Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:00 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times

Advertisements

California will be a wasted landscape by 2040, not much unlike inner city Detroit. I have my doubts it will be part of the United States by then. Gas vehicles will be the least of the state's problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 03:05 PM

342 posts, read 318,736 times
They better find a way to pay for roads.

Also would the ban apply to out of state travelers who want to visit the state, but don’t own an electric car?

Old 01-09-2018, 03:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
Pay attention folks : ban "registration for new vehicles". Of course, that is from an article on the web - so who knows what the proposed law actually says.

This would be in line with legislation passed (not just proposed, but already law) in many other countries.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
The commies that run this place are of course, like all commies, economic illiterates.

Banning stuff is basically the commie way. That and stealing from and oppressing your fellow man. They seem to be covering all the major tenets here in CA

I hope if that midget retard Kim Jong Un actually does flip a nuke at the US that it lands on the commie epicenter (SF, Beserkeley, or Sacramento).

Old 01-09-2018, 04:10 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's what people used to say about AZ. Then, so many people went solar, that the state utilities lost so much revenue, they pressured the state to end incentives for solar energy conversion. That brought the sudden growth spurt in solar energy investment to a crashing halt.
it only shows that solar can provide the needed power in the future.

power plants need to recover its costs whether you use it or not. I think that's part of the deal on any power plants being put up.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:20 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
it only shows that solar can provide the needed power in the future.

power plants need to recover its costs whether you use it or not. I think that's part of the deal on any power plants being put up.
Exactly. It means this issue needs to be addressed and dealt with, somehow. That has yet to be achieved in the American context. It's another stumbling block that needs to be overcome.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:27 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
The commies that run this place are of course, like all commies, economic illiterates.

Banning stuff is basically the commie way. That and stealing from and oppressing your fellow man. They seem to be covering all the major tenets here in CA

I hope if that midget retard Kim Jong Un actually does flip a nuke at the US that it lands on the commie epicenter (SF, Beserkeley, or Sacramento).
You mean like banning marijuana just 100 years back after it was legal and harmless since the dawn of time? ... oh wait, the "lefties" didn't do that. Neither did they rip apart the world economy back in 2006/7 ... nor pass the latest transference of wealth from the 99% to the 1% in the tax bill ... etc.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yeah, I saw this on the news the other night. Brown's been pushing that for a number of years. I think it will happen, eventually. We're heading into a new way of life. Just look at all the things that have "gone away."

Landline telephones are almost extinct now.

Maps. Who needs them everyone has gps or google maps on their phones?

Camera film. It's still around but a smaller population uses it.

Pay phones. They used to be on just about every street corner yet I can't remember the last time I saw one. Except for maybe on an episode of Person Of Interest.

The VCR. Which reminds me, I have to have all those recordings of family events transferred over to DVD.

The saddest one is books. Although they are still popular to many of us, I can see a future without them.

And newspapers. Those are dwindling down, too. I mean what will we do when there are no more newspapers? What will we use to line the bottom of the bird cage?

So yeah, it makes sense that combustible engines will be gone, too. I wouldn't mind having an electric car but I wonder how much it will cost to keep it charged? It already costs an arm to run a total electric house.
Thiat is a good example of how it should work. No one banned land lines, maps. film, pay phones or VCR's.

Would non gas/diesels engines being gone be good for the environment? Probably so, but think of the jobs lost for mechanics, engine builders, gas stations, parts businesses and such. It would be a huge hit if the market was not ready. Then a multi billion dollar industry would be very badly damaged, antique and older cars that people enjoy owning, fixing up and driving minimally. The link says they won't be licensed.

Yes electric charging stations could be there, but the time it takes to charge right now, plus the low miles you can drive, makes it ridiculous to consider. I would rather see the Gov't be active in helping develop the best way to do it. We are talking maybe 22 years. OK, now many people will be able to buy an electric car then? How many will have hybrids and can't afford the cost of a new all electric car, or those who are poor and can't afford anything like that? It is another law that harms the poor the most, the middle class quite a bit and has no impact on the rich. It also does nothing helpful to solve the various issues, it just says do it or else. That never works out very well.

Oh well maybe before then intelligent politicians will be elected and they will help make it work.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:05 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
This is one of the reasons I am retiring outside of CA. I don't mind emissions testing, but then they force you to keep the emission equipment stock with a visual test. The reference material the state provides to the testing facilities has errors. Who cares what the engine looks like as long as the car passes the sniff test? Now they want to get rid of combustion engines completely.

They don't care about the car enthusiasts. I'm not going to be forced into soulless, underwhelming hybrids with whining, straining powerplants. I rode in a Prius up to Mammoth Lakes and it was an assault on the senses.

And there's not enough infrastructure to keep electrics going for long trips (I'm talking thousand mile plus trips). No thank you.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Can you imagine how great it would be to ban CARB. (Efficient AND environmentally sound too!)

We could meet CARB 20 yr objectives tomorrow (for free)
1) conservation
2) close all drive-up windows in CA (the weather is usually great... why not ‘walk-in’?
3) add a $$30,000 - $100k ‘registration’ fee for each motor vehicle. (Like some countries do)
4) cap the millions #/ day of spent jetA in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies