that dressing provocatively doesn't "attract" attention that may or may not be wanted.

Sure, you can say that men should be able to control themselves...... and you'd be right.

But that mentality flies in the face of reality that some men will choose not to control their behavior, and the reality that when you put your goods on display, you can't pick and choose who is going to look them over.

A bit of common sense goes a long way.
Exactly. You should be able to wear whatever you want to and still have a right to NOT be harassed. Hell, you should be able to wear nothing at all and still have a right to NOT be harassed. What you wear (or don't wear) gives no one a right to harass, rape, molest, etc., you!

Having written all of that, there are some bad people out there. While some will harass you regardless of what you have on, others will feel more emboldened to do so if you're dressing skimpily. Stating this isn't victim blaming, but rather just stating the truth.

On a similar note, one doesn't victim blame if one tells another not to walk around in a bad neighborhood with a $100 bill around his neck or not to wear the color blue when walking through a crips' gang-infested neighborhood. While you have a right to walk around wearing whatever you want to and NOT be harassed or robbed or shot, there are some commonsense things that you can do to help avoid being a victim. Again, one doesn't blame for the victim for pointing this out.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:14 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
What if they're naked?

(just mentioning this because someone was asking on another thread why public nudity isn't acceptable.)

Old 03-09-2018, 08:15 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
If I may ask, what’s the purpose of dressing provocatively?

Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Exactly. You should be able to wear whatever you want to and still have a right to NOT be harassed. Hell, you should be able to wear nothing at all and still have a right to NOT be harassed. What you wear (or don't wear) gives no one a right to harass, rape, molest, etc., you!

Having written all of that, there are some bad people out there. While some will harass you regardless of what you have on, others will feel more emboldened to do so if you're dressing skimpily. Stating this isn't victim blaming, but rather just stating the truth.

On a similar note, one doesn't victim blame if one tells another not to walk around in a bad neighborhood with a $100 bill around his neck or not to wear the color blue when walking through a crips' gang-infested neighborhood. While you have a right to walk around wearing whatever you want to and NOT be harassed or robbed or shot, there are some commonsense things that you can do to help avoid being a victim. Again, one doesn't blame for the victim for pointing this out.
I think if you parade around nekkid then you can't complain about being propositioned, catcalled, leered at, etc.

I don't think you can complain whilst dressed either (who are YOU to demand nobody "harass" you anyway fer chrissakes? Everyone has the freedom of speech...if you don't want to hear it, wear earplugs.)

Old 03-09-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I think if you parade around nekkid then you can't complain about being propositioned, catcalled, leered at, etc.

I don't think you can complain whilst dressed either (who are YOU to demand nobody "harass" you anyway fer chrissakes? Everyone has the freedom of speech...if you don't want to hear it, wear earplugs.)
Damn! You sound just like some kinda Phantom Pilot or something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies