Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 06:39 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,251,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
You should be arrested for bringing a firearm onto school property. Not to mention, the gun is not registered to the new owner, thus you would take full responsibility for it. Not to mention, most states have strict guidelines for selling weapons, which you could have very well broken.
Registered? Who registers guns? Only a moron registers his guns.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 904,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Men in Europe don't need a gun to feel 'tough' and 'manly'.
Neither do most law abiding gun owners.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:08 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,155,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
You should be arrested for bringing a firearm onto school property. Not to mention, the gun is not registered to the new owner, thus you would take full responsibility for it. Not to mention, most states have strict guidelines for selling weapons, which you could have very well broken.
It is illegal to bring a gun on school property. In my state, it is illegal to register guns.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:49 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,051,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You don't get it though. There is no skewing of the numbers. There are over 300 million firearms across our country. Yet most of the violence is concentrated in a few small areas across it, and some of those areas firearms are highly regulated. I know common sense is difficult for some, but if firearms were the problem, would we have violence everywhere in our country ? Not just in certain hotspots ?

And why am I even debating with you anyway ? You aren't from this country and don't understand except for the talking points you pick up from the media. Firearms will never be gone from this country, sure they could be banned, but then only the law abiding will follow that, leaving the criminals to have them. It's just something you don't get. Even though the same kind of thing is happening in your country, only instead of a firearm it is a knife.
I fail to see what that has to do with it? The fact is the USA has an enormously huge amount of people shot to death every year much much much much much more than in the UK, even if you try to discount half of them AND even if you include people stabbed to death in the UK with UK stats!!! It doesn't make any difference how many different ways you can think up to try and 'skew' the statistics, the USA has a shameful amount of people shot to death every year, it really is up to you guys - keep lots of guns and let people walk about the towns and cities with them and a lot of people are going to get shot, if you want less people shot to death every year put better 'controls' on your guns, it isn't rocket science.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:29 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,155,727 times
Quote:
I fail to see what that has to do with it? The fact is the USA has an enormously huge amount of people shot to death every year much much much much much more than in the UK, even if you try to discount half of them AND even if you include people stabbed to death in the UK with UK stats!!! It doesn't make any difference how many different ways you can think up to try and 'skew' the statistics, the USA has a shameful amount of people shot to death every year, it really is up to you guys - keep lots of guns and let people walk about the towns and cities with them and a lot of people are going to get shot, if you want less people shot to death every year put better 'controls' on your guns, it isn't rocket science.
And how would you put better control on guns that would affect criminals who don't obey laws anyway?
According to the FBI, CCW holders are the least likely group to commit a crime, even less likely than the police.
(and there are an estimated 20,000 gun laws on the books now) ( and 1/3 or more of those gun deaths are suicides, who most likely would just find another way to do it)

Old 02-08-2018, 10:44 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,569,323 times
Quote:
Of course the first ones to give up control of their guns are the ones committing crimes. Brilliant.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:56 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,506,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
How about- like another poster suggested as did I on an older thread, about REALLY going after the root causes of these incidents.
Or is that too "emotional" or " feel good"? Is it better to try the badass , macho , meet force with force, " who's the baddest hombre in the room" tough guy solution, born of watching too many Arnold movies? America has a VERY serious cultural issue and gun violence is a result. I bet if more civilized countries suddenly adopted America's 2A, there would be a noticeable increase in gun crime, but nowhere near America's levels. Why?
Finding out would save a lot of lives.
Nah better to focus on more locking and loading. More gun laws and less guns or less gun laws and more guns- it doesn't matter really. Gun violence won't go away either way. Eliminate ALL gun laws And it won't reduce gun violence rates, it'll be a band aid solution to satisfy the ammosexuals who think they are the badass heroes saving the day. Truth is it gives you gun nuts a false sense of security and accomplishment
if guns cause death and are the root problem how come I've grown up with guns in my house and have yet to harm or take life with one outside of deer hogs turkey and water fowl?

I have yet to hear the reason why for that...

False sense of security. I take it you didn't grow up where the average response time from 911 was 27 minutes...
That's a false sense of security...

Old 02-12-2018, 10:20 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,366,107 times
Quote:
Stefan Molyneux said it best:
"If you are for gun control, then you're not against guns, because guns 
will be needed to disarm people. You'll need to go around, pass laws, and shoot people who resist, kick in doors, and throw people in jail, and so on; rip up families, just to take away guns.
So it's not that you're anti-gun, because you'll need the police's guns to take away other people's guns, so in actuality, you are very pro-gun, you just believe that only the government
 (which is of course so reliable, honest, moral, virtuous, and forward-thinking) 
should be allowed to have guns.
So there's no such thing as gun control, there's only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small political elite and their minions.
Gun control is a misnomer."

Old 02-12-2018, 11:25 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,842,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Stefan Molyneux said it best:
"If you are for gun control, then you're not against guns, because guns 
will be needed to disarm people. You'll need to go around, pass laws, and shoot people who resist, kick in doors, and throw people in jail, and so on; rip up families, just to take away guns.
So it's not that you're anti-gun, because you'll need the police's guns to take away other people's guns, so in actuality, you are very pro-gun, you just believe that only the government
 (which is of course so reliable, honest, moral, virtuous, and forward-thinking) 
should be allowed to have guns.
So there's no such thing as gun control, there's only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small political elite and their minions.
Gun control is a misnomer."
So-called gun amnesties have worked successfully in many countries, for example Australia and Finland. I doubt many people love their guns so much that they would go to jail or worse - get killed for them. If your gun is more important than your family, then I wonder if one's priorities are in order.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...han-50000-guns

Most countries who have very strict gun laws, the people also strongly support these policies. So therefore the "shoot people who resist, kick in doors, and throw people in jail, and so on; rip up families just to take away guns" thing isn't realistic.

The hint that a person is pro gun because he/she only wants the law enforcement and military to have guns is an odd thing to suggest, though I think Molyneux thinks that the state is inherently evil and thus an armed populace is needed. Doesn't make any sense, because there are stable democracies like the UK with hardly any civilian guns, and oppressive regimes with a massively armed populace like Saudi Arabia.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:42 PM

29,568 posts, read 14,720,164 times
Quote:
You certainly fail to see it. Your statement proves it. "More controls" does not equate to less gun violence. We see this on a daily basis, just turn on the local news for places like Camden NJ, Baltimore, MD.
Until you live here and understand what the issues are , the deeper issues that one doesn't see by only reading headlines then you might just get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies