Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Hillary Clinton won nearly every large metro area in the country.

Democrats consistently get more votes than Republicans for Congressional representatives, but most districts are highly gerrymandered in favor of Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 12:03 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The university that I work for is specifically trying to get STEM majors more composition classes because they suck at writing - - and that comes from the STEM professors themselves.
That's why I like a mixture of STEM, business, and liberal arts.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Why can’t people simply ACCEPT those whose beliefs, interests and lifestyles differ from there own? I have zero interest in guns, hunting, NASCAR, church, big ass pick up trucks or rap music. Does not mean I can’t have friends who live for those things. Live and let live. Why is that so hard?
It really isn't that hard. I grew up in a very Republican part of Pennsylvania. Guns, hunting, NASCAR, and big ass pick up trucks were certainly popular where I came from, and I had no interest in any of that. Still, fifty percent of my friends were Republicans.

As long as you aren't some racist/sexist/homophobic troglodyte, I can get along with you. I have enough non-partisan interests (sports, music, exercise, poker, beer, movies, television, etc) that I can hang out with someone who doesn't have my political leanings.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:09 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That's why I like a mixture of STEM, business, and liberal arts.
Me too. My favorite students are the ones who have a nice balance of interests and disciplines in their lives.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:28 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Hillary Clinton won nearly every large metro area in the country.

Democrats consistently get more votes than Republicans for Congressional representatives, but most districts are highly gerrymandered in favor of Republicans.
Bingo.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:33 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
nah! I just love watching elitist liberals go berserk
Trumpist policy in a nutshell

Old 01-09-2018, 01:41 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Not at all. It's a not so subtle way of saying that STEM graduates are generally smarter than liberal arts and social science graduates.
Lol....

The average garbage man is generally smarter than liberal arts and social science graduates.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
This article is a year old but it sums up how elitist white liberals look at middle America and pretty much at anyone who is not like them and that did not vote their way. I love especially in the article that it states that white liberals are just so annoyed that people are not jealous of their lifestyle and that there are people that do not want to be like them. I am one of those middle class people who do not have the time for such elitist arrogance and could less what they do. I do enjoy watching them implode on themselves though.

https://nypost.com/2017/01/11/why-li...iddle-america/
Maybe the author should meet some white liberals instead of basing her assumptions on what she sees at awards shows.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:05 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Is this your subtle way of implying that STEM professionals cannot be liberal in their politics?
Avondalist should meet my family. Lots of STEM professionals, and all liberal to some degree.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:41 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Why can’t people simply ACCEPT those whose beliefs, interests and lifestyles differ from there own? I have zero interest in guns, hunting, NASCAR, church, big ass pick up trucks or rap music. Does not mean I can’t have friends who live for those things. Live and let live. Why is that so hard?
It's not hard at all.

Live and let live I say.

Problem is a lot of folks don't agree and wish to not only look down on people who like guns, hunting, NASCAR, church, big ass trucks or Rap music.... but to set policy and pass laws that dictate how they should live their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies