Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:34 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

If it is just as reliable and even cheaper than LNG/coal, then awesome, sign me up.

I don't honestly GAFF where my electricity comes from, just that when I flip light switches, the lights come on, and when I pay my bill, it's the least amount of money possible. If solar and wind give me 100% reliability and are cheaper, then yay for solar and wind.

Most people in America fall into my category. They don't give a flying rat's patootie about how the electricity is freaking generated, they just want 100% reliability when they flip switches in their houses, at ANY TIME OF THE DAY, and they want it at the lowest freaking price. That's the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:05 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If it is just as reliable and even cheaper than LNG/coal, then awesome, sign me up.

I don't honestly GAFF where my electricity comes from, just that when I flip light switches, the lights come on, and when I pay my bill, it's the least amount of money possible. If solar and wind give me 100% reliability and are cheaper, then yay for solar and wind.

Most people in America fall into my category. They don't give a flying rat's patootie about how the electricity is freaking generated, they just want 100% reliability when they flip switches in their houses, at ANY TIME OF THE DAY, and they want it at the lowest freaking price. That's the market.
If Germany is any indication, electricity rates will skyrocket if we add large amounts of solar and wind capacity to the grid. Why? Mainly because we will have to maintain two power generation systems instead of just one. We will have one system for when the sun is shining and the wind is blowing, and one system for nights with no wind. Maintaining two whole systems won’t be cheap.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:17 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If Germany is any indication, electricity rates will skyrocket if we add large amounts of solar and wind capacity to the grid. Why? Mainly because we will have to maintain two power generation systems instead of just one. We will have one system for when the sun is shining and the wind is blowing, and one system for nights with no wind. Maintaining two whole systems won’t be cheap.
I totally understand that. My response was a general "whatever" to the sanctimonious folks who decry all forms of power generation other than pure renewables, as if anyone disagreeing with them are troglodytes.

The point is NOBODY CARES WHERE THEIR POWER COMES FROM, just that is 100% reliable and as cheap as possible. OK, some of your more hyper Sierra Club types are "ren3wablez 4 lyfe" and the dedicated coal miner might be "c0al 4 lyfe!" ad all that, but in general, the 98% of people in the middle of the issue don't freaking care either way. Just satisfy the following three conditions, and people won't care if it is squirrels running on wheels making AC powah:
  1. I don't have to do any work to make the electricity happen
  2. I have 100% guarantee that when I flip the switch, the power is there
  3. The electricity is the cheapest possible.
Poll a thousand or a million, and I bet the people having those three requirements is >95%, and none will GAFF what tech actually generates the juice. Not even a little bit.

You and I know that renewable plants require on-demand backups powered by fossil fuel or nuclear to provide anywhere close to 100% reliable power to the grid, and that makes it more expensive, not less. But if it could be done at lower cost and still be close to 100% reliable on the grid, then nobody would effing care.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

I agree, but will say that if all things were equal, I'd rather use solar or wind. Every couple years we look into solar panels - over and over. They're still unaffordable when compared to our current costs. It takes way to long to recoup the initial layout of money, our location isn't ideal given the still-existing inefficiencies of solar....

Even with the Chinese dumping their solar, we still couldn't justify the expense. Coal and other fuels aren't going anywhere. At least not by 2020.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
The real problem here, we are not privy to ALL the possible energy alternatives, the Invention Secrecy Act of 1951 has suppressed numerous energy related discoveries.

If we really want the free market to work, de-classify all this stuff they keep secret and watch problems get solved, even if that may be a bad thing for some industries.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:35 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
If you or one of your loved ones was on Life support in the ICU what would you rather have powering that facility? Coal plant or a solar plant.......

Old 01-30-2018, 09:05 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Problem is, the money is not in the production of Solar cells... its in installing it.

In the US, 2000 work producing them, while 260.000 work installing and servicing them.

Solar is finaly getting its shot, because the Chinese need clean energy, massively subsidizes by the EU in its infancy, overproduced solar cells, making the cost of panels plummet like a rock. Continued improvements in efficiency and MASSIVE production, the cells are becoming cheaper and better every year.

Putting a 30% tariff, will make sure fewer Solar plants will be built in the US. Lucky coal miners..
'splain please.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:08 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Way too many people still want to diss solar and wind power production. The market will always win, and with those being or becoming cheaper than any other type of electrical power production.

Why deny that?

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...wables-cheaper
No one wants ot diss solar or wind.

What we do want to do is have realistic conversations about it.
Any form of energy that costs less, and allows greater access to energy is very good for all of us.

The issue has always been forcing more expensive forms of energy of people for the sake of some governmental social experiment.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:10 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Problem is, the money is not in the production of Solar cells... its in installing it.

In the US, 2000 work producing them, while 260.000 work installing and servicing them.

Solar is finaly getting its shot, because the Chinese need clean energy, massively subsidizes by the EU in its infancy, overproduced solar cells, making the cost of panels plummet like a rock. Continued improvements in efficiency and MASSIVE production, the cells are becoming cheaper and better every year.

Putting a 30% tariff, will make sure fewer Solar plants will be built in the US. Lucky coal miners..
uhm,... Al Gore thought the tariff on Solar panels from China was a GOOD IDEA.

Al Gore Defends Trump's Solar Tariff | Fortune

Old 01-30-2018, 09:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Way too many people still want to diss solar and wind power production. The market will always win, and with those being or becoming cheaper than any other type of electrical power production.

Why deny that?

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...wables-cheaper
It doesn't matter how cheap they get. Wind and solar cannot replace plants powered by gas, coal, nuclear or hydro. They may idle them at times, they cannot replace them. Since the capital costs to build an maintain these facilities cannot be eliminated your electricity rates will necessarily rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies