Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 02:14 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
Servant, related to this is “Trickle - Down.” Yes, 2/3 of GDP is consumer spending. To stimulate the economy, give tax cuts mainly to middle and lower income earners as they will spend most or all of it. Instead, Trump, P.Ryan etc. gave most of the tax cuts to high earners who will NOT spend most or all of it - they’ll simply put most of it in the bank which does nothing for the economy.

So, I propose that when we’re in the next recession, let’s have “Trickle Up” tax cuts. Give most of the tax cuts to low, middle earners, they’ll spend the $cuts, and that spending will Trickle Up to companies, who will make money and invest some of it.

Problem Solved!

That is absolutely the truth! Money in the hands of middle and lower class people get spent....and then some. However, there is a big hole in the stimulus bucket in the form of the trade deficit. Creating more DEBT and putting it in the hands of consumers to spend more would be great if they were buying American produced goods. However, the trade deficit is such that much of what we consume is produced in other nations. Thus, a good part of our debt and stimulus actually leaks out to other countries in the form of increased revenue, which creates more production and opportunity in other nations. Look at how China is and has grown. We buy so many Chinese made goods if we keep increasing the debt to spend....China will be a bigger benefactor and we will just go deeper in debt while they control the dollar.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 10-19-2018 at 02:22 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 02:24 PM

1,070 posts, read 393,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
It's fine to say that kids should take personal responsibility but that's not how the system works in the US. Kids default on student loans, people default on mortgages, TARP money is given to banks who caused the housing crisis and who is left holding the bag -- the tax payers.

If you want to drive changes in behavior, you have to change the financial incentive. As it stands now, colleges have no financial incentive to change the way they do business; some become diploma mills; some focus on grants to fund research.
Not sure how you would like to “change colleges’ behavior....” Because kids graduating can’t find good jobs ain’t the colleges’ fault!

I was just about to say that college professors’ salaries are going thru the roof......and then In googled it - they’re not: https://trends.collegeboard.org/coll...ctor-over-time

So, now I’m confused - why are tuitions going thru the roof? I dunno...

Just a thought: tuitions are rising because more and more kids are going to college - the ole supply and demand thing. Maybe there simply aren’t enuff good jobs for graduates. Maybe too many people are going to college.

My head hurts...

Old 10-19-2018, 02:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes. The rise of interest rates have historically slowed down the economy and one could argue have even triggered recessions. Interest rates were lowered to increase the money supply via making it easier to borrow money. More money in the economy means more spending and 2/3 of GDP is consumer consumption. Therefore, it only logically follows that rising interest rates will have the reverse impact. Regardless, there seems to be a cycle of recessions about every 7 years or so, which means we are overdue. The problem is that we still are still pretty much pressing all the way down on the accelerator to get to the speed we are at now. If the next recession hits hard......what will they do....pay people to borrow money? When you get high off a drug, like debt, you need more and more to maintain the same high. The next recession will be very interesting in that there is not much else that can be done short of giving money away in the hopes that people will spend it and stimulate the economy again.....and we know what that will do in regards to the dollar and inflation.
Don't disagree with that assessment.

Ken

Old 10-19-2018, 02:32 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The fact that you failed to read the entire post means that you are willfully seeking to operate and opine from a state of ignorance. Hence, you would not even have had to make your defense of the white vote, because I already covered that.
Yes, I want to be ignorant of all bigots and racist conversations in this forum. That's why I seldom comment or get involved in all the race related threads. Of which there are far to many and the racist wants to intrude in threads with the same old crap ideas in areas where they have no standing, IMO.
They are boring and not my thing. The victimology is worn out. Its a waist of time trying to convince me to join the weak minded self-loathing crowd of idiots.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Truly shocking that it has nothing to do with Trump when so many blame him for everything including the personal decisions they make .

How can he be blamed for everything and get credit for nothing ?

The world economy ? What do the worlds leftist have to say about it ? See the links provided.

In 2017, global economic growth reached 3 per cent—the highest growth rate since 2011—and growth is expected to remain steady for the coming year.
Who was President in 2017 ? If it happened on his watch he gets credit for it. Just as Obama would in 2011.

https://www.un.org/development/desa/...Full_Web-1.pdf

https://www.un.org/development/desa/...lobal_PR_E.pdf

https://www.un.org/development/desa/...2018_es_en.pdf
We seemed to have all agreed that 2017 was Obama’s economy and 2018 is Trump’s. (2009 was W’s)

Or do you wanna tell us that Obama caused the 2008 bank collapse because banks knew he would become Pres and they knew they could get TARP thru him?!

Old 10-19-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
We seemed to have all agreed that 2017 was Obama’s economy and 2018 is Trump’s. (2009 was W’s)

Or do you wanna tell us that Obama caused the 2008 bank collapse because banks knew he would become Pres and they knew they could get TARP thru him?!
I don't know if I'd go that far but they knew he was running. Was an idiot that didn't know squat about an economy or business. Something he proved for 8 years with free money, close to zero interest rates, and no help for a middleclass that saw it shrink from the largest class. Obama was and is a POS with a legacy of corruption. That's my opinion and nothing will ever change it having experienced his BS first hand. I suppose he left his boots behind to the pleasure of those who continue to lick them.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:53 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
I don't know if I'd go that far but they knew he was running. Was an idiot that didn't know squat about an economy or business. Something he proved for 8 years with free money, close to zero interest rates, and no help for a middleclass that saw it shrink from the largest class. Obama was and is a POS with a legacy of corruption. That's my opinion and nothing will ever change it having experienced his BS first hand.
Why try to look at facts when we can just have an "opinion" lmao

Old 10-19-2018, 02:58 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
I don't know if I'd go that far but they knew he was running. Was an idiot that didn't know squat about an economy or business. Something he proved for 8 years with free money, close to zero interest rates, and no help for a middleclass that saw it shrink from the largest class. Obama was and is a POS with a legacy of corruption. That's my opinion and nothing will ever change it having experienced his BS first hand.
Looks like you and Trump get information from the same source.

Your problems are you do not know the job of the FED.

No corruption or special councils needed for 8 years.

Trump will never be able to say that.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Why try to look at facts when we can just have an "opinion" lmao

When Obama supporters are still here liking his boots treating their opinion as fact what's left to discuss with them? Its politics. Its not about changing anyone's mind. The closer we get to the election the higher the fervor gets to criticize everything Trump and his handling of the economy. He has less control of it than the Fed does, as we have seen. The Fed gets mentioned but Trump is the conversation. The haters are going to hate.

There are all the issue questions but its under the broader umbrella of overall goals. Obama wanted to transfer and distribute existing wealth. Trump's goal is much different. He wants to create wealth and greater prosperity for everyone. Trump's goal is the more difficult task.

Last edited by phma; 10-19-2018 at 03:20 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I don't know if I'd go that far but they knew he was running. Was an idiot that didn't know squat about an economy or business. Something he proved for 8 years with free money, close to zero interest rates, and no help for a middleclass that saw it shrink from the largest class. Obama was and is a POS with a legacy of corruption. That's my opinion and nothing will ever change it having experienced his BS first hand. I suppose he left his boots behind to the pleasure of those who continue to lick them.
Still haven’t passed that Reading Comprehension class, have ya phma? I can tell because you haven’t sent me your diploma.

I ain’t trying to change your opinion! I learned a long time ago, being in sales, that I can’t sell something to someone who can’t understand..... or read.

Speaking of Reading Comprehension, didn’t you read that it was that brilliant financial genius W. who decided that we didn’t need banking regulations because, I guess, “bankers are smart people.”

I have another request for ya phma: pass a logic test and I’ll pay for it! So, “banks knew that Obama was running so they issued junk mortgages” - is this your logic phma?!

Actually, I have a 3rd offer for you! Pass a interest rate short-course and I’ll pay for it! Here’s a condensed version:

The Fed lowers rates and keeps them low in order to make borrowing $easier. Which is what the Fed did under Obama. And, you’re forgetting: it’s the Fed who is in charge of rates, not Obama or F’ing Moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies