Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:07 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
This. Batteries have very toxic chemicals that can contaminate the land and water.
But fracking doesn't pose environmental problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 11:18 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
All the shreikers discounting electric power.., lol

You keep listening to your boy Trump tout the benefits of coal and I’ll keep investing in electric and solar. You dinosaurs should rely on coal, it lines up perfectly with your beliefs.

Meanwhile, I’ll be watching my portfolio.
Nothing wrong with electric when it gets to be efficient, and economical. Electric can't generate itself, and wind, and solar just won't do it. Also, Natural Gas, and Oil is so plentiful, we don't need coal anymore, but we can still export it. There is no reason not to continue to use our fossil fuels.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:18 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Sorry..with all due respect..are you drunk? Did you even read the article? I thinbk not..or you would have not posted this silliness.

1) The batteries DO exist..as this is the entire thrust of the article.
2) They are being charged by renewable energy sources..most notably the sun..again..as noted in the article.
3) Again, as noted in the article...over 50% of California's peak energy load...is being handled by these "batteries that don't exist"..lol.

Apparently the only predictable 'unavoidable reality' that I can see..is that people will comment..without actually reading the link in question.
Did YOU even read the article you posted? The batteries DON'T currently exist. There is a pipe dream that the Tesla car batteries can fill the bill.

Quote:
Batteries may be everywhere in today’s appliances, but the scale of electricity distribution on vast utility networks still makes using power storage costly. That’s changing with the development of bigger, more efficient units that can carry a charge longer, especially in the kinds of electric vehicles manufactured by the likes of Tesla Inc.

Since 2010, Bloomberg New Energy Finance data show, the price of lithium-ion battery packs have fallen 79 percent.

Storing “considerable amounts of electricity for future use,” Paul Patterson, a utilities analyst for Glenrock Associates, said, “has the potential to significantly alter the economics of the power sector.”
They are dreaming that the expensive batteries in EVs can be scaled up thousands (millions?) of times to provide the capacity to store meaningful amounts of grid power. But you are talking gigawatt-days of energy storage! That kind of capacity does not exist. I doubt that there is enough lithium in the world to provide battery backup even just for CA, let alone a global solution.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:24 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Did YOU even read the article you posted? The batteries DON'T currently exist. There is a pipe dream that the Tesla car batteries can fill the bill.

They are dreaming that the expensive batteries in EVs can be scaled up thousands (millions?) of times to provide the capacity to store meaningful amounts of grid power. But you are talking gigawatt-days of energy storage! That kind of capacity does not exist. I doubt that there is enough lithium in the world to provide battery backup even just for CA, let alone a global solution.
They will be relying on DiLithium crystals when we get to Rigel IV.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:31 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamebird98 View Post
don't batteries have a negative effect on the environment?
Not lithium to any serious extent. As a doc I prescribe oral lithium carbonate for bipolar. Way different than lead acid.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:33 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
What type of batteries? They never got into that in the article.

We only have a finite amount of exotic minerals on the planet, and materials like lithium are not practical to recyclable.

Let's say we were able to use lithium battery storage for the electric grid, it would significantly drive up costs for electricity. The USA has the wealth and power to do anything we set our minds to, but should our throw-away culture be plundering the planets resources yet again?
Lithium is hardly exotic and easily recycled. Much of our future is in battery tech, but distant and might not even be lithium based.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:56 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Lol..of course, as I'm sure you got from reading the article..err..you did did the article, right?---It is working..well...to the tune of approaching 50% of California's electric load..at peak demand. If you do not grasp the significance of this..not much I can say.
I don't have to read it to know that batteries no matter how big can not stand up to grid size power fluctuations. Drop a 1000 mw load swing on it (batteries) and their grid will collapse from undercurrent/underfreq trips. The thing the article does not tell you is that the CALISO grid is supported by two different generation resources, HYDRO electric and and a bit (@20%) of Palo Verde Nuclear. If their grid didn't have that rotating mass California would be in the dark..NO matter how much solar and wind the shove in....

Old 01-15-2018, 12:59 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Given that we are regularly seeing battery increases its certainly doable. And things like ARES are a low tech solution as well:
https://www.wired.com/2016/05/forget...ed-train-hill/

And tesla made a demo plant of 100mw for Austrailia. While its a tiny fraction of the power needed to run a country, scaled up it could certainly cover peak demand times, or low supply times.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
What is it with the Red State crab pot mentality? "California is trying to get ahead of the times - drag them back!"

Old 01-15-2018, 01:08 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
All the shreikers discounting electric power.., lol

You keep listening to your boy Trump tout the benefits of coal and I’ll keep investing in electric and solar. You dinosaurs should rely on coal, it lines up perfectly with your beliefs.

Meanwhile, I’ll be watching my portfolio.
Manufacturing and disposal of batteries is hugely detrimental to the environment. More so than fossil fuels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies