Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support spending $18 billion for the first phase of the US/Mexico border wall?
Yes 40 32.26%
No 81 65.32%
Not sure 3 2.42%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 07:31 AM

62,998 posts, read 29,187,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
When the wall is finally done, don't you have to start building it again? The upkeep alone will be insane. (And it won't even work. LOL.)

What a moron Trump is.

Put the beer down and do some research.

No, the morons are the ones who refuse to acknowledge the facts of the good walls and how well they work and those who try to claim that the costs outweigh the benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 07:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,690,507 times
I have to laugh - about everything - or I will cry......

Trump said, unlike former POTUS, he wasn't going to give away the secrets early. After all, if you tell people you are going to build a wall in 10 years (never happen), what are they going to do? My bet is anyone with an 70+ IQ will say "well, I'm going next year (or the year after or the one after that). In fact, during construction may be the best time yet.

Mexico is gonna pay, right? He promised. I mean, he promised over and over and over and made the audience shout along with him. It can't be any other way.

Of course, a Wall is not going to serve any purpose - other than the small portions which we have already planned and funded anyway. But that doesn't matter. Not much matters to Trump. Why I've heard airplanes can actually fly over the way.

A 2,000 year old Roman catapult could easily deliver a person (with some foam or airbag protection). I see a new business opportunity. In 10 years we'll have the video and die laughing.

Of course we need some relatively decent security in this country! Comprehensive reform is the best way - including both the employers, existing (honorable) immigrants, guest workers (Trump has no problem letting 100K of them in or more every year)....

But this Wall has become the Joke of the Day. Now it goes on for a decade or more. I'm fairly certain that the forgotten man and woman will be either dead or further mired in poverty by then, especially given Trumps removal of health care from so many.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Anybody with boating experience KNOWS that when the boat is leaking you STOP the leak FIRST BEFORE trying to bail your way out of trouble.

Any other idea is just idiocy.

By the way companies ARE being going after.

I am for e-verify but, am also aware that people can scam ANY SYSTEM

Look at how many illegals have fake Social Security cards.

E-verify is NOT the TOTAL answer.

Stop them BEFORE they get here makes the job much easier.

Exactly! You're one of the few who get it. It's much better to deter them at the border than to allow them to get in here where they are much harder to weed out and more expensive to do so.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:38 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,889,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I have to laugh - about everything - or I will cry......

Trump said, unlike former POTUS, he wasn't going to give away the secrets early. After all, if you tell people you are going to build a wall in 10 years (never happen), what are they going to do? My bet is anyone with an 70+ IQ will say "well, I'm going next year (or the year after or the one after that). In fact, during construction may be the best time yet.

Mexico is gonna pay, right? He promised. I mean, he promised over and over and over and made the audience shout along with him. It can't be any other way.

Of course, a Wall is not going to serve any purpose - other than the small portions which we have already planned and funded anyway. But that doesn't matter. Not much matters to Trump. Why I've heard airplanes can actually fly over the way.

A 2,000 year old Roman catapult could easily deliver a person (with some foam or airbag protection). I see a new business opportunity. In 10 years we'll have the video and die laughing.

Of course we need some relatively decent security in this country! Comprehensive reform is the best way - including both the employers, existing (honorable) immigrants, guest workers (Trump has no problem letting 100K of them in or more every year)....

But this Wall has become the Joke of the Day. Now it goes on for a decade or more. I'm fairly certain that the forgotten man and woman will be either dead or further mired in poverty by then, especially given Trumps removal of health care from so many.
Yes a lot of hollow promises. Just like many who came before him.
The one before him said No head of line pass for those here illegally. They will have to do it the same way as legals. Nah he changed his mind on that.
He said buy good health insurance for about what you pay for a cellphone bill. LOL What kind of cellphone bill costs that much?
Trump and Hillary. 2 scumbags cut from the same patch. We got stuck with 1 of them.

57,335 posts, read 26,255,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Did he promise that Mexico would pay for it directly, by writing a check?

Or did he say that they would pay indirectly, through tariffs, taxes on phone calls between the two countries, etc.

I think you know the answer.
I don't recall him clarifying how Mexico would pay, so we can expect increased tariffs in place as part of this budget bill January 19. So tell me what products are they going to tax coming from Mexico, Tequila?
What if Mexico retaliates with their own tariffs that punish US exports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I disagree about making crossings easier. It would create choke points making it easier to watch.
I disagree with spending billions on a wall. Make E-verify the law of the land and enforce it with penalties with real teeth.

Perhaps you should read the other posts in here including mine how the good walls do work and that e-verify although would be helpful, cannot be the solution all on it's own.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,178,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
When the wall is finally done, don't you have to start building it again? The upkeep alone will be insane. (And it won't even work. LOL.)

What a moron Trump is.

Put the beer down and do some research.
Did you hear the moronic comments about forcing illegals to build the wall for cheap, after they complain about cheap labor preventing American workers from finding work to being with? You really can't make this stuff up.

And, of course, they'd kick them out after they build it.

But then have to pay even more out the arse to pay for new, American labor (that won't be cheap, no one would do that kind of work for a cheap, non-livable wage), training, housing/relocation and medical expenses when, not if, employees got injured, security, etc., on top of the maintenance.

Then corporations will probably just find alternate ways to get cheap labor.

You can tell Trump supporters never think anything out.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times
Hold on a second. This $18B is to create only 316 miles of new wall......

Didn't Trump say the entire wall (2000 miles) would cost $10 billion (and Mexico would pay for it).

We are looking at 56 million per mile, or $113billion for the whole thing, and I assume these 316 miles are easy ground. The more expensive parts will cost a lot more. This is more than 10 times the cost Trump estimated...

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-06-2018 at 07:47 AM..

Old 01-06-2018, 07:42 AM

57,335 posts, read 26,255,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It does seem odd that President Trump has dropped the 'Mexico will pay for it' jazz, and his supporters act like he never made such a core of his campaign.

Regardless, such a proceeding will face tough opposition in the Senate, where the Republicans enjoy a slim 51-49 majority. Don't be too surprised if the Texas junior Senator, a Canadian by name of Ted Cruz, votes against it. Those Texas ranchers are not for such a taking of their land along the border, and Mr. Cruz is up for re-election.

As I have noted, Senator Cruz did not fare that well in the Republican Texas Presidential primary. Yes, he won, but he fell rather short of the 50 percent mark (if he had obtained 50 percent, he would have collected all of the delegate votes), which is rather shabby for a "favorite son" (or, here, "Favorite Canadian").
A key trait to be a Trump supporter is to have a very short memory.

I do see a government shutdown on the horizon, less than 2 weeks.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I disagree about making crossings easier. It would create choke points making it easier to watch.
Think about it. Walking on the ground makes you visible, but taking a tunnel, you will be completely invisible. If the Palestinians dug 2000 tunnels under a very short wall, just imagine how many there will be going under a 2000 mile wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies