Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2020, 01:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,705,805 times

Advertisements

One of the truly amazing things here - is that Trump fans have refused to accept all the signs that many of us have been posting for a year or more - lower GDP, bad market performance since tax reform, the bad PMI and the people being thrown off health insurance...and MUCH MUCH MORE.....

But, now, all of a sudden...something happens which they cannot deny......instead of accepting that the economy WAS NOT great the entire time, they rather start with "liberals love it when the economy is hurting" and other infantile sayings.

Look - Trump Fans - you are NOT Trump. You are allowed to apologize and/or say your were wrong or are wrong. Why don't you?

Old 02-28-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Typical.

This has nothing to do with President Trump. Or any of his policies, or his presidency.

But congratulations on being happy that Americans are losing money and retirement savings, I guess. I'm sure you have no money to lose, so you don't care anyway.
So, which of these didn't he do:

1. Raise the deficit vastly
2. Create chaos in the business world
3. Cut off most goodwill in the international community

Please let us know.....

19,851 posts, read 22,759,595 times
Quote:
Typical.

This has nothing to do with President Trump. Or any of his policies, or his presidency.

But congratulations on being happy that Americans are losing money and retirement savings, I guess. I'm sure you have no money to lose, so you don't care anyway.
Oh yeah it does. He said so himself. He took credit for it, the Trump cronies crowed about it, so yeah- it is.

Snowflakes.

16,912 posts, read 10,617,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
One of the truly amazing things here - is that Trump fans have refused to accept all the signs that many of us have been posting for a year or more - lower GDP, bad market performance since tax reform, the bad PMI and the people being thrown off health insurance...and MUCH MUCH MORE.....

But, now, all of a sudden...something happens which they cannot deny......instead of accepting that the economy WAS NOT great the entire time, they rather start with "liberals love it when the economy is hurting" and other infantile sayings.

Look - Trump Fans - you are NOT Trump. You are allowed to apologize and/or say your were wrong or are wrong. Why don't you?
So you don’t think the market fall is due to coronavirus and a communist winning the democratic primary? Who was the market just before those two things happened?

Old 02-28-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
To be fair, it is true that Democrat enrollees outnumber Republicans in means-tested public assistance programs by more than 2 to 1.
Better to quote the old lines then to note the performance of the markets under the POTUS of various parties...right?

Old 02-28-2020, 01:53 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,680,328 times
Quote:
So, which of these didn't he do:

1. Raise the deficit vastly
2. Create chaos in the business world
3. Cut off most goodwill in the international community

Please let us know.....
Here's what he didn't do:

1. Create and spread Coronavirus.
2. Cause the whole world to panic.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I've realized returns 12-15% over the past 30 years. It's not hard. TRowe Price Blue Chip and now Fidelity Contrafund.

Also local stocks, non-publicly traded.

As I pointed out- that $5,000 growth to $330K is assuming no additional contributions. I'm quite sure, at least me and my family, are capable of putting $ into funds each month.

Not sure of your point, but have at it.
Oh, it's not hard looking back. But it's gotta be somewhat hard if like 95% of the market and people don't make it......

I could look at the 10 top performers and see those numbers also. But the fact is that most people - by a LONG shot - even the best investors and managers - don't make those returns.

You know, the old Bell Curve at work.

"In all of modern history, the average long term return of the stock market is usually around 7%"

That almost perfectly aligns with the average of the past 20 years (including dividends...maybe 6.5%).

If I made that return I'd have retired at 40 instead of 48.

I'm not an index guy and have beat them in my trading accounts (about 1/2 my $$). The other 1/2 I have always had in Vanguard very conservatively and that brought my returns down....but I am more than happy.

One of the smartest guys I know - a good friend - always made about twice as much money per year as I did. But he was always scared of the stock market. As you well know, compounding is powerful. I estimated that he left at least 4 million dollars on the table because he was scared of the risk....even long term. He's doing fine but with 4 kids including 3 daughters he could have put that money to some good use.

Still, he's happy. And secure. That's all that counts in the end. But it is good for those here who aren't secure yet to know the score. A dude who made 200k+ per year back when it was real money (pre-2000) and lived frugally should have easily been able to have millions with the power of compounding.

Anyway - your kids can rest assured I have been buying today and yesterday. I could care less if it goes down another 10, 20 or 30%. You were in banking...I was in my own business! Risk is the name of the game in small business...that is, we risked everything on a regular basis with lines of credit for inventory, etc. etc.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:57 PM

16,677 posts, read 8,672,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Awww, poor Trumpies. We've been telling them for two years that the Trump stock market bubble was going to burst someday. And now that it finally is, they're accusing us of being Negative Nellies.
^

Quote:
Typical.

Indeed, they have no shame.

I remember when Bill Maher said he hoped for a recession as that would be the only thing that could stop Trump from being re-elected.
Sure a guy with his type of money could weather such a storm, but not your average person. But he does not care about the little guys despite pretending to.
Any to gain ans maintain power.
Heck I heard one of the leftist Hollywood kooks is trying to get people not to spend money in the coming week so as to hurt the economy, and potentially harm Trump's re-election chances.
You just cannot make this type of insanity up.

Now you have fools reveling in the stork market reacting to a potential pandemic, where people are and will be dying.
Yet if that is what it takes for a Democrat to beat Trump, some of these kooks will welcome it.

`

Old 02-28-2020, 02:01 PM

19,851 posts, read 22,759,595 times
Quote:
Oh, it's not hard looking back. But it's gotta be somewhat hard if like 95% of the market and people don't make it......

I could look at the 10 top performers and see those numbers also. But the fact is that most people - by a LONG shot - even the best investors and managers - don't make those returns.

You know, the old Bell Curve at work.

"In all of modern history, the average long term return of the stock market is usually around 7%"

That almost perfectly aligns with the average of the past 20 years (including dividends...maybe 6.5%).

If I made that return I'd have retired at 40 instead of 48.
If you look at the fund managers, which I do, I can expect a reasonable return over the long haul- which I have.

I have a very clear rear view mirror and a clean windshield. These returns aren't that hard. I did it and expect to do it. It's folks expecting 18% or more that have more risk to face, honestly.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,680,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
^

Indeed, they have no shame.

I remember when Bill Maher said he hoped for a recession as that would be the only thing that could stop Trump from being re-elected.
Sure a guy with his type of money could weather such a storm, but not your average person. But he does not care about the little guys despite pretending to.
Any to gain ans maintain power.
Heck I heard one of the leftist Hollywood kooks is trying to get people not to spend money in the coming week so as to hurt the economy, and potentially harm Trump's re-election chances.
You just cannot make this type of insanity up.

Now you have fools reveling in the stork market reacting to a potential pandemic, where people are and will be dying.
Yet if that is what it takes for a Democrat to beat Trump, some of these kooks will welcome it.

`
Yeah I know, it's absolutely pathetic. It really is.

I know what you're talking about re: Bill Maher and that's one of the worst things he's said. He takes a limo from his gated mansion in the Hollywood Hills down to his studio and is paid millions. But yes, please tell middle class Americans you want them to lose their savings, etc. so Trump won't be re-elected. Also, yeah please lecture us on who to vote for.

FWIW I don't think this will have any effect on Trump's re-election. A toddler could ascertain that this market drop isn't his fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies