Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:15 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,386,058 times

Advertisements

I thought some states were already doing this. Maybe I am thinking of food stamps.

I think they exempted people over fifty for the work requirements. I can see the difference between a healthy 25 year old not looking for work and a 55 year old starting to have medical issues who got laid off. It is more important that young person get motivated because they have a lot of years of work life to go. The older person does not and faces serious challenges if they get laid off.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:22 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,478,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.5b21da4625db

Hope all those old and disabled Fox News viewers who voted for him are ready to work for the meds that keep them alive. THIS is what they voted for - having to work for Medicaid benefits.

And who decides who is able bodied? I feel bad for the elderly who did not vote for Trump but zero mercy for the ones who did.
MEDICARE is for the elderly duh. This is for able bodied people pre-retirement age.
#fakenews

Old 01-11-2018, 01:23 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,478,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I have met Tea Party types that have said people with disabilities could still be made to work a desk job. These are the types pushing these changes.
Many "disabled" people absolutely can work. I know a couple of people that get SSDI and they absolutely can work.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:26 PM

18,107 posts, read 27,595,743 times
Quote:

Hope all those old and disabled Fox News viewers who voted for him are ready to work for the meds that keep them alive. THIS is what they voted for - having to work for Medicaid benefits.

And who decides who is able bodied? I feel bad for the elderly who did not vote for Trump but zero mercy for the ones who did.
Work till you die if you can.

If not, I'm sure Medicaid will be available for many. But if you think Medicaid is reserved for a bunch of poor old people with dementia, wet macular degeneration, and chronic arthritis, you're smoking way too much crack.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,541,039 times
Quote:
It's how you define "able-bodied." I have several debilitating illnesses, and the government still says I am "able-bodied" and wanting to throw me off disability even though I'm in my 40s and no employer has ever thought I was able to work a job for them. I started job hunting when I was 16 and did the best I could with the worthless body the "infallible Creator" condemned me to live with.

Before I was approved for SSI I was considered able bodied by the government for food stamp purposes even though the only ones who thought I was able bodied were tea party Christian types who wanted to bash me. No employer ever wanted to keep me after seeing all my medical problems and a vocational expert said that the accommodations needed to make me employable would never be considered reasonable by an employer, yet the government insists I should "adapt" and work a job anyway. It's been proven no employer will ever hire and keep me. Only someone delusional would truly believe a job would magically appear for someone with my medical and employment history.

Those kicked off medicaid because they cannot find employment would include many people like me with extensive medical problems.
With all due respect, you are addressing Medicaid eligibility issues - that's neither what the article or my posts have been about. I'm not familiar with either the specifics of your disabilities or how Medicaid's requirements to receive disability affect you personally, so I can't respond to you on that topic. The current topic of discussion here is introducing new programs that will affect non-retired able-bodied recipients of Medicaid by compelling them to either work, attend approved educational programs, or volunteer for other programs. There are options that will be offered for people which I assume (because this is still in preliminary planning) will be based on their abilities.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM

3,367 posts, read 1,247,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
The elderly get Medicare.
Most nursing home residents are on Medicaid.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:39 PM

20,505 posts, read 12,443,857 times
Quote:
I have met Tea Party types that have said people with disabilities could still be made to work a desk job. These are the types pushing these changes.
"I have met Tea Party types"

And you feel such a thing is a bases to suggest Trump wants the sick and disabled to get a job?
in the immortal words of some hollywierd knucklehead

COMEON MAN!

26,666 posts, read 28,871,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Most nursing home residents are on Medicaid.
I read a different article and I'm fairly sure that it said that people over age 65 are not affected. Also pregnant women and people fighting drug addiction issues.

Ironically, any people I've ever known who were on welfare and wanted to work, were afraid to work because they would lose their medicaid coverage. So if this program provides medicaid for people who start to go back to work, that would be a positive thing.

But I don't think taking medicaid away from non working people is a good idea. Everyone needs medical insurance. There should be other incentives to get people back to work, not taking health insurance away from them.

26,167 posts, read 22,339,785 times
Quote:

I think they should be working for Medicaid benefits if they are able-bodied. I know 2 right now that work for a place to live in trade, and are constantly in the emergency room even if they just sneeze! They pay nothing in our state for any visit, all free, much better than what a private insurance policy offers.

Elderly are not able-bodied, and that some people here don't understand this...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
OP, are you confusing Medicaid with Medicare, perhaps? The article specifically refers to Medicaid, not Medicare. It also states that the proposed changes are for able-bodied adults, and that they are seeking "community engagement", which means jobs, education, or volunteer work.

I know that none of this is as attention-grabbing as your thread title and post, but one is factual, and one is erroneous and sensational. You're either greatly mistaken, or dishonest. So which is it?
They usually only read the headlines. Actually, many don't know the difference between Medicaid and Medicare. We hear them wanting everyone on Medicare because they think that is free, like Medicaid (welfare).

Some older people get do get Medicaid if they have not worked or worked enough to get Medicare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The fact is this will hit a lot harder on the Democratic base that did not vote for him.
Yes, it will! Minorities are a very high number of the recipients of Medicaid. Illegal aliens also use Medicaid through a loophole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The good news:

"Such requirements are likely to be imposed in states carried by Trump. The Post reports that 10 states are already trying to get permission to impose them, almost all of them red states. This, among other things, leads Harold Pollack, a health-policy expert at the University of Chicago, to conclude that “Medicaid work requirements may hit Trump country hardest.”

There you go, red states. How do you like your president now?
Love my President, thank you for asking! I want the deadbeats getting free medical care to drag their butts out of bed and go to work rather than running the streets all night and sleeping until noon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Conservatives don't seem to grasp that we've moved past the 19th century.

Being an "able bodied adult" means very little with regards to finding a job.
Actually, in many areas of the country, that is exactly what it takes to find a job, able bodied. As we drive out and deport illegal aliens, jobs will be opening up, and there is already evidence of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Are you confusing that the largest portion of Medicaid goes to senior citizens in nursing homes?
Where I come from, 20% is not the largest portion, per this article: https://www.statnews.com/2017/05/22/...ing-breakdown/

"About 20 percent of Medicaid spending goes toward covering long-term care such as nursing homes. Most private health insurance doesn’t cover long-term care, meaning the elderly and disabled often have to pay out of pocket or rely on federal programs such as Medicaid to afford those services. Long-term care payments cover nursing homes, care facilities for individuals with intellectual disabilities, and home health care, among other services."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Even better.
He is giving the States what they want and he is helping to get these young welfare recipients back into the work force or at least in mainstream. Hope my state goes for it.
Sounds great to me! It is about darn time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
People in nursing homes are not able-bodied. The changes wouldn't apply.
Can you believe that someone actually had to tell them this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yup, & just to be clear about it, not everyone in a nursing home is elderly, but they, too, have to spend down before the Medicaid kicks in.
Not sure what that has to do with the topic, but they should have to spend down, or do you think the taxpayers should take care of the bill so the kids can inherit the money they have in the bank?

Quote:
Nope, read the article. It says Medicaid. All those AARP folks will turn on the GOP once they realize this.
Most AARP folks won't be on Medicaid. As 63 years old, I thrilled about this. Able-bodied doing nothing other than having babies, running the streets and doing drugs or eating themselves into a coma - get them a job!

Quote:
Yes, and many Trump voters have been at that low level for years. And now they deserve what is coming to them. I just fell really bad for the elderly who did not vote for him.
Seriously, the elderly won't be forced to work. Where on earth did you ever get that idea? Actually, many retired people do go back to work at least part-time. The problem is the younger deadbeats that want everything for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Um, do you mean Medicare? Usually Medicaid isn't for the elderly.
OP is confused and doesn't understand our system. Medicaid could be given to an elderly person, but the majority are on Medicare having WORKED and paid into it, rather than going for the freeride, the freeride Trump wants to get people off of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Democrats are against people working,even the able bodied.
Well, for them that makes sense. They offer a handout in exchange for loyalty to their party. It also locks that portion of our country into a vicious cycle where they can never get ahead. This is part of the reason many voted for Trump - hand up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Just what we need in the work force, people who don't want to be there. IMO this will stagnate wages even more.
I didn't want to be in the workforce, I was just bought up with a good work ethic.

Quote:
Read the thread. Many, many seniors depend on Medicaid as well.

There are 10 states already, most of them red, that are salivating to get started on this. And it's only fair that his cult should feel the full effects of the idiot they voted for. I hope they enjoy it.
Not many, some. And most are on Medicare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You can't just "check yourself into a nursing home" any more than you can just check yourself into a hospital. And assisted living is very expensive--so if they're in assisted living, they're paying through the nose.
No, you can't. I hope these people become better informed as time goes by and they become older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Medicaid is what the elderly use to help pay for a nursing home.
Not all. Many now are getting policies to cover this. Many elderly remain in their homes and don't go to nursing homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I don't want to be in the work force either but I got bills to pay, Obamacare Insurance going sky high and food to be bought.

When the Govt starts providing those items, the Bears lose all desire to feed themselves.
I know! I never thought of it as a "choice", but a necessity. I had someone tell me that once you get a taste of not having to work and have it all provided for you, it is impossible to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so seriously this thread should have been dead by the third post. instead we are 5 pages in and Progs are here defending the position that Trump is trying to get old people literally out of nursing homes to get there butts back to work
I know, you are so correct!

Quote:
There are also many who suffer from mental health issues and are not really employable either, but they are "able bodied."

And to you and all of them the GOP and Trump say, shut up, go away and die already. We don't believe you have any value to society so we don't care about you.

Of course, the GOP has been saying that for years now. It's only been the Democrats who have protected those who can't protect themselves through the years. But with the GOP in control of everything, we're seeing how heartless they truly are.

And the cult cheers...until they are the ones out in the cold. And that's coming...
Something needs to be done about some of those with mental health issues. They can't work because it gives them "anxiety". Work does that. They need to learn to deal with it. Mental illness is one thing, but "mental health issues" is out of control. "Able-bodied" does include one's head, right?

I think you'll find the majority will support this. Another SCORE for Trump! Trump listens to what the people want!

Old 01-11-2018, 01:40 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,661,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The fact is this will hit a lot harder on the Democratic base that did not vote for him.
you guys keep thinking that way. ie you are taking solace from the belief that what is going to hurt your side might kill the other.

dems will gain lots of votes and rs will lose even more... great fun watching the GOP implode, they got power and don't know what to do with it. this is what happens when you vote for shouty angry poeple instead of sharp policy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies