Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 06:18 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

why shoud i care what party YOU want to join? pick one you like and join it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 06:20 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Which third party should I join?"

NONE.

It is a wasted vote.
Oh cool a cliche. So politicians don't notice when voter turnout is low because there isnt a viable candidate?

Old 01-08-2018, 06:25 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
A few weeks ago I posted about how I was a lifelong Republican who will never vote Republican again because they doubled the child tax credit from $1000 to $2000. They couldn't have done anything worse. I know I'm the only one who cares about this issue. I'm fine with that..I could write 10 paragraphs on why I am against it instead I would like some advice on who to vote for next because it sure as hell won't be Republican!

I know voting third party is throwing away your vote. I don't care...the two major parties disgust me. The only two 3rd parties I know of are the Libertarian and Green parties. Being that I'm a right winger the Green party is out of the question. Libertarians appeal to me on economics and some social issues. Ths problem is Libertarians are pro-drug and that is not OK with me. Are there any other right leaning third parties?
Vote your conscience based on the issues, and trust yourself. Best of luck, Jay.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:26 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Have a feeling the Constitution Party would appeal to you. It's one the three largest third parties, the Green and Libertarian parties being the other two.

I'm an independent and 2016 was the last time voting Republican for me. I swore off the Democrat Party a couple decades ago. Unfortunately, there isn't a viable third party in my view.

Here's a list of political parties: Politics1 - Director of U.S. Political Parties
I was going to say the same thing. Heard about this group quite a bit lately. I am assuming the main focus is on smaller federal government and less regulation. But a true Constitutionalist might be okay with no drugs law, so you might have to look into that part.

But the Libertarian and Green parties have at least put up some people in powerful offices, I don't think the Constitution Party has. So it is even further behind then the main stream 3rd parties. So you might have a real uphill battle if you go that route.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:31 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
A few weeks ago I posted about how I was a lifelong Republican who will never vote Republican again because they doubled the child tax credit from $1000 to $2000. They couldn't have done anything worse. I know I'm the only one who cares about this issue. I'm fine with that..I could write 10 paragraphs on why I am against it instead I would like some advice on who to vote for next because it sure as hell won't be Republican!

I know voting third party is throwing away your vote. I don't care...the two major parties disgust me. The only two 3rd parties I know of are the Libertarian and Green parties. Being that I'm a right winger the Green party is out of the question. Libertarians appeal to me on economics and some social issues. Ths problem is Libertarians are pro-drug and that is not OK with me. Are there any other right leaning third parties?
None, change to independent. That way you will not be inundated with funding requests.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:33 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:

Or you could not vote.

Imagine if no one voted. What would "govt" do then?

Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
It would be far easier to change the existing parties from within than to create another party. Read up on ballot access.

The Libertarians have done a great job of getting on ballots, but they could not govern if elected.

The Greens are catching up with them, but in many jurisdictions are funded by Conservatives in order to split the Democratic vote.

Look at how the Tea Party took over the Republicans party in just a few years. All it took was Koch money and a few retired politicians who knew how to organize. Didn't take much to scare the bejeezus out of elected Republicans.

The handwriting was on the wall the day the Clintons started the Democratic Leadership conference. The Dems were after corporate America.

I'm waiting on BlacPac to get itself together and takeover the democratic party.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:48 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Or you could not vote.

Imagine if no one voted. What would "govt" do then?
The same bureaucrats and staffers who do the governing now. And have been for years. Politicians don't do it.

At least half their time is spent on raising money to run again and fund their campaign staffs. They no longer monitor the departments they fund.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:16 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It would be far easier to change the existing parties from within than to create another party. Read up on ballot access.

The Libertarians have done a great job of getting on ballots, but they could not govern if elected.

The Greens are catching up with them, but in many jurisdictions are funded by Conservatives in order to split the Democratic vote.

Look at how the Tea Party took over the Republicans party in just a few years. All it took was Koch money and a few retired politicians who knew how to organize. Didn't take much to scare the bejeezus out of elected Republicans.

The handwriting was on the wall the day the Clintons started the Democratic Leadership conference. The Dems were after corporate America.

I'm waiting on BlacPac to get itself together and takeover the democratic party.
Well...that's the point. Reduce control over people's lives, rather than ruling over them.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:

There's the Constitution Party. They're right wing and religious.

Then there's the Reform Party, founded by Ross Perot, which nominated Trump for president in 2000.

Dunno how actually 'together' either of these organizations are. I know the Reform Party has had internal issues, and they seem to me to be slowly disappearing, but, I can't say that I actually know much about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies