Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you heard of the violent Central American gang MS13?
Yes 97 88.18%
No 13 11.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 04:49 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I know, LIBERALS> They see them as tattoo artists and potential voters.
Don't forget they'll also mow your lawn, clean your toilet, make you delicious food and so much more enrichment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 04:51 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Sorry--I never really heard of them before this week. Apparently they originated under Reagan in the 90s. I imagine that Reagan's military and financial aid to the Salvadoran government helped to foment the violence in El Salvador that resulted in people fleeing the country and coming here.

Lived in NYC and Miami, but never heard of them there.

"...MS-13 is an international criminal gang that originated in Los Angeles, California, US in the 1980s. The gang later spread to many parts of the continental United States, Canada, Mexico, and Central America, and is active in urban and suburban areas. Most members are of Central American origin, principally El Salvador..."
You mean Clinton who was Pres in the 90s!

Reagan was Pres in the early 80s (81-88)

The Mara Salvatrucha gang originated in Los Angeles, set up in the 1980s by Salvadoran immigrants in the city's Pico-Union neighborhood who immigrated to the United States after the Central American civil wars of the 1980s.

Reagan worked with Tip O'neill and the Dems who promised they would give him border security in exchange for amnesty. They got amnesty first and then turned their back on the promises they made. If they had done what they agreed to do the MS problem would be far less costly than it is now.

Pretty much the reason the left are so po'ed now; Trump isn't falling for it again. A "clean DACA bill" in exchange for border security, immigration reform, and an end to chain migration, is just the same BS promise they will go back on.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:56 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Joy Reid is a lying sack of excrement who should be fired. The bimbo was born in Brooklyn and raised in Flatbush for part of her life. There is no way the world's stupidest person wouldn't know that MS-13 has been a scourge on Long Island.

You Democrats need to be careful...you are making yourselves easy to hate and you are out of your minds if you think you have 2018 wrapped up.
I don't think reid is stupid, but she has a highly inflated view of herself like all on MSNBC, in my opinion. these talking heads live in a bubble of self-congratulation, much like Hollywood. if they got out and talked to anyone who didn't agree with them, their egos would be terribly deflated as they don't have any idea how misinformed they are about so many americans they hold in such contempt. reid and her fellow progressives on this network are just well paid, clueless products who make their network a living by preaching to their equally clueless choir. that is all they are.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:56 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Sorry--I never really heard of them before this week. Apparently they originated under Reagan in the 90s. I imagine that Reagan's military and financial aid to the Salvadoran government helped to foment the violence in El Salvador that resulted in people fleeing the country and coming here.

"...MS-13 is an international criminal gang that originated in Los Angeles, California, US in the 1980s. The gang later spread to many parts of the continental United States, Canada, Mexico, and Central America, and is active in urban and suburban areas. Most members are of Central American origin, principally El Salvador..."

Reagan was the 80s. Then one term under Bush 1 and the rest of the 90s under Clinton. The 80s saw more focus on gangs like the Crips and Bloods but the Hispanic gangs displaced them. The latter after all have the ethnic and cultural support of the cartels which translates into control of the drug trade on the largest scale. With that comes the money and power.

MS13 is the cartels boots on the ground in the US. I suppose that it could be arguably stated that this all began under Reagan as it was his administration that really kicked off prosecuting the "war on drugs" with zeal. That put the big money in the drug trade on the road to it's current level. Risk and reward.

MS13 and the Mexican and Central/South American cartels control the lions share of the drug trade in the US. There are other Hispanic gangs but most of these pay homage to MS13. It's rather amazing to me that anyone could have not heard of them till only recently. But to be honest I actually have to envy that.

I often wish that the issue they present was small enough to escape notice.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:06 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You mean Clinton who was Pres in the 90s!

Reagan was Pres in the early 80s (81-88)

The Mara Salvatrucha gang originated in Los Angeles, set up in the 1980s by Salvadoran immigrants in the city's Pico-Union neighborhood who immigrated to the United States after the Central American civil wars of the 1980s.Reagan worked with Tip O'neill and the Dems who promised they would give him border security in exchange for amnesty. They got amnesty first and then turned their back on the promises they made. If they had done what they agreed to do the MS problem would be far less costly than it is now.Pretty much the reason the left are so po'ed now; Trump isn't falling for it again. A "clean DACA bill" in exchange for border security, immigration reform, and an end to chain migration, is just the same BS promise they go back on.
Uh--yeah. They formed in the 80s and Reagan was president in the 80s. You just confirmed what I stated. And the Reagan admin contributed to the actions of the Salvadoran government (and many other governments that they aided under the table).

Ya just never know what the consequences of American war-mongering are going to be. Al Qaeda, ISIS, MS13, etc.

Trump isn't falling for what? That is total BS. Trump is using them to promote his agenda, the way he uses anyone and anything he can get his little mind around. Did you hear Trump ever mention them before running for president? Naaa. He wasn't interested, so give me a break about how much he cares now. I do not believe him.

As far as the SOTU, where was the family of the victim who was mowed down by a Neo-nazi in Charlotte? Hmmm?

Trump doesn't fool all of us.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:15 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:

Yeah, I don’t believe you. I’ve seen too many of your posts to think you’re that ignorant.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Uh--yeah. They formed in the 80s and Reagan was president in the 80s. You just confirmed what I stated. And the Reagan admin contributed to the actions of the Salvadoran government (and many other governments that they aided under the table).

Ya just never know what the consequences of American war-mongering are going to be. Al Qaeda, ISIS, MS13, etc.

Trump isn't falling for what? That is total BS. Trump is using them to promote his agenda, the way he uses anyone and anything he can get his little mind around. Did you hear Trump ever mention them before running for president? Naaa. He wasn't interested, so give me a break about how much he cares now. I do not believe him.

As far as the SOTU, where was the family of the victim who was mowed down by a Neo-nazi in Charlotte? Hmmm?

Trump doesn't fool all of us.

Might be a typo but you wrote "under Reagan in the 90s." Nevertheless MS 13 was not as noticed as the Crips and Bloods in the 80s but it didn't take them long to take the reins of power. The drug trade is a twofold benefit for Americas enemies as by satisfying the demand for drugs our society is undermined and the profits from their sale finances organizations such as you mentioned.

Hundreds of billions of dollars worth. I find myself often postulating how I would effect things if drugs were to be legalized and the financial rug jerked out from underneath our enemies who depend on them to finance their operations. It paints an interesting picture.

After the Volstead act was repealed it didn't take long for drugs to take the place of booze as the criminal cash cow. And despite the lessons of the prohibition era and the obvious financial windfall that drugs became in replacing booze on the illicit market for criminals and unfriendly governments alike the "war" goes on. As unwinnable now as prohibition was in the 30s.

What would the cartels fallback on if drugs were taken out of the equation I wonder? How would terrorist organizations like ISIS keep themselves financed without them? Oh, they receive a lot of monetary support from OPEC oil money of course. Our "friends" the Saudis providing a huge portion of those funds.

But drugs, particularly heroin, supply a big chunk of funding for terrorist organizations as well and the cartels and street gangs like MS13 are completely dependent on drug money. Nothing else they are invested in comes close. Makes for interesting hypothesis...

Old 02-01-2018, 06:26 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Uh--yeah. They formed in the 80s and Reagan was president in the 80s. You just confirmed what I stated.
You do realize that a couple of us were correcting YOU because YOU said "Sorry--I never really heard of them before this week. Apparently they originated under Reagan in the 90s"

NVPlumber beat me to it again!

BTW, I've never defended the US for warmongering. I was just 18 months from being drafted to Viet Nam, so why would I?

Where do you get your news to have never heard of MS13? They've been on the local newscasts in Los Angeles for more than three decades. Granted they began here, but they have been in more than 40 states for twenty years.

It's almost like saying "you've never heard of street gangs"... quite hard to believe at this point. I'd almost think you were being intentionally naive.

Like this below, pretty much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, I don’t believe you. I’ve seen too many of your posts to think you’re that ignorant.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You do realize that a couple of us were correcting YOU because YOU said "Sorry--I never really heard of them before this week. Apparently they originated under Reagan in the 90s"

NVPlumber beat me to it again!

BTW, I've never defended the US for warmongering. I was just 18 months from being drafted to Viet Nam, so why would I?

Where do you get your news to have never heard of MS13? They've been on the local newscasts in Los Angeles for more than three decades. Granted they began here, but they have been in more than 40 states for twenty years.

It's almost like saying "you've never heard of street gangs"... quite hard to believe at this point. I'd almost think you were being intentionally naive.

Like this below, pretty much.

Yea. to have not heard of MS13 at all until as short a time ago as claimed there does seem rather...odd. You'd bout have to have been living up some tributary n the Amazon populated by no more than monkeys to be that in the dark. They're in the news as top headlines pretty frequently and there's been slews of documentary programs about them.

They are quite literally the cartels forward deployed troops and are in most major US cities and can be found in a lot of quite rural areas as well. They have a presence on a big reservation not far from where I live here in NV that's in the middle of nowhere. They oversee a lot of meth cooking there and getting the product muled out to their distribution points.

MS13 is huge. They are hardly just an inner city group of lowlifes. They are famous (or infamous rather) for their hyper violence and total disregard for human life, even their own. Got their fingers in just about everything illegal. Drugs are their bread and butter but human trafficking, guns, money laundering, stolen anything, contract killing, protection rackets, the list goes on. If they can turn a buck with it they do it.

They make the Crips and Bloods look like choir boys and even the Chinese Triads are not as brutal or less caring about human life. Even brain dead, methed out, fleabag, outlaw biker gangs like the Vagos hesitate to cross swords with them. Big White prison gangs like the Aryan Warriors are in bed with them in the drug trade and trade wet work with them all the time as well.

Yea,I'm having trouble buying off on the hadn't heard of them thing too. Why anyone would claim ignorance of such a huge organization with the type of notoriety they have eludes me. What's the thinking ya know? But whatever.

My thinking about MS13 and every other street gang running amok in our country is that they present a VERY good case for the 2A as it applies to the militia. LE agencies from local, state and federal levels would benefit from well organized well trained and well armed citizen militia in the areas these gangs are terrorizing. To my thinking they represent a foreign based terrorist threat and greatly threaten our national security and are making life a living hell for the people who have to live in the areas they hold sway.

hey are pretty much the governing body in many areas and hold on to that power by brutalizing people. It would make me feel quite warm and fuzzy to turn on the news one morning and hear about a couple hundred ticked off honest citizens in (pick a city or even rural area) armed with legally owned and serious firepower chopping MS13 to doll rags and sending them packing with their tails twixt their legs.

As I see things from my front porch it's coming to that. LE can't rein them in. Hell they are to busy arresting and jailing honest citizens for legitimate self defense to spend time taking on the real criminals. It's easier and more lucrative for them to go after people who aren't really criminals. And a lot less dangerous too.

The real bad guys don't have a problem shooting at the cops.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:26 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
An international gang created by the war on drugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies