Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 07:30 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Well said. I said back before the election that I would support the mainstream candidate who was toughest on illegal immigration and that was Trump. If he does amnesty then he can drown in the swamp for all I care.

I agree with you. If Trump gives these DACAs amnesty it will be committing political suicide for the future. These DACAs are of the child bearing age and their U.S. born kids would be voting Democrat once they reach adulthood. If the DACAs are given citizenship they would do likewise. A recipe for disaster for the GOP.

As I have said before, they are already demanding that their parents get to remain also crying out the separation of families thingy and that would be the next battle in congress. if they gain amnesty also the GOP is toast forever. What fools they would be to go along with any of this including Trump if he signs such a bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 07:34 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Thought Mexico was going to pay for the wall.

What is the source of the $25 billion? Guess the US could not honor Obama's pledge to give Israel the largest military aid package in history- $38 billion to a country with 8.5 million people. No wonder Israel can provide Univeral Healthcare ( including birth control and abortion) to all its people and " affordable government subsidized university education.
Exactly.

We give that country so much money they can give their own citizens luxuries we deny ourselves. They have become the sacred cow of nations and we just keep shelling it out.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:38 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It shouldn't now or before. It sends the wrong message to the rest of the world. It tells the world our laws aren't worth the paper they are written on. It says the only thing our government officials are interested in is getting votes. Most of what is wrong with America started in the early 60's. That is when our downfall started. That's when the Mafia took over our government.

I remember when people who crossed over our nation's wall were shot. Doing that to keep us safe was just a horrible thing so you see where it has gotten us. We are not safe and they are still coming over the wall.
You remember this? When did it happen? Where? What wall? Give us some specifics, because I don't ever recall hearing or reading about people being shot coming over a wall into this country.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We have had too many amnesties already. Time to give us our part of the compromise. Build the wall and put DACA's on the other side of it. The only way to solve DACA is to deport them. Anything else will only encourage others to do it their way. Immigration laws should be in control of immigration; not slipping over the border.

Insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting other results. We have several million more illegals here now than the last time we had amnesty. Tell me how it makes sense to give amnesty AGAIN? More amnesty is insane.
I totally agree with you. You're a voice of reason among a lot of fools that are willing to compromise on our border security by granting yet another amnesty. They apparently have not thought through what this will do to our future. I don't understand why they completely ignore that at a very minimum that will be 800,000 jobs lost to Americans. They'll be giving birth to more future Democrats also. I want the wall but I'd rather just work with what we have rather than granting amnesty to these DACAs. It's a fool's deal.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:49 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Hmmm. I still think the wall is a boondoggle when you look at all the current stats and so on. I mean, just today I heard on the radio that most drugs come through the Post Office, shattering the myth of one reason we need The Wall.

But maybe if that’s what has to come to compromise...ugh. Complicated.
Yes, it is a boondoggle. But it will never be built out completely.

I say give him his toy. The DACA kids belong here.

Besides, what one Congress and/or President orders to be built, another Congress/President can order to not be built.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:53 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,331 times
I'm a left-leaning independent.

I think addressing illegal immigration is extremely important and it needs to be taken up. But I don't agree with 'the wall'. It's going to cost far too much money and is a waste of taxpayer dollars (because Mexico sure as hell isn't going to pay for it). However, I do absolutely agree with extra funds being deployed to truly secure the border. Illegal immigration is just that...illegal, and it needs to be stopped. No other developed nation would put up with it to the extent that the US has. And I've lived in multiple developed countries around the world for years.

I also think we should move to a points-based immigration system akin to Australia and Canada. I'm not saying that we still shouldn't allow family reunification, but it should be limited to who you can bring over (spouses, kids, etc.), and should be focused on who can bring the best skills that our country needs. This to me is just common sense, and why some people in my liberal camp don't agree with this is mind-boggling to me. We need engineers, doctors, nurses, scientists, tech people, etc. These are the people who we should be begging to come, from anywhere in the world. No discrimination on where you're coming from as long as you bring skills.

However, I don't agree with Trump's current proposal to cut legal immigration in half. Our birthrate is already declining, and we need legal immigrants to support our entire economic system. In fact, I'd up the number of legal immigrants coming (provided it was based on them coming with needed skills),but illegal immigration needs to be stopped.

Why can't we have a bill that stops illegal immigration, allows legal immigration and truly reforms our system so that it betters our country for everyone. The GOP and the Dems both suck.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
Only in delusional minds will building a wall work.The mexican border is 1,954 miles. Even if they build more pieces there will still be areas in which people could cross. Not to mention there are many other ways to cross, like legally, borrowing a passport/id from somebody who looks similar, hidden in cars/trucks, and many more creative forms.

More border security will only result in more people getting caught, but people will continue to try to cross. In other words, border security is like giving an aspirin for cancer patients, it may help relieving some pain for a few hours but it won't fix the problem.

The problem is not just something that foreign countries have to fix. It is a consequence of the irrational state of the economy. Mexican don't want to leave their country any more than american want to move to mexico, but all the policies on trade, war on drugs, and deregulation force people to look for a better life.

For those who keep calling illegal immigrants criminals for crossing international borders, remember that they are wanted by american employers. In fact, in many cases they are preferred.

Another clueless one. I have posted a couple of links proving that the good walls do work. There is no plan to put a wall along the entire border as it's not necessary. All we need are the 700 miles along the most porous areas of our border completed as there are natural barriers on much of the rest. Fewer people will try to cross at these more difficult and dangerous areas and the Border Patrol can take care of those areas.

No one is "forced" to enter another country illegally and put the blame on Mexico's government not ours. No one has a right to a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them. They are just as guilty as the employers who hire them and they both need to be held accountable. Granting them amnesty is not making them accountable. Doesn't mater what these greedy employers want or prefer they are breaking the law and it's about increasing their profits thru cheap, illegal workers.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote more BS! "Reagan was a strong supporter of amnesty for undocumented immigrants. Times were different back then and the GOP was not yet a white nationalist party. Reagan would not be loved by today's Republicans".

No such thing as an undocumented immigrant and the GOP is not a white nationalist party.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:00 PM

244 posts, read 181,056 times
Actually not the most terrible deal in my mind. Indeed, no need for continuing the diversity lottery and do need more border enforcement (still think a literal wall is dumb) plus e-verify for all.

Just ease off on "chain migration" by still allowing parents and unmarried children (but eliminating siblings and married children as supported categories)...and this will be the first initiative coming from Trump's administration this liberal can support.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Both the far left and far right are so out of touch on this. I want to stop illegal immigration but doing what you suggest will start a civil war and throw the country into a depression. Horrible idea. We are going to ruin all American's lives just to get out a few million illegals.

You know Hitler had the same idea. He told all the jews to leave. Gave them time to do so. Some did many didn't. We all know what happened to the ones who stayed.

Previous administrations have screwed up on immigration and kicked the can down the road. If someone came here as a child and graduated high school has stayed on the straight and narrow no need to deport them. But they should never be citizens. And stop the chain immigration. Their parents broke the law by bringing their kids and themselves here. They need to go back.

Nonsense! Ridding our country of illegal aliens will be the best thing that could happen to this country and our citizens. I'm not talking about mass round ups either. We just need to enforce our immigration laws as they make themselves known. Removing all of the incentives for them to remain here will cause many to self-deport. How is jobs opening up for Americans and no longer having crowded schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods and not having to fork over $100 billion a year for illegal aliens, going to ruin American's lives?

Oh, here comes the Hitler/Nazi card just like clockwork. Get back with us when we start burning illegal aliens in ovens, will you?

There is every reason not to pass DACA for any of them for reasons I have stated over and over in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies