Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 07:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's just plain silly. You think we need to limit SALT but not the 20% deduction for pass through income?
https://outline.com/pckh7m Or the carried interest loophole? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nterest-pledge

Sorry but your logic just doesn't add up to me.
You're mistaken, I have not mentioned pass through income or carried interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 07:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Dont you follow news at all? Thats what state governments in democratic states have been warning about constantly over the past months. And you didnt understand what they were saying?
No, I don't really take those politicians seriously.

I'm still not convinced that it will have the stated impact of 'driving away wealthy people', but at least someone was capable of actually explaining the logic behind that argument.

Quote:
I dont understand progressives who support far right tax policies. The only logic behind it is that it can cause so much suffering at the state level that the calls for a strong expansion of federal government will be needed. Thats what the elites who push this tax bill hope wont happen because they control the courts and the money flowing into Congress.
I don't think rich people will flee high tax states because of the federal tax code. But if they do, New York and New Jersey and California will just have to raise state taxes. Big deal. Maybe California will have some sense, repeal Prop 13, and raise property taxes on all those trillions of dollars worth of oceanfront real estate.

Last edited by le roi; 01-03-2018 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-03-2018, 08:27 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
prevents rent from increasing for 12 months you mean... I'm not sure where you live but I have never seen a lease for residential property longer than a year.
I don't lease, but my mom does. She has a 5 year lease.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If everyone in blue States are rich, then they must be doing something right

Well, those same blue states, also have the highest homeless rates in the nation. The middle class dwindles.

Tax, tax, tax, makes the cost to live go up, up and up. It becomes that the rich can afford it, while others are priced out of a home daily.
All taxes are passed on to the consumer.
Making $25 and hour, and you are still living on the edge of poverty in high tax & spend states.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Well, those same blue states, also have the highest homeless rates in the nation. The middle class dwindles.

Tax, tax, tax, makes the cost to live go up, up and up. It becomes that the rich can afford it, while others are priced out of a home daily.
All taxes are passed on to the consumer.
Making $25 and hour, and you are still living on the edge of poverty in high tax & spend states.
That's certainly the case in California. The middle class along the coast has almost been hollowed out of existence.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:58 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, I don't really take those politicians seriously.

I'm still not convinced that it will have the stated impact of 'driving away wealthy people', but at least someone was capable of actually explaining the logic behind that argument.

I don't think rich people will flee high tax states because of the federal tax code. But if they do, New York and New Jersey and California will just have to raise state taxes. Big deal. Maybe California will have some sense, repeal Prop 13, and raise property taxes on all those trillions of dollars worth of oceanfront real estate.
There is already a work around being developed... make property taxes "Voluntary" like Income Tax and then write it all off... apparently modeled after some charitable donation scheme already used for education...

People keep saying California is a lot tax state... apparently not realizing California has just about every tax known...

Oh... my rate of 1.7% isn't what I would call low either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies