Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:22 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It doesn't matter who pays for it as our national and economic security depends on securing our southern border as much as we can and it will be well worth it. You people sure don't seem to care that illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year but balk at a wall that will cost us billions less? I've even provided links proving that the good walls do work. I'm done with you anti-wall people parroting the same old nonsense over and over in spite of the facts provided. Sure glad there is an ignore feature in this forum.
I respect your view point -- you don't care who pays for it.

My post didn't address at all whether or not the USA should spend the money on the wall.
My point was showing how Trump implies/states that by punishing Mexico with reducing trade will end up 'paying' for our wall.

It doesn't work that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 09:28 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I respect your view point -- you don't care who pays for it.

My post didn't address at all whether or not the USA should spend the money on the wall.
My point was showing how Trump implies/states that by punishing Mexico with reducing trade will end up 'paying' for our wall.

It doesn't work that way.
Who said anything about punishing Mexico. They are talking tariffs/taxes to help pay for the wall. The upside to an increase in the cost of foreign goods is that it will make American products more competitive, thus allowing us to circulate our dollars within in our country rather than shipping them out. This is how the economy worked when it was working.

They have also talked about putting a tax of sorts on the outgoing funds to Mexico, something done by some other countries. Over $26 billion dollars was sent to Mexico, thus Mexico wanting that border open to keep the cash flowing into the country from the US.

It is not unusual to have to pay a fee when you use a service, like the border, like a toll bridge, etc. that helps pay/support that activity.

I believe in enforcing the laws of our country. Just seeing what this open border/non-enforcement of immigration laws has done to our country more than supports the enforcement of those laws.

We should leverage on Mexico to take care of their own. Cut the funding we send into their country and put an embargo on them until they get serious about this issue. We don't need Mexico.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:56 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Seriously, I am not sure what your source is, but the "wall", and this has been said for over a year now, will be a combination of wall, fencing, natural barriers, electronic surveillance and increased manpower for border patrol. This has been said again and again.
No, Trump promised a big, beautiful wall across the border and Mexico will pay for it

Quote:
No one said we only needed 600 miles of wall. We need to secure the border. For some reason, I don't see any other way to explain to you the facts. Try "google".
The poster I was talking to said it was all we needed, and he said it because he thought it was never built. It was built, and didn't make any difference.

Try reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory
Congress already approved 700 miles of wall along the most porous areas of our border back in 2006 and that's all we need

Old 01-18-2018, 09:59 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Let's have a check the box on the tax return. If you support the wall you will pay an additional 5% of your gross income for building the wall. If you do not, you pay nothing.
I think it should be 20% then we would really see who supports the wall.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:16 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,361,409 times
Thinking a wall is the solution to immigration problems is pretty much like putting screen doors in submarines.

A wall stops nothing. It may slow an incursion down slightly and give response a little more time, that is all. The ability to detect incursions and respond with manpower is the only effective 'wall' there is. That means lots of personnel and equipment staged so they can get to any place on the border quickly. It also means a lot of detection equipment. All this means a lot of roads and infrastructure.

So unless you are willing to commit to all the above, all the expense not only to install but then to maintain infidelity, you are not really doing anything.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,796,708 times
The idea that a tariff will pay for the wall is sort of silly.

If we slap on tariffs on imports, Mexico will slap them on our exports. Which will mean that things like our subsidized corn will be more expensive and they will buy less of it. Either growing more corn themselves or buying it from some place else.

Tariff wars rarely work out well. It is highly doubtful it will raise the billions needed for this wall anyway.

Putting a tax on money leaving the country? Now, that's a great idea. Will that include the money being transferred to bank accounts in the Cayman Islands and elsewhere?

These are RW fantasies.

Trump has been in office for over a year and nary a word about tariffs or slapping a surcharge on money leaving the country.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:52 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Thinking a wall is the solution to immigration problems is pretty much like putting screen doors in submarines.

A wall stops nothing. It may slow an incursion down slightly and give response a little more time, that is all. The ability to detect incursions and respond with manpower is the only effective 'wall' there is. That means lots of personnel and equipment staged so they can get to any place on the border quickly. It also means a lot of detection equipment. All this means a lot of roads and infrastructure.

So unless you are willing to commit to all the above, all the expense not only to install but then to maintain infidelity, you are not really doing anything.

Ok, another one in denial even though I have proven with links that the good walls do work and have been very effective and are cost effective also. Off to my ignore list you go. Tired of discussing this people who just completely ignore facts.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:08 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
We should do this with all government spending. Then we can find out how much liberals really care about poor people.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:31 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post

That's fine just as long as you and yours have to pick up the $100 billion tab for illegal aliens annually.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,361,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Ok, another one in denial even though I have proven with links that the good walls do work and have been very effective and are cost effective also. Off to my ignore list you go. Tired of discussing this people who just completely ignore facts.
Glad to be on your ignore list. Tired of discussing with people that have no common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies