Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 04:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Please explain.
The burden of proof is on you to explain why it does; it's not on me to explain why it doesn't.

so far,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Of course its true
^^ this is the only explanation or evidence I've gotten from PCALMike for any of his claims. "Because I said so" and "Because it is" have been his two core arguments for the past ~15 pages, and I've been watching him go in circles with the constant re-stating of the same naked assertions in various ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 04:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
[quote=le roi;50575722]The burden of proof is on you to explain why it does; it's not on me to explain why it doesn't./QUOTE]

Because some fraction of rich/wealthy people will respond to the loss of their 'excess' SALT deductions by moving to other states, causing the high tax states to lose revenue, leading to some combination of tax reductions and spending cuts.

This will not happen overnight; it's more like this will accelerate the tipping point at which these people move out.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:16 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://thinkprogress.org/blue-state...-bc10df087477/

Democrats are the party of the rich and they will sue anyone who wants to close loopholes or limit deductions for the rich.

I guess now liberal, elite Democratic politicians in blue states now want to sue the federal government over President Trump's tax cuts because they closed tax loopholes and tax deductions for the rich.

I guess the Democrats are angry because tax deductions and now severely limited so that the vast majority of property taxes on mansions and estates and the state and local income taxes will be limited.
Democrats are the party of any person or corporation that wants something from the government for example, people who are on welfare, and of course corporate welfare, corporations that want government favoritism (and lobbyist), people who have govt jobs or contracts.

I predicted this back in Sept when it was on the table.

The Tax Plan - State taxes, the next spin and Democrats fighting to keep deductions for the rich

Old 01-02-2018, 04:17 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Exactly.

States with no income tax:

Alaska.
Florida.
Nevada.
South Dakota.
Texas.
Washington.
Wyoming

I've only been to four of these states, but they all have schools and roads. I assume the other three do as well.

Funny how some states can provide public services with no income taxes on their citizens at all.
Alaska, South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming all have resource extraction taxes to the extent that other tax revenues are unnecessary - oil, gas and coal. The value of oil and coal has dropped significantly. The game is changing significantly.

Microsoft and software has sustained Washington. Washington has a significant business and occupations tax, a deductible business expense.

I don't know enough about Florida or Nevada's economies to comment.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Because some fraction of rich/wealthy people will respond to the loss of their 'excess' SALT deductions by moving to other states, causing the high tax states to lose revenue, leading to some combination of tax reductions and spending cuts.
I'm impressed that you said in 1 sentence what PCALMike failed to say in about 15 pages.

I think it's a reasonable argument you're making, that the SALT deduction might cause wealthy people to flee to lower-tax states, even if such a prediction cannot be proven as fact.

I still don't think that there's anything 'unfair' about it, though.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:26 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
While some wealthy people have established their home base in Texas or Florida, it is difficult to imagine them packing up from other states and and moving to South Dakota, Wyoming, Alaska, ... to lower their taxes.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:47 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I'm impressed that you said in 1 sentence what PCALMike failed to say in about 15 pages.

I think it's a reasonable argument you're making, that the SALT deduction might cause wealthy people to flee to lower-tax states, even if such a prediction cannot be proven as fact.

I still don't think that there's anything 'unfair' about it, though.
Dont you follow news at all? Thats what state governments in democratic states have been warning about constantly over the past months. And you didnt understand what they were saying? I dont understand progressives who support far right tax policies. The only logic behind it is that it can cause so much suffering at the state level that the calls for a strong expansion of federal government will be needed. Thats what the elites who push this tax bill hope wont happen because they control the courts and the money flowing into Congress.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:51 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
How is lowering individual income tax rates good for burger flippers?
Even most burger flippers eventually get a better job and have to pay taxes. You assume they will never amount to anything?

Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Alaska, South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming all have resource extraction taxes to the extent that other tax revenues are unnecessary - oil, gas and coal. The value of oil and coal has dropped significantly. The game is changing significantly.

Microsoft and software has sustained Washington. Washington has a significant business and occupations tax, a deductible business expense.

I don't know enough about Florida or Nevada's economies to comment.
California has Silicon Valley and Hollywood. That dwarfs what Washington state gets from Microsoft and Amazon.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
While some wealthy people have established their home base in Texas or Florida, it is difficult to imagine them packing up from other states and and moving to South Dakota, Wyoming, Alaska, ... to lower their taxes.
In Maryland they moved to Delaware and Virginia. Then Maryland taxes went up to make up the difference. No problem for the tax and spend while taxing the wealthy until they scream crowd.

Oh, Governor O'Malley and the leading legislators defined "wealthy" at that time as a married couple with a combined income of $100K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies