Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:02 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,598,942 times

Advertisements

As the title states...conservatives, what's your opinion on solar and wind energy? Are you ok with it? are you against is? Is it hippie hog-wash? Are you against the tax incentives? Are nuclear energy, coal and oil working so why fix it if it's not broke?

Some conservatives seem to be for renewables while others are against. What's your opinion on renewables and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 11:22 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,159,841 times
I'm fine with them as long as I'm not forced to subsidize them through taxes. If those technologies prevail through the free market, I see no reason to stop them.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,954,004 times
renewable energy is a mixed bag. solar for instance is in its infancy but growing as research continues. and results are promising. wind power is pretty much at its peak at this point, but there is still some promise for wind depending on what technologies are on the horizon.

renewable fuels are also good things, ethanol which many dont like, but many do, can be made from a number of sources, not just corn.

overall i like renewable energy sources, but it will take time to develop the infrastructure to use them. remember we didnt get where we are with petroleum overnight, it took more than one hundred years to get where we are now.

at some point though we are going to have to get serious about developing the renewable energy sources, and the infrastructure necessary to use those sources. depending on which "expert" you listen to, we will hit peak oil in the next 50 years or so, and the end of cheap oil in the next 100-130 years.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,954,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I'm fine with them as long as I'm not forced to subsidize them through taxes. If those technologies prevail through the free market, I see no reason to stop them.
i do agree with this. any solution to our energy issues has to come from the free markets, not the government.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 AM

30,775 posts, read 19,433,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
As the title states...conservatives, what's your opinion on solar and wind energy? Are you ok with it? are you against is? Is it hippie hog-wash? Are you against the tax incentives? Are nuclear energy, coal and oil working so why fix it if it's not broke?

Some conservatives seem to be for renewables while others are against. What's your opinion on renewables and why?
Highly supportive. Because:
1) There is a possibility the Global Warming alarmists are correct and that continued Global Warming is not supportive of improvement of the planet.
2) Non renewable energy sources will eventually run out.
3) Renewable power puts pressure to lower oil and gas prices

Old 01-13-2018, 12:45 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,516,730 times
Quote:

Nuclear as it currently is... meh. Not fond of a high temperature high pressure system which can lead to meltdown/explosion.
Intrigued with molten salt reactors. Low pressure high temperature and using thorium over uranium.

Solar, not for the tax incentive as the incentive benefits the end user. If you have a few panels you benefit. The electric company cuts you a check for what you produce that they use from you. Should it be subsidized? It's not 100% What one person may get for sun, another person may not. Cloud coverage etc.

Wind? Not exactly for it when you consider the cost for what they produce. If you get a steady wind current off of a coast, great. If not Yay for the whirley gig lawn ornament. Get too much wind and you could have a potential issue.

Coal is abundant I say with the particulate filters being used and for the BTU rating it's worth it.

Oil. Cheaper to refine and you can get more than just 1 product out of it.

Ethanol. I am a fan of ethanol and methanol. Higher octane rating than pump gas. More power with proper tuning. More consumption but is dramatically offset with it being currently at 1.92 per gallon...
(Used to build and race stock cars in NY. Played with my 14 Silverado and am impressed with E85 gains vs 93 octane)

Diesel. I love diesels. Cut the emissions crap off and they are damn near invincible.
I like the idea on older mechanical injected systems or hueI injection systems that I can mix up waste engine oil with a little kerosene and run it, waste vegetable oil filtered of particles and glycerine, and transmission fluid cut with kerosene and have fuel from just about anything ranging from bacon grease to old engine oil.
(Should the apocalypse ever occur an Air starter on an old deuce and a half with a tank full of whatever is remotely volatile is what I'll be cruising around in soy bean oil, peanut oil, olive oil, old engine oil transmission fluid you name it.)

Hybrids and electric? For short distance maybe.

Where electric shines is in a boat.
Compare the rate of gasoline consumption compared to battery life in say a 20ft jet prop compared to a 20 ft gas jet prop.
Forget a regular outboard... more mechanical loss through the out drive than a jet.
The cost with recycling a lithium ion battery negates doing it.
Plus they're very harmful should they become compromised with the gases released from combustion.

Natural gas combustion engines burn clean. But requires far more fuel to do the same work as say gasoline. Is there any savings with LNG or LPG? Depends.

I wouldn't oppose harvesting hydrogen gas from water via solar. The idea of the only byproduct from combustion being water vapor and removing the need of rare earth metals to construct catalytic converters freeing up power and saving precious metals is killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
I don't care about fuel economy. I care about efficiency. In the sense of, how much more torque and Horsepower can I gain without suffering predet and damaging pistons.

Give me a fuel that with relatively low modifications can yield big numbers on the dyno and fast times in the 1/4 mile, or can yield more towing/hauling capacity, I am all for it. Make it cheap to where it doesn't drain your wallet to inspire and encourage others to modify and do as they seek without restricting them to a weekend toy. I am all for it.
Would be interesting to see a fuel source that doesn't cost an awful lot to produce and throw down 400+hp with a simple cam swap and changing the ignition dwell.

(Second back up vehicle for the apocalypse would be powered by ethanol because it's not difficult nor expensive to brew your own fuel)

Old 01-13-2018, 12:48 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,438,211 times
Not a conservative but like any other product let the free market decide.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:50 AM

19,912 posts, read 22,856,932 times
Stop subsidizing coal and oil and see what we get.

Let the markets and demand push innovation.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:52 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,811,352 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbIe0iUtelQ

Old 01-13-2018, 06:55 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,759,436 times
Quote:

I love it! The more renewables go in the more fossil fuel plants I build!!!!! More money for me!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies