Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 12:38 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I want the individual who can actually perform the tasks of the job well. Many people test well but perform poorly.
Many more people test poorly and perform poorly.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Your friend is what is called an outlier. The "Talented tenth" of the third world population.

There are high IQ people in all groups. There are just less of them in those groups, so when the average IQ is a full SD or more below the American average, then you aren't going to find nearly as many high IQ individuals. That you happen to know one, is not proof dis-positive of this fact.
My post discussed his bar exam, not his IQ. You don’t know his IQ and neither do l.

In many 3rd world countries, education is very competitive and students tend to be more focused. Also the combination the British based system that many 3rd world nations have with the intelligence and drive of the students yields high performers. That is why often mediocre students in a 3rd world country can come to the U.S. and be good students.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:43 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
I want the individual who can actually perform the tasks of the job well. Many people test well but perform poorly.
You might find a person who scores 93 on IQ tests yet can perform all the tasks of a doctor or lawyer well, but you'd probably be a while looking.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You might find a person who scores 93 on IQ tests yet can perform all the tasks of a doctor or lawyer well, but you'd probably be a while looking.
Or maybe not...you really don’t know. Last time I checked IQs are not included in resumes and in other general information provided about an individual. That’s because they are not considered indicative of one’s abilities.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Many more people test poorly and perform poorly.
So like I said, I want the individual who will best perform the task. Some people test poorly and perform well. Some people test well and perform poorly. Some people test well and perform well. Some people test poorly and perform poorly...

Old 01-22-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
So like I said, I want the individual who will best perform the task. Some people test poorly and perform well. Some people test well and perform poorly. Some people test well and perform well. Some people test poorly and perform poorly...
How will you determine that if you disregard testing score as any indication? Do you just go by skin color or what?

Old 01-22-2018, 01:00 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Many days, I find myself wondering about the average IQ of posters in the CD politics forum.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
How will you determine that if you disregard testing score as any indication? Do you just go by skin color or what?
What planet do you live on?

Since when do you know an attorney’s bar scores when you hire them? Schools, GPAs and experience matter and the degree to which each matters depends on how many years someone has been practicing. Reputation matters.

In many, if not the majority of professional careers, there is a final exam required to practice and, one an individual passes, they are deemed fit to enter the practice. The specific scores are not necessarily considered. (And IQ tests are not a part of the evaluation, sorry.)

What does skin color have to do with this? So many of you are obsessed with color.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
What planet do you live on?

Since when do you know an attorney’s bar scores when you hire them? Schools, GPAs and experience matter and the degree to which each matters depends on how many years someone has been practicing. Reputation matters.

In many, if not the majority of professional careers, there is a final exam required to practice and, one an individual passes, they are deemed fit to enter the practice. The specific scores are not necessarily considered. (And IQ tests are not a part of the evaluation, sorry.)

What does skin color have to do with this? So many of you are obsessed with color.
Someone who passes an attorney's bar or other tests for professional practice does not "test poorly" . Those testers would fail it. You're changing your argument from where it originally was and the thread topic.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:25 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Or maybe not...you really don’t know. Last time I checked IQs are not included in resumes and in other general information provided about an individual. That’s because they are not considered indicative of one’s abilities.
As long as there are rigorous standards to become a doctor or lawyer it shouldn't be necessary to know their IQ scores. We should be able to assume that they needed high marks on relevant tests at many points on the road to entering their professions. But given affirmative action, diversity campaigns, etc., is that true anymore? If I found out that the person I had hired to treat me or take care of my legal affairs actually had an IQ of 93 it would be a huge red flag. Sure, it's possible that he or she is the very rare exception who can excel in their work despite not having much brain processing power. But much more likely the system which produces these professionals has been corrupted and has failed and my doctor or lawyer isn't very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies