Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
What a twisted Joke...

Obama made sure people could eat and have somewhere to live, and pushed to force banking to help save peoples homes,
We have covered this many times. No he didn't.

The act’s emphasis on preserving homeownership was particularly vital to passage. Congress was told that TARP would be used to purchase up to $700 billion of mortgages, and, to obtain the necessary votes, Treasury promised that it would modify those mortgages to assist struggling homeowners. Indeed, the act expressly directs the department to do just that.

It's apparent that TARP's supposed goals of preserving home ownership and values were just lip serv
But it has done little to abide by this legislative bargain. Almost immediately, as permitted by the broad language of the act, Treasury’s plan for TARP shifted from the purchase of mortgages to the infusion of hundreds of billions of dollars into the nation’s largest financial institutions, a shift that came with the express promise that it would restore lending.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/op...0barofsky.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 12:43 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Lou Dobbs and Pat Buchanan both have good conservative credentials. Lou Dobbs had a prime time show. Pat Buchanan ran for President. Lou Dobbs is no longer a prime time anchor and Pat Buchanan was denounced as an extremist when he ran for President.

People who watch FOX news don't trust science. Scientists don't have an agenda. They only have evidence and proofs.

People who watch FOX news hate liberals but Medicaid a liberal program is a major way to get medical attention in primarily the red states.

People who watch FOX news fault the Federal Reserve for the Great Depression and the Great Recession but can't tell me why.

Why do you believe that the minimum wage shouldn't be raised even though it would only raise prices by 1.45%?
Why do you think that the recent tax cut is so great when it is only throwing you the crumbs for only eight years at that?

You don't support unions.
You vote for people who appoint judges who rule against working people.

Do you ever ask yourselves why your beliefs as a conservative are such a close match to what CEOs want?
Do you ever ask why?
Why don't you just tell us what "our conservatives views" are, or did your broad brush run out of paint?

Old 01-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
You're confusing science with liberal politics.

Scientists are focused on facts. Politicians are focused on solutions to problems.

In the case of Republicans, they reject scientific facts so they don't have to recognize problems at all, which absolves them of the responsibility of having to come up with solutions.

You may not like liberal solutions to these problems, but at least liberal politicians recognize scientific facts when they see them.
Every solution by liberals involves federal control, and increased taxpayer money. Just look at the ACA, it's nothing but taxes, punishments and control.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:50 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Every solution by liberals involves federal control, and increased taxpayer money. Just look at the ACA, it's nothing but taxes, punishments and control.
That was not brought to you by liberals but rather Corporatist Democrats.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
NOPE. Seems to me you are afraid to answer it.

why do you hate unions, when the unions are the reason employees don't work in clouds of chemical soup and don't lose hands etc....

I don't hate Unions, never did. Grew up in a Union family. I do think they are a bit over reaching at times though. I defend them most of the time. If it wasn't for Unions those that work non Union would not have the wage scale they have.

Why are you against public healthcare for all when it COSTS less (fact look it up) and provide you life long healthcare security and allows YOU to pick the level of coverage you want (look it up and learn)

Against public healthcare, no not really. Just am unsure of it. I've read many things on how great it is , and how bad it can be. I do think something needs to change with our current system though.

Why are GOP members much less likely to believe in science; ie flat earth, man caused climate change, evolution...

As far as science, I much rather side on the side of science than faith.

Why are conservatives in favor of the wealthy paying less taxes than any time in modern US history. we have been very successful for almost 100 years without dropping taxes for the rich to the lowest levels since the 1920s. the last time taxes for the rich were this low we had the great depression follow..

As far as the wealthy paying less taxes. I don't buy that, up to a point. The uber wealthy like Warren Buffet and other might be able to get a lower rate but that doesn't bother me.

Why do conservatives support "employment at will" it directly weakens the position of all employees, such that many are afraid to even use vacation...

I've worked as a contractor the majority of my career. So "at will" has been the norm for me. If you do your job and do it well , you really have nothing to worry about.

The OP is correct. Trumpism, GOP agenda is perfectly aligned with corporate desires. and works against everything the bottom 90% truly desires. ie secure jobs, secure healthcare secure retirement...
Secure jobs ? Both side of our wonderful government sold us down the river , many , many years ago by embracing Globalism. Something I've been against since the first time I've heard it.
Isn't secure retirement on the worker? Sure I would love to have worked 42 years at a Union job like my dad and have a great retirement but the reality is that won't happen. My retirement is what I can save, invest and combine with SS.

Answers in red.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 01-16-2018 at 01:18 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 12:59 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
You're confusing science with liberal politics.

Scientists are focused on facts. Politicians are focused on solutions to problems.

In the case of Republicans, they reject scientific facts so they don't have to recognize problems at all, which absolves them of the responsibility of having to come up with solutions.

You may not like liberal solutions to these problems, but at least liberal politicians recognize scientific facts when they see them.

Scientist get paid by politicians and Universities.......mostly Liberal ones.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Hamfisted federal solutions to problems are better than denying that there is a problem, or accepting that there's a problem and then ignoring it.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:12 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Scientist get paid by politicians and Universities.......mostly Liberal ones.
No, scientists are largely not "paid by politicians."

They are often paid by universities; universities only seem "liberal" because conservatives prefer to deny uncomfortable facts.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That was not brought to you by liberals but rather Corporatist Democrats.
Liberals want control over the people and industry, the ACA gave them that.

What is corporatist about that?

When insurance corporations drop out of the state exchanges, until many people only have one provider to choose from, how is that corporatist???

Old 01-16-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
No, scientists are largely not "paid by politicians."

They are often paid by universities; universities only seem "liberal" because conservatives prefer to deny uncomfortable facts.
Universities get billions from both federal and state government.

Government subsidies to private universities growing - SFGate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies