Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 03:49 PM

57,404 posts, read 26,422,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Yet, life expectancy has skyrocketed in CR and infant mortality has plummeted in the past decades. They must be doing a lot of things right. A poor third world country with more than twice the murder rate of America and obesity rates rapidly approaching America's level has higher life expectancy than America...Wait times? If you earn more than $200 a month, even as parent of small children, you dont qualify for Medicaid in Alabama. You simply beg your friends for that $150 000 chemo therapy and if you cant get it, wait for your death. How is this acceptable in the richest country in the world, far, far richer than Costa Rica?
The US has many unhealthy inhabitants, we drink. smoke and eat too much and expect that in the end healthcare can save us. Costa Ricans don't have anywhere near the obesity and diabetes problems that exist in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 03:51 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,144,598 times
/For every story someone has from 'another country' -- there is a story for an American who has had some massive fail because of health coverage -- not enough, not available, denied access by insurance, etc....insurance limits, etc.......it goes on and on.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:56 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,771,317 times
Quote:
Yet, life expectancy has skyrocketed in CR and infant mortality has plummeted in the past decades. They must be doing a lot of things right. A poor third world country with more than twice the murder rate of America and obesity rates rapidly approaching America's level has higher life expectancy than America...Wait times? If you earn more than $200 a month, even as parent of small children, you dont qualify for Medicaid in Alabama. You simply beg your friends for that $150 000 chemo therapy and if you cant get it, wait for your death. How is this acceptable in the richest country in the world, far, far richer than Costa Rica?
Don't shoot the messenger buddy. I'm just telling you the truth. Normal, every day Costa Ricans don't use the public health care system. They use their private insurance and go to one of the new private hospitals. Life expectancy and infant mortality rates are probably up due to many factors & one of those may be so many people in the country switching to private insurance over the public option.

I'm not defending the health care system in our country. I'm just pointing out that Costa Rica's two-tiered society is not the model we should strive for.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:03 PM

14,221 posts, read 7,002,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The US has many unhealthy inhabitants, we drink. smoke and eat too much and expect that in the end healthcare can save us. Costa Ricans don't have anywhere near the obesity and diabetes problems that exist in the states.
Thats just terrible excuses. Same with blaming it on the Mexican immigrants. Americans dont drink much. Not much smoking either. Obesity is high but lots of countries are approaching America's level there. Care to explain why its so good to beg your friends for $150 000 to get that chemo therapy? In Costa Rica, everyone gets care. And their skyrocketing life expectancy, higher than America, proves they are investing in the quality of life of their citizens.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:09 PM

14,221 posts, read 7,002,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Don't shoot the messenger buddy. I'm just telling you the truth. Normal, every day Costa Ricans don't use the public health care system. They use their private insurance and go to one of the new private hospitals. Life expectancy and infant mortality rates are probably up due to many factors & one of those may be so many people in the country switching to private insurance over the public option.

I'm not defending the health care system in our country. I'm just pointing out that Costa Rica's two-tiered society is not the model we should strive for.
Seems like you are dead wrong. I looked up public health care spending as a share of total health care spending from the World Bank. In Costa Rica, its higher than in Canada. The overwhelming majority of Canadians use the public system and are happy with it. Are you a right winger or a Wall Street Democrat trying to push the agenda of privatized health care (price gouging on stereoids)?

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.PUBL

Old 12-29-2017, 04:09 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,928,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Anybody heading to Costa Rica for vascular or cancer operations, I'll be happy to give you a ride to the airport.
It won't be possible since the internet public search records revealed your drivers license expired Aug 2017...

Old 12-29-2017, 04:19 PM

51,719 posts, read 26,011,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
We already have a three-tiered system.

1) Insurance provided by employers or paid for out of pocket

2) Medicare - Medicaid

3) No insurance at all

A two-tiered system would be an improvement.

However, I think universal health care would be a better option all the way around. Offer everyone Medicare. If folks want to pay for something better, they have that option.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:29 PM

51,719 posts, read 26,011,112 times
It just occurred to me that the U.S. has a tier about the top one.

We have friends who pay an out-of-pocket annual retainer of several thousand dollars to be included as a patient of a concierge medical practice.

They still carry insurance and pay co-pays, but this guarantees they will be seen in a timely manner as the medical practice limits the number of patients they see to a reasonable number.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 12-29-2017 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 04:35 PM

57,404 posts, read 26,422,320 times
Quote:
Seems like you are dead wrong. I looked up public health care spending as a share of total health care spending from the World Bank. In Costa Rica, its higher than in Canada. The overwhelming majority of Canadians use the public system and are happy with it. Are you a right winger or a Wall Street Democrat trying to push the agenda of privatized health care (price gouging on stereoids)?

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.PUBL

I wasn't making excuses why their health care is successful, just criticizing our lifestyles. There are some South American countries that are starting to resemble us because the fast food industry has increased their expansion but that's off topic. Costa Ricans do live healthier and there are certainly plenty of examples of successful expanded health care.

I also think its ridiculous for a country of this enormous wealth to have people go without health care.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:40 PM

20,268 posts, read 9,190,215 times
Costa Rica has 30 hospitals, the US has 5,546. No one with an IQ above 60 would make a comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies