Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 07:01 AM

29,499 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

I definitely believe we are seeing a few generations of children and young adults growing up with lack of moral character, respect, accountability, or the ability to handle life when things don't go their way. Of course not all, but enough to make it seem like a trend.
Just look at the last 20 years. How are kids behaving in schools ? I remember reading more than one article that had a kid or youth assaulting a teacher or school bus driver. Look at some of the mass killings we've had. Remember the young adult that drove his BWM thru a group of people ? What about some of these school shootings ?
I am active in motor sports, particularly ATV/SxS's and Snowmobiling. In the past 5-8 years I've seen a big change in the sport. It seems as if in general respect is gone. There is a lot of disrespect for the wilderness that we should be thankful to rid in and disrespect towards other riders. This gets talked about on the sport specific sights, so it parallels much of what we talk about here. Threads will get started and the majority of replies tend to be a lot of FO's and age related insults. Again, not all but enough to create conversations about it.

The question is why are we seeing these changes ? We are quick to point out single parents, and poverty levels but I don't think it is that easy to find the culprit of this. I think there are many more root causes that are buried way deeper into our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 07:06 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
When I was 13 years old, I worked in a bakery...got there at 3 a.m. in the morning and worked until about 10 a.m. When I came of age, I worked nights and weekends at a local diner as a waitress. Parents fear allowing their kids to work, so they make up excuses for the kids, that they can't find jobs...

Find out where there are older communities, and have kids go in and be a helper....yard work, etc.
"José got the job because he was willing to work 12 hours a day but my workers permit only allows me to work 4 hours on school days and 6 hours on weekend days" is not an excuse, it's a reason. I'm not saying there are zero opportunities out there but it is not the same job market out there that we grew up in. And depending on where you live a kid can get in trouble for doing yard work, shoveling snow and things like that without a permit. And professional landscapers will turn you in if you're stepping on their business. And guess who they usually hire? Even paper routes have been taken over by adults nowadays.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:12 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I definitely believe we are seeing a few generations of children and young adults growing up with lack of moral character, respect, accountability, or the ability to handle life when things don't go their way. Of course not all, but enough to make it seem like a trend.
Just look at the last 20 years. How are kids behaving in schools ? I remember reading more than one article that had a kid or youth assaulting a teacher or school bus driver. Look at some of the mass killings we've had. Remember the young adult that drove his BWM thru a group of people ? What about some of these school shootings ?
I am active in motor sports, particularly ATV/SxS's and Snowmobiling. In the past 5-8 years I've seen a big change in the sport. It seems as if in general respect is gone. There is a lot of disrespect for the wilderness that we should be thankful to rid in and disrespect towards other riders. This gets talked about on the sport specific sights, so it parallels much of what we talk about here. Threads will get started and the majority of replies tend to be a lot of FO's and age related insults. Again, not all but enough to create conversations about it.

The question is why are we seeing these changes ? We are quick to point out single parents, and poverty levels but I don't think it is that easy to find the culprit of this. I think there are many more root causes that are buried way deeper into our society.
very good post, yes, people don't do things for one reason, but for many....In total agreement here with all you've written, thank you

Old 02-05-2018, 07:15 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
"José got the job because he was willing to work 12 hours a day but my workers permit only allows me to work 4 hours on school days and 6 hours on weekend days" is not an excuse, it's a reason. I'm not saying there are zero opportunities out there but it is not the same job market out there that we grew up in. And depending on where you live a kid can get in trouble for doing yard work, shoveling snow and things like that without a permit. And professional landscapers will turn you in if you're stepping on their business. And guess who they usually hire? Even paper routes have been taken over by adults nowadays.
maybe, maybe not....I've seen restaurants hire people under the table, so.....

and yes, your right, in agreement, it isn't the same job market, however, there are jobs out there....and people look for excuses for their kids not to work....

I have a cousin whose daughter is spoiled rotten...she looks for all the reason's in the world not to work and live at home, she's in her 3rd year of college. If she truly wanted to work, there are jobs out there, but you've bot to hustle, and perhaps you need to work at 2 places.

My neighbor's kids got a job as a bus boy in a restaurant....

Old 02-05-2018, 07:22 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Yes. It happens all too often.
No it doesn't. You have no proof and you will offer no proof either. If you had proof you would have already done so. But go ahead. I want to know the truth. I want to know out of , say every 100 single parent familys, how many husbands were forced to leave because the mother said "You have to leave and what I say goes". Well the mother said so, so the father is going to leave, right? That's how it works?

Old 02-05-2018, 07:29 AM

10,465 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I guess it doesn't take a village...just two strong parents!
Well, in my youth, it was also aunts, uncles and grandparents, plus a few long time family friends who helped raise us.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:57 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No it doesn't. You have no proof and you will offer no proof either. If you had proof you would have already done so. But go ahead. I want to know the truth. I want to know out of , say every 100 single parent familys, how many husbands were forced to leave because the mother said "You have to leave and what I say goes". Well the mother said so, so the father is going to leave, right? That's how it works?
Experience. I'm not going to post about all of my anecdotal experiences. I've known a number of men who have had it happen to them. One of the instances, involving a very close friend of mine, even tragically ended in suicide. Why is it hard for you to believe it happens, and happens often? Why does the thought of it make you angry? Most men I know love their children and want to take an active part in their lives, even after their marriages dissolve. That's not an outrageous statement to make, I think.

And yes when a woman tells a man to leave, either he leaves or she leaves and takes the kids. Or the cops are called, which usually doesn't end well.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You don't want welfare but you don't want women who can't afford a child to have an abortion. So they go on welfare. You guys make no sense to me. What do you want these women to do.
Seems, the sexual revolution has had some unintended consequences.
The solution is the murder the unwanted.

2 morally and socially bankrupt acts, one justifies the other.
The catalog of crazy grows at an accelerated rate, just so you guys don't have to call yourselves a Republican.
You guys feet are firmly planted and digging holes. You guys ain't moving. Enjoy the moral decline you guys created and perpetuate. It only gets worse. Until the Patriarchy returns, expect women to be passed around and thought of as sex toys and nothing else.
Keep that sexual revolution going! Women will lose even more protections a man provides.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:02 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
When I was 13 years old, I worked in a bakery...got there at 3 a.m. in the morning and worked until about 10 a.m. When I came of age, I worked nights and weekends at a local diner as a waitress. Parents fear allowing their kids to work, so they make up excuses for the kids, that they can't find jobs...

Find out where there are older communities, and have kids go in and be a helper....yard work, etc.
I'm sure you are telling the truth but...

I don't know many parents who would be willing to get up every morning at 3 to drive their middle schooler to a job. I'm assuming that you weren't out walking around in the dark at that hour...

Now both my girls worked as teens in the summer, but not until they were 16, because every employer had rules and would not hire under that age. And like most people these days, we lived in the suburbs/exurbs and not within walking distance of places of employment, so hey had to be driven to these jobs until they got their licenses and cars, which didn't happen until they were 17 (again, like most teens these days).

Luckily, I worked at home, so I would be the one to drive them 10 miles round trip to their minimum wage jobs, which wasn't very cost effective overall.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:05 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
What about men who are kicked out of the family by the wife for some petty reason and then never allowed to see their kids? I've seen more of that than what you describe.
WIFE??? It's more like the single parent is a woman who becomes a baby momma without first asking the baby daddy if he wants to be a father or wants a long term commitment, then she uses that child as a hostage when the man has moved on and is dating other women. Visitation is withheld for many reasons, including extorting money from the baby daddy that isn't necessarily going to be spent on the child. And when the child is allowed to spend time with his baby daddy, the child is used to find out who her ex is dating.

And that's the story I hear most often. The saddest example is at work. A 20 year old is a recent baby momma and on FB, her baby daddy posts about all the b*tches he is trying to band. Meanwhile, she spends silly money on hair extensions and flirts with the guys. Poor baby.

Free birth control and abortions for all can't break this unhealthy cycle. But ending welfare benefits could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies